Fast Forward on android TV

freddyfinn

freddyfinn

I'm currently on the beta using NVIDIA shield TV and I've noticed with this and previous releases that the progress bar on live TV doesn't track with the position of the live playback. 

Initially when the channel is started it tracks for a short period then grows well in advance of the correct position of the live feed. 

Fast forwarding past this point causes playback to stop as there is no live stream to play at that point. Skipping back will roughly get you back to the live play position and the stream will start once again. 

Is there a fix on the horizon for this?

HI. I haven't seen this behavior so we'll need to look at some details.  A screen shot from when this happens and then logs that match that.

Thanks.

Okay, what gave you the impression that the progress bar was going beyond real time?

Hard to tell exactly from your video but it looks like you are skipping back in time?  Is this the case?

As for the picture freezing when you ff close to the edge of real time, yes, that is an issue that sometimes occurs and we haven't been able to track down yet but, our in-process live TV revamp will hopefully squash that.

freddyfinn
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, what gave you the impression that the progress bar was going beyond real time?

It is. 

26 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hard to tell exactly from your video but it looks like you are skipping back in time?  Is this the case?

Yes then moving forward. 

27 minutes ago, ebr said:

As for the picture freezing when you ff close to the edge of real time, yes, that is an issue that sometimes occurs and we haven't been able to track down yet but, our in-process live TV revamp will hopefully squash that.

The picture freezes because the progress bar ends up in advance of where the live stream actually is. You notice when I skipped back a couple of times it started playing again. That was because I was within 2-3 seconds  of the live stream according to the HDHomerun App. 

How far ahead of live do you feel like it is going?  Is the clock on the Android TV device correct?

freddyfinn
Just now, ebr said:

How far ahead of live do you feel like it is going?  Is the clock on the Android TV device correct?

Clock is correct. As to how far it goes it varies. 

The longer the stream runs before you rewind and fastforward determines how far the progress bar over extends. If you do it within the first few minutes of the live stream starting then it's fine. 

• 1 month later...
freddyfinn
Just now, Luke said:

So this is an issue of trying to fast-forward too far beyond the live time, right?

Yes. If you rewind then go forward it oversteps live playback position and freezes. Sometimes it resumes once live tv catches up but it might take a minute or two and sometimes it just freezes completely. 

If you notice the times on the position bar there is always 1 second missing. I dont know if this is part of the issue. 

E.g. 1:25:24 +1:04:35 = 1:29:59

instead of 1:25:25 +1:04:35 = 1:30:00

20200910_103120.thumb.jpg.fef032862572d2f6e12679e7e454a7c8.jpg20200910_103313.thumb.jpg.f6bca1bd1780cba1444b5ef665cd83a2.jpg

I think the issue here may be the fact that many of these "live" streams are not actually real-time - they are delayed by sometimes several seconds.  So the app determining "currrent" time is somewhat suspect.  I'm not sure how we account for this properly.  Right now, the app will not allow FF within several seconds of what should be "now" (according to the device clock).

freddyfinn

Never used to happen on my shield. 

Only started 3 to 4 months ago. 

I used to be able to skip back and forward without issue. 

As soon as you skip back it seems to be adding time exponentially to the current live play position. 

I get this issue as well on Live TV that has been paused.  It is more pre-dominant the longer I have paused the live TV stream. 

freddyfinn
3 minutes ago, aja07 said:

I get this issue as well on Live TV that has been paused.  It is more pre-dominant the longer I have paused the live TV stream. 

Yes pause does the same thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
freddyfinn
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok, we are looking into improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Luke. I am able to test if needed. 

• 2 months later...
jrwalte

I found live TV transcoding quality was crap (3mbps or less) until I went into the server transcode settings and changed H264 encoding CRF down to 14-16 from the default 21.

freddyfinn

The problem is direct playing is no longer working to the shield.

Transcoding @50hz is terrible in emby with or without hardware transcoding.  Even when I set a CRF of 1 and H264 set to very slow the picture quality is still shite.  

12 hours ago, freddyfinn said:

The problem is direct playing is no longer working to the shield.

Do you have the option to direct play live TV selected in the app?