Nvidia shield - how to force scan when new added content

philnick
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

philnick

Dear Emby

I have the latest Nvidia Shield Server and the latest Nvidia Shield client running on the Nvidia Shield.  This is excellent because I also have IPTV and subscribe to your live TV and DVR function which makes this literally a totally all in one solution. 

Everything runs great with one exception that I cannot find a solution to which is when I manually add a downloaded film to the specified movies folder on the Shield how do I get Emby to see it.  The only way I can get it to see it at the moment is to logon to my computer and access the server though the browser and make it do a metadata refresh.  This is a bit of a pain and any added content should really show up in emby without having to do this. 

I have set a schedule trigger to do a scan when I start Emby however this does not work.

Is there another solution to this?

On some OS you can hook an event that notifies you a new/changed content and Emby will use that if available.  I don't think this is available on the Shield TV.

What you can is manually update your library or maybe change the schedule  for the "Scan Media Library" job found under Scheduled Tasks in the web admin. 

You can click right on the job to open a new window that allows you to change how often this job runs.  Instead of a default like 12 hours maybe you could change it to 1 or 2 hours depending on how long it takes for this to run and how often you are adding content.  BTW, the job will tell you how long it took to run the last time it ran which is good to know.

I have set a schedule trigger to do a scan when I start Emby however this does not work.

Hi, why do you feel this doesn't work? What exactly did you configure?

That is just one task (with two triggers) but why do you feel it isn't working?

philnick

Because as I stated in the first message, for example when I manually add a film to the movies folder on the shield it does not automatically appear in the Emby movies section...I have to manually use my laptop and tell the movies section to do a scan and then it will appear

How long did you wait for it to show up?  Based on  your settings, it would take up to an hour to be visible automatically.

philnick

And that is the point I am trying to ascertain.  Is there another mechanism for forcing an update to happen immediately like there is on the laptop?  As when you add something you normally want to start watching it straight away.  I guess that the response will be no there isn't... So please put this down to be added as a future development to have an option for a manual scan.

• Solution

The server in general has the option to monitor the file system for changes and react automatically.  This option is called "Real Time Monitoring" and is in the library settings for each library.

However, not all file systems support that type of functionality and, unfortunately, the server on Android currently does not.

philnick

Thank to for your answer.

Can they be an option added to manually force a Re-Scan then within a future upgrade... Maybe within the ... 3 dots Options menu... This would then solve the problem completely.

1 hour ago, philnick said:

Can they be an option added to manually force a Re-Scan then within a future upgrade... Maybe within the ... 3 dots Options menu...

Where are you asking for this?  It can already be done there from the web app.

philnick

The sole purpose of this thread was to ask if you can do this from within the shield client...I know it can already be done within the web app... That was stated in the first message...

• 3 years later...