Problems Accessing Emby on Synology NAS outside of local Network (and not only)

pauligle

pauligle

Hi there,

I am loving emby and I have a Premiere Account for about a year now.

Since one of the most recent updates (not sure when it happened) I am havng issues connecting with Emby Connect to my server.

Before that update I used to connect everywhere without any issues.

I know exactly the IP of the server and the 8096 port is open.

I haven't really changed anything.

However, since that update I cannot access emby outside of the local network and also I cannot even login properly through Emby Connect as the server is not even on the list when I m logging in through emby connect and I end being on an endless loop even after I login.

image.thumb.png.54193587f6b03a4aff20204443aeadea.png

I cleared cache , cookies , history and even used an incognito window but withou any luck.

Even when I am in the local network I cannot access through Emby Connect at all.

The only way I can access Emby is if I am on the local network and choose the specific IP address that is on:

http://xxx.xxx.1.1:8096/web/index.html 

Through that way, I am not asked to login at all and everything loads up properly.

I had no issues till a few months ago though.

Really not sure what is happening...

pauligle

yeap...and I am getting this error:

image.png.39f6896190b57745021dc6239e75db4a.png

Eventhough my server runs properly on (I can only access that if I type that address on my browser):

image.png.f31660464438510c6d57dbec8b963d37.png

pauligle
11 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is 192.168.1.1 also your router/gateway address?

Correct.

I tried adding this address on the first screen and I am getting this error I posted above.

i am wondering if this has to do with Synology's Quickconnect as I have recently seen other people on the forum having similar issues...

And to be totally honest everything was working perfectly for about a year without any issues. I think one of the latest emby updates might have broken something as nothing else changed on my whole setup (router-NAS-emby) but I might be wrong.

Edited by pauligle

When you're outside the local network, what url is in the browser address bar?

What is the actual address of your NAS device running Emby?

pauligle
11 hours ago, cayars said:

Is 192.168.1.1 also your router/gateway address?

Correct.

Outside of the local network I am trying to login through the Emby connect which is obviously not working.

Both links that Emby is showing as working/running for Emby (local/outside) cannot be accessed directly..

Does that sound like a router issue?

So..to wrap it up:

- I can only access Emby through this url locally:  http://192.168.1.1:8096/web/index.html#!/home

- I cannot access it through http://192.168.1.1:8096

- Emby Dashboard says it runs locally on that address and remotely on another (which I cannot access remotely anyways-that's why I am not posting it)

- Emby connect does not allow me to add any of those addresses as I am getting the error I posted above

- I am on a Synology NAS DS918+

- Everything used to work perfectly for about a year and then for some reason something broke

- I am on Emby Premiere

- I tried to install and reinstall Emby again and I am getting the exact same scenario...

Thanks again for the support guys!

Edited by pauligle

You have a network issue that needs resolving.

Your Emby server and your router can not both be .1 unless you're running a software based router on the same device as Emby.  Otherwise they are two different devices with two different IPs.  Things won't work correctly until you resolve this.

Edited by cayars

pauligle

Apologies, I misread your question previously.

The router has a different IP address.

And as I said before , everythig was working properly till very recently.

@pauligle Strange it was working but not working now.

If you have a PC that you can install TeamViewer (teamviewer.com) on I'd be happy to remote in and give you a hand with this.

Do you want to try this?  If so send me a PM and download/install teamviewer and we'll get right on with you in a remote session.

Carlo

pauligle
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

@pauligle Strange it was working but not working now.

If you have a PC that you can install TeamViewer (teamviewer.com) on I'd be happy to remote in and give you a hand with this.

Do you want to try this?  If so send me a PM and download/install teamviewer and we'll get right on with you in a remote session.

Carlo

Thanks Carlo.

I appreciate that.

Can do a teamviewer session in 4-5hrs (I cannot send you a PM for some reason as I get an error saying that you are not accepting any?)

Many thanks for your support!

When you start TeamViewer it will have a userid and one-time use passcode.  Send me those 2 things.

My mailbox was filled so I just emptied it a bit to make more room.  You should now be able to send PMs.

1 hour ago, levander said:

I have same problem plus I cannot login with emby connect/change password/use pin

@levander I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

levander
2 hours ago, Luke said:

@levander I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

I know that page. Remote access usually works fine. Today ATV and iOS apps refused to connect to remote server (sometimes without obvious reason it just happpens). I tried embyconnect but emby pin page did not recognize my login and pass. (This also often happens). So I tried add server and entered WAN address listed on the dashboard. Then it connected. 

*I restarted emby today after it prompted me to update reports. 

Edited by levander

I tried embyconnect but emby pin page did not recognize my login and pass. 

Are you sure you entered the correct username and password? What username did you enter into the emby pin page? Where did it come from?

levander

I don’t know. I have all passes in keychain and all of the sudden that didn’t work. I had to reset the password. But I could login on this forum without problem. 

misterB206

Did Pauligle get resolution?  I'm running into the same issue and even with port-forwarded, I can only access Emby on my local network.  (I'm also trying to connect through emby connect)

On 8/2/2020 at 8:51 PM, misterB206 said:

Did Pauligle get resolution?  I'm running into the same issue and even with port-forwarded, I can only access Emby on my local network.  (I'm also trying to connect through emby connect)

@pauligle 

I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

misterB206

I've definitely tried all of that and nothing worked.  I forwarded ports, I created virtual server, I set up DDNS through NoIP, I tried various ports and set everything up as needed, but what's odd is 'canyouseeme.org' can't see any port I assign to it.  It can, however, see the Plex and Audio Station ports in Synology NAS. 

It works fine on my home network, but I can't access it remotely.  Unless there's a simple answer I'm missing...

On 8/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, misterB206 said:

I've definitely tried all of that and nothing worked.  I forwarded ports, I created virtual server, I set up DDNS through NoIP, I tried various ports and set everything up as needed, but what's odd is 'canyouseeme.org' can't see any port I assign to it.  It can, however, see the Plex and Audio Station ports in Synology NAS. 

It works fine on my home network, but I can't access it remotely.  Unless there's a simple answer I'm missing...

Have you tried using a different public facing port other than the default?

On 8/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, misterB206 said:

I'd be happy to jump in with you on a remote session using TeamViewer and help review your overall setup.  You could be setup perfect but be "stuck" behind your ISP if using gnat or similar. If you can do a traceroute (tracert on windows from cmd prompt)  to anything such as 8.8.8.8 and see your "second hop" in the 10.x.x.x range that's a strong indicator of gnat.

Beside gnat, things that often trip people up are use of VPNs, proxy servers, incorrect port forwarding. Ports are always forwarded in your router to the IP address where the Server is running using ONLY ports 8096 non-SSL or 8920 SSL as the destination regardless of the port you enter in the network section of Emby (these match the firewall outside ports).

I can usually figure out what the issue is in about 2 or 3 minutes time if that, so don't be afraid to ask for remote help.  Just PM if you would like to do this.

Carlo