Problems Accessing Emby on Synology NAS outside of local Network (and not only)

pauligle

pauligle

Hey guys,

Apologies for not getting back to you on what my situation is but I am currently travelling and I am away from my server anyways.

@cayars: I'll contact you in about a month to schedule a quick Teamviewer session to sort it out and share with others our findings for the benefit of everyone.

Many thanks for your support guys!

pauligle
On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 AM, misterB206 said:

Did Pauligle get resolution?  I'm running into the same issue and even with port-forwarded, I can only access Emby on my local network.  (I'm also trying to connect through emby connect)

Nope... but I haven't been on a Teamviewer session with @cayars yet because I am travelling currently. I will schedule that in a months time and let everyone our resolution.

15 minutes ago, pauligle said:

@cayars: I'll contact you in about a month to schedule a quick Teamviewer session to sort it out and share with others our findings for the benefit of everyone.

No worries mate,

We're hear to help whenever you're ready.

misterB206
18 hours ago, cayars said:

I'd be happy to jump in with you on a remote session using TeamViewer and help review your overall setup.  You could be setup perfect but be "stuck" behind your ISP if using gnat or similar. If you can do a traceroute (tracert on windows from cmd prompt)  to anything such as 8.8.8.8 and see your "second hop" in the 10.x.x.x range that's a strong indicator of gnat.

Beside gnat, things that often trip people up are use of VPNs, proxy servers, incorrect port forwarding. Ports are always forwarded in your router to the IP address where the Server is running using ONLY ports 8096 non-SSL or 8920 SSL as the destination regardless of the port you enter in the network section of Emby (these match the firewall outside ports).

I can usually figure out what the issue is in about 2 or 3 minutes time if that, so don't be afraid to ask for remote help.  Just PM if you would like to do this.

Carlo

Thanks Carlo.  I wondered if it might be my ISP (ATT Fiber), because I've had issues with their DNS and had to switch to 1.1.1.1, but the traceroute shows nothing out of the ordinary:

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  210.220 ms  1.601 ms  1.371 ms
 2  192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254)  6.682 ms  9.139 ms  2.222 ms
 3  108-80-16-1.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net (108.80.16.1)  20.271 ms  11.210 ms  19.061 ms
 4  71.147.188.96 (71.147.188.96)  3.827 ms  6.125 ms  4.221 ms
 5  12.122.129.190 (12.122.129.190)  14.598 ms  14.990 ms  7.232 ms
 6  12.240.210.141 (12.240.210.141)  8.569 ms  5.267 ms  7.188 ms
 7  12.255.10.174 (12.255.10.174)  5.077 ms  7.068 ms  9.420 ms
 8  108.170.247.129 (108.170.247.129)  8.868 ms
    108.170.247.161 (108.170.247.161)  6.262 ms *
 9  dns.google (8.8.8.8)  5.107 ms

I'm not using a VPN on the router or NAS, and I tried a few different configs to port forward:

1. Let the router set it (8096 internal to 8096 external)
  2. Set unique ports (8096 internal and 23112 external)
  3. Set it in the NAS, which pushes the setting to the Router (trying both configs mentioned above)

No matter what I try, those ports just aren't visible, so it's truly been a stumper.  I'll PM you and see if we can get it sorted through teamviewer.  I appreciate your time!

If you go to https://canyouseeme.org/ (from a computer INSIDE your LAN) did it get your external IP correct?

Does that IP match the IP you see in the Emby Dashboard for the external IP?

What's it show if you port scan the 8096 port (assuming that's what you have Emby set to)?

Edited by cayars

misterB206
10 hours ago, cayars said:

If you go to https://canyouseeme.org/ (from a computer INSIDE your LAN) did it get your external IP correct?

Does that IP match the IP you see in the Emby Dashboard for the external IP?

What's it show if you port scan the 8096 port (assuming that's what you have Emby set to)?

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. Error: I could not see your service on xx.xx.xx.xx on port (8096)

*Edit*. I actually have that newest version installed.  

