how does emby encode video in the TS file

SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom

So far I have used emby as a DVR and recorded many over the air shows.  I am running the current version of Emby on a Synology DS918+.

I'm not totally sure but I think the question I need answered is, "what format does emby encode video and audio in the TS file".

I'll explain why I think I am interested in that answer -  by doing this maybe a knowledgeable person will determine I should have asked a different question.

So far I have used Emby as a DVR and it has generated the TS file of the recorded show.  I am assuming that Emby will put the video and audio stored in the TS file in a format that is most likely to be played directly by the TV and not need any further processing.  If this assumption is wrong then I am not asking the correct question.

The reason I am asking this question is that I want to take some old camcorder videos and encode them in a format and then put into a TS file so Emby can play them and my system will use as little processing power as possible (without degrading the video or audio although it is certainly no better than SD quality) to display them on a TV.

As a second question I would like to know if there is a way to look at the TS file that Emby has created and have it tell me what the video and audio format is - again this assumes that Emby will create the TS file in the most efficient format from a processing standpoint.  I did download a couple of the Emby generated TS files to my PC and on the PC if you right click on the TS file and select properties and then select the "details" tab it will tell you resolution, data rate, etc but not the format that the video and audio was saved in.  What I am missing is the format - maybe some other software method exists which I could use to get this information.

Thanks again in advance!

I'm not totally sure but I think the question I need answered is, "what format does emby encode video and audio in the TS file".

Hi, we don't actually encode it, rather we just save the original audio and video as they are in the broadcast stream. Typically this is mpeg2 or h264 video and then ac3 or aac audio. 

SeekingWisdom

Thanks for that response.

I have a HDHomeRun Extend (2 tuners and a real time H.264 encoder) and did a search and they say,

"convert the incoming video into H.264 format, making it more suitable for streaming over wireless connections and to portable devices like phones and tablets"

So given your answer Emby must store the the video in H.264.

I did a lot of searching and found a free software product that can tell you what format the video/audio data is in a TS file.  It is called "MediaInfo (do a Google search on "mediainfo pc download" or whatever you have if not pc).  This program says the video stream is "AVC" and audio stream is "AC-3".  A google search on AVC says it is also called H.264 which makes sense given your answer and the fact that the extend version of hdhomerun encodes to the H.264 format.

I have included the above in case anyone else has input on a good format for the data put into the TS file.