Subtitle burn in does not support custom font?

doraemoe

doraemoe

Hi,

I'm trying the subtitle burn in function but I noticed it does not support custom font?

I looked at the ffmpeg transcode log and noticed

force_style='FontName=Droid Sans Fallback'

is passed as command line argument to ffmpeg. Is this the problem? If so, is it possible to disable this?

I do noticed in the log, the custom fonts are loaded (as well as Droid Sans Fallback)

10:41:40.556 [subtitles@f2 @ 0x1905140] Loading font file '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf'
10:41:40.572 [subtitles@f2 @ 0x1905140] Loading font file '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/fonts/a-font-file.otf'
10:41:40.595 [subtitles@f2 @ 0x1905140] Loading font file '/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/fonts/another-font-file.ttf'

Thanks.

Hi, we plan to review this in future updates to try to support custom fonts. Thanks.

• 3 years later...

How does the latest beta server trigger the burning of ASS subtitles to verify the burned font effect?

I tried some settings and they all use vtt streaming.

14 hours ago, QAQrz said:

How does the latest beta server trigger the burning of ASS subtitles to verify the burned font effect?

I tried some settings and they all use vtt streaming.

HI, what do you mean exactly? We don't convert ass to vtt because that will result in loss of styles.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, what do you mean exactly? We don't convert ass to vtt because that will result in loss of styles.

this one.

This video has several built-in subrip subtitles and an external ass subtitle. The ass subtitle is used when playing.

Why does it look like the ass subtitles are parsed directly by the browser and one of the built-in subrip subtitles is transcoded to the webvtt format?

image.thumb.png.39aeb69a0380fcdbf7e1b3607c117bfa.png

On 11/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, QAQrz said:

this one.

This video has several built-in subrip subtitles and an external ass subtitle. The ass subtitle is used when playing.

Why does it look like the ass subtitles are parsed directly by the browser and one of the built-in subrip subtitles is transcoded to the webvtt format?

image.thumb.png.39aeb69a0380fcdbf7e1b3607c117bfa.png

Right but look to the left of that. It's converting the subrip to vtt, not ass to vtt.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Right but look to the left of that. It's converting the subrip to vtt, not ass to vtt.

Yes, it seems to be transcoding an unused subrip subtitle.

By the way, to install custom fonts, do I only need to put the font files in "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/fonts"?

Will updating the emby server version reset the folder?

14 hours ago, QAQrz said:

By the way, to install custom fonts, do I only need to put the font files in "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/fonts"?

Will updating the emby server version reset the folder?

We don't currently have a mechanism for loading custom fonts. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't exist right now.

Anyway, regarding the original issue, can you please attach the emby server and ffmpeg logs together? Thanks !

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Luke said:

@QAQrzIn this example did the subtitles not show up at all, or did they show up but without using the correct font?

When playing on the web side of PC, the ass is displayed through the default font, and the corresponding font is installed in the system (the correct font can be displayed using the Windows client).

6 hours ago, Luke said:

So you're no longer having situations of the subtitles not showing at all?

This is an occasional problem. Subtitles may occasionally not be displayed when transcoding due to unsupported playback devices or insufficient bandwidth.

According to my observation, the built-in graphic subtitles and external ass subtitles are triggered more frequently.