Edited by misterB206

Happy2Play
11 hours ago, misterB206 said:

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  210.220 ms  1.601 ms  1.371 ms
 2  192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254)  6.682 ms  9.139 ms  2.222 ms

@cayars isn't this showing a double nat?

Happy2Play, sure does look like a double NAT with the 192.168.1.254 address in there. Typically anytime your 2nd hop is a private address it's a double NAT situation (user or ISP caused).

What might need to be done is setup your Emby Server behind a public VPN service that you can get a dedicated IP and Port from that can be setup in Emby and doesn't change.  Then most likely need to setup some permanent routes to metadata providers for Emby use that do not go through the VPN (depending on VPN used).

In looking and helping people with setups like these you'll see Emby work fine pulling data from our metadata providers but fail or timeout when going through the VPN connection as it appears the metadata providers are blocking IP pools used by VPNs likely since they get abused by those addresses.

So with a bit of setup trickery and routing wizardry you can create a tunnel for your Emby server to the outside would with the use of a public VPN that has an exposed external IP (your new remote IP address) and then setting up VPN bypasses for the servers and services your Emby Server pulls data from (if they fail behind the VPN).

This type of VPN can be setup via software on the Emby Server if running on a PC, maybe on a NAS and of course directly in some home routers for whole house VPN usage.

Edited by cayars

misterB206

Ahh, that might explain why synology says I have to bridge my router when I try to do a router setup in the control panel. 

I suspected there was an issue because I put my TP-LINK router behind my AT&T router/modem, which also has wifi (which they don't let you modify or turn off. This issue didn't come up with my Spectrum modem, so it has to be the AT&T modem. 

I can set up a VPN on the NAS, but I wonder if I should fiddle with the AT&T router/modem? 

Or...If I were to plug the NAS into the AT&T modem, that should fix the issue, right?

Edited by misterB206

Happy2Play

@misterB206 in a double nat environment you need to port forward both routers.

If I am reading the traceroute correctly.  Hop 1 hits TP-LINK gateway and hop 2 hits AT&T router gateway.  

You would need to port forward AT&T router to TP-LINK and TP-LINK to system running Emby

So on AT&T router you would port forward 8096 to the Wan ip of your TP-LINK and on TP-LINK port forward 8096 to your Emby system ip.

https://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, misterB206 said:

Or...If I were to plug the NAS into the AT&T modem, that should fix the issue, right?

Assuming you can port forward the port to your NAS, yes.

But now I believe everything on the TP-LINK will have issues connecting as you have two different subnet, but could be wrong.  But we can work that issue if it arises.

Edited by Happy2Play

misterB206

Interesting.  So I plugged the NAS into my AT&T router, then set up a port forward and VOILA! I can access Emby outside my network.  I'm have the same ports forwarded on my TP-Link router, so I'm going to see if that creates the bridge needed.  Otherwise, I'll just keep it jacked into the AT&T router, since Plex and Emby can stream via external, so I don't have to be on the AT&T wifi, except to directly access the NAS.

Happy2Play

You will possibly have to apply LAN networks: via Dashboard-Networks in Emby.  But I am not totally sure how the comment of "If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network." applies here as you may have to apply 192.168.0.0/24,192.168.1.0/24 to that field.

Comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask entries for networks that will be considered on local network when enforcing bandwidth restrictions. If set, all other IP addresses will be considered to be on the external network and will be subject to the external bandwidth restrictions. If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network.

Edited by Happy2Play

misterB206

Fixed it.  Here's what I did in the AT&T Router:

image.png.e17d96fb27c4a6adbc00cb645eb16b47.png

I had to put both of these into the AT&T router and that seems to have bridged it. The NAS is accessed through port 5000.

Thanks you guys for catching the double NAT!  I was driving myself crazy.

• Like 1

Nicely done.  I was going to offer to remote in and help but seen you making progress.

Now that you've done the setup it probably makes sense now why things didn't work previously behind two NATs.

Congrats on getting this working as it's not the easiest thing to do if you've never done something like this before!

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1