Android TV Collection Induced U/I Comparison Conundrum

Netfool
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Netfool

Having something like 200 movies in my Movies library, I'm looking for ways to minimize clutter in the movie listings.   Using Collections seems like the obvious solution.

However, the behavior of the NVIDIA Shield Pro UI on the TV is quite different from the behavior of the Shield's webUI.

For example: I created a collection of Marx Brothers movies. 

Web UI Behavior:

• If I go to the Movie Library > Movies, it shows me all of the movies not in a collection and each collection as a single entry organized alphabetically (i.e. with the Marx Brothers collection in the "M"s.). Exactly the behavior I was looking for!
  • If it go to Movie Library > Collections, it shows me, as expected, just the collections.
  • If I go to Movie Library > Folders, it shows me all of the collections at the top of the listing and then all of the movies not in a collection alphabetically.  Better, actually, than the behavior I was looking for.

Shield UI on the TV:

• If I go to the Movie Library > All, it shows me all of the movies organized alphabetically (even those in a collection) and the collections do not appear as entries at all. (Movie Library > All in the Shield UI is in the same position as Movie Library > Movies is in the webUI, so I'm jumping to the conclusion that the intent is the same.)
  • If it go to Movie Library > Collections the behavior is the same as in the webUI, showing me just the collections.
  • If I go to Movie Library > Folders, it shows me, at least so far as I can tell exactly the same thing as Movie Library > All.  So I'm baffled as to the function of Folders here at all.

Clearly I'm missing something buried in the Emby Shield UI.   Is there a way to make the Shield UI match that of the webUI?

Yes, you need to adjust the client.  On the shield from inside the movie library on the far right are a few icons with the bottom one being 3 dots.  Click that 3 dot icon and the top option will be "Group Items into collections".

PS I've got about 3 times more collections than you have movies.  Just wait, your libraries will keep filling over time. :)

And no matter how many videos you have, at times you'll have option anxiety and not be able to figure out which of the hundred thousand videos you have to watch. LOL

• Like 1

Netfool
29 minutes ago, cayars said:

PS I've got about 3 times more collections than you have movies. 

Presumably you also have a petabyte NAS? 🤪

Nope but getting close in total volume spread out over a few enclosures, servers and NAS boxes. Likely pass that by year end when I do my next upgrade hopefully to some 24 TB drives.

I've been converting media from h.264 to h.265 which has helped a lot and slowed down acquisitions of drives but I'm under a 100 tb free so already thinking of the next upgrade.

At least this hobby is cheaper then boats and race cars which are my other hobbies. :(

Netfool
1 hour ago, cayars said:

On the shield from inside the movie library on the far right are a few icons with the bottom one being 3 dots.  Click that 3 dot icon and the top option will be "Group Items into collections".

On the Shield TV UI, when I select Movie Library it immediately defaults to ALL.  If I go to the 3-dot icon at the right of the first row, there is a checkbox labelled "Group Items into collection".  If I check that box it changes the behavior in ALL, but not in Folders.  If it switch to folders and go to the 3-dot menu the checkbox is not there, and the behavior is as I described in #1 above.

I'm clearly missing something.... perhaps I need a server restart?

Netfool

Off Topic:  Seems we mere mortals can't initate DMs to staff (Understandable!).  DM me for an anecdote about cars and another forum user here.

48 minutes ago, Netfool said:

On the Shield TV UI, when I select Movie Library it immediately defaults to ALL.  If I go to the 3-dot icon at the right of the first row, there is a checkbox labelled "Group Items into collection".  If I check that box it changes the behavior in ALL, but not in Folders.  If it switch to folders and go to the 3-dot menu the checkbox is not there, and the behavior is as I described in #1 above.

I'm clearly missing something.... perhaps I need a server restart?

I don't think collections should work in folders as that's a way different type of view and the collection doesn't actually exist in any of those folders.  Besides the different movies that make up a collection will likely span different folders so it wouldn't make sense in that view.

46 minutes ago, Netfool said:

Off Topic:  Seems we mere mortals can't initate DMs to staff (Understandable!).  DM me for an anecdote about cars and another forum user here.

Sure you can unless our basket is full but mine isn't.  Click on the username and you'll see an option to send a message.

• Solution

I actually believe the behavior of folder view in the Android TV app is correct based on what we are intending.  Folder view is supposed to respect your file system organization and our collections are not a part of that.

• Like 1

Netfool
9 hours ago, ebr said:

I actually believe the behavior of folder view in the Android TV app is correct based on what we are intending.  Folder view is supposed to respect your file system organization and our collections are not a part of that.

OH!   LightBulb.thumb.png.6e39914507ecd2a11c93a1dc7e18d116.pngSo organizing the media store into folders fixes my problem.  GotIt.png.e71fa0cf96c80322e7f3c77efbac88bd.png

• Haha 1