Force transcode srt / subrip

ChoromPotro

ChoromPotro

Is there any equivalent to Plex's force subtitle transcoding > always in Emby? I like how the subs are bigger and has shadow when i burn them in roku, but in Emby they look kind of difficult to read, I am attaching 2 pictures so you can see the difference. One image is from Emby one is from Plex , same file, just burn in set to always.

So is there anyway I can achieve sub like picture 2 on picture 1? Thanks.

20200723_112605.jpg

IMG_20200723_152731.jpg

neik

I think that is already possible in the user settings. Have you played with the available user settings?

1 minute ago, neik said:

I think that is already possible in the user settings. Have you played with the available user settings?

has option only for .SSA subs

neik
10 minutes ago, Joni- said:

has option only for .SSA subs

According to the description that is not true - see screenshot:
image.thumb.png.4a5e43e96ff2c1bb1b6e3cda47a418c3.png

ChoromPotro
8 minutes ago, neik said:

According to the description that is not true - see screenshot:
image.thumb.png.4a5e43e96ff2c1bb1b6e3cda47a418c3.png

Even when I am setting text size to extra large it does not carry over to roku, i can play with roku accessibility settings to get it somewhat okay, but not as good as plex.

neik

I just tested it on Android mobile (latest beta) and it there I was able to change the size and the color but changing the "Drop shadow" didn't seem to have any effect.

Let's see what then Devs say...

Edited by neik

Those subtitle settings are per client.  So, when you change them in the web app, they affect the web app.  The Roku does not give us any control over subtitle appearance.  Its internal player handles this so, as you mentioned, to do this on roku would require us burning them in on the server.

We can consider adding such an option but I'm wary because I know it is going to cause some people to complain their server is overloaded or transcoding when they don't want it to...

ChoromPotro
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Those subtitle settings are per client.  So, when you change them in the web app, they affect the web app.  The Roku does not give us any control over subtitle appearance.  Its internal player handles this so, as you mentioned, to do this on roku would require us burning them in on the server.

We can consider adding such an option but I'm wary because I know it is going to cause some people to complain their server is overloaded or transcoding when they don't want it to...

having more option can not hurt i feel.

1 hour ago, ChoromPotro said:

having more option can not hurt i feel.

But it can certainly cause confusion, make troubleshooting harder and cause unneeded transcoding for some people. :)

pwhodges
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Those subtitle settings are per client.  So, when you change them in the web app, they affect the web app.  The Roku does not give us any control over subtitle appearance.

Point 1 - the Roku app actually tells you to use the web app settings for this ;)

Point 2 - The Roku's own settings have quite a lot of options for subtitle appearance.

Paul

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

the Roku app actually tells you to use the web app settings for this

That is referring to the defaults for how subtitles are chosen - not their appearance.

57 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

The Roku's own settings have quite a lot of options for subtitle appearance.

That is a good point.  @ChoromPotro have you tried this?

ChoromPotro

@ebr
 yes in one of my replies I said it can be changed with accessibility settings but I wanted to force burn it so that it looks like the Plex one. It's certainly not a breaking change I was just wondering if it's possible to do and if yes, how?

wTnaUog.png

Actually.. there is probably something we can do to match what those other guys do.

They are just using captionStyle with a text/effect called "uniform".

We can probably allow some kind of customization in the app to control some of this stuff. It isn't out of the question.

Edited by speechles

17 minutes ago, speechles said:

Actually.. there is probably something we can do to match what those other guys do.

What the "other guys" are doing is burning the subs in on the server.  As I said, we could potentially do that but I'm not a huge fan of that option - especially when there are customizations available for the device already.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

What the "other guys" are doing is burning the subs in on the server.  As I said, we could potentially do that but I'm not a huge fan of that option - especially when there are customizations available for the device already.

They do that right off the bat transcode those subtitles in? Or is it they just have a "Burn these instead" option?

We could have an option to burn in ALL subtitles too. Exposed to users at both the detail screen pre play subtitles selector and the video player subtitles selector. But do we really need this? We have the setting to always force burn SSA/ASS and that could be changed to accomodate too. How do the other guys present these options? I have honestly never used their apps although I have watched YouTube videos others have made of their apps just so I could understand users complaints from their side and make sure we aren't replicate them in any fashion. But it would be nice to know how they do it whether through some mechanism in the app or on their server or a combination of both.

@ChoromPotro How do the other guys let you control subtitles? Do they have robust settings we lack? Do we need to step up our game on Roku? Are we in the same ball park? We are supposed to be. Thanks for any insight. ;)

Edited by speechles

ChoromPotro

@speechles

hello, they have 3 options when it comes to sub burn, on roku client :

automatic - which burns in incompatible subs

only image format - burns in image subs

always - burns in all sub (which is what I use)

We can probably do something quite similar using the same terms. The existing SSA/ASS burn option can be modified to do more. Let us see what we can do here to accomodate this. Thanks for bringing it up. ;)

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, ebr said:

As I said, we could potentially do that but I'm not a huge fan of that option - especially when there are customizations available for the device already.

But there is no way to force transcoding for subtitles with the Roku settings. You can just style them with fonts and shadows and what not.

What I meant is alter the behavior of capabilities via something like this:

Streaming Subtitles:
Automatic - (Default) Let the system decide the best way to deliver subtitles
Image - Burn image format subtitles into the video stream.
All - Burn all subtitles into the video stream.

Automatic is obviously what we do right now. 90% of users need that. SSA/ASS/SRT all get sent as text.

Image is for anime people. The 8% that might need that. SSA/ASS get burned in. SRT get sent as text.

All is to burn all subtitles is for that last 2%. The ones who prefer the server to style their subtitles and never want the device to do it.

This covers all bases and matches parity with the other guys.

The only option we presently lack is "ALL". That is what we would need to add into the present SSA/ASS setting (along with the default automatic which is presently assumed if the ssa/ass option is NO.). Then clarify the options better within the present SSA/ASS option. Pretty it up to make sense to all people with proper wording.

Edited by speechles

On 7/23/2020 at 9:10 AM, ebr said:

I can point you to a three page thread from just today where the issue came down to the fact that the user had fiddled with an option in the app.

Yeah.. those "force transcoding" options are knives with blades at both ends. No matter how you try to use it you wind up cutting yourself. 

qTGrr9Q.png

There is no other way to allow forced transcoding without allowing some of that dark side in. Where people don't understand why transcoding is happening. It is possible to show a different icon for subtitles when they are forced to burn in. We can keep debate ideas. I am just wanting the simplest, best, and most easiest to understand for everyone. I want the cow to jump over the moon. Hey diddle diddle. Someone get that cat a fiddle. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1

ChoromPotro
42 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Remember that no all headless server have GPU. So.... think about it

latest iGPUs are also very good. If you have 7th gen or newer intel you don't need GPU i think. I use both a 9th gen i7 and RTX 4000 , both works pretty well with every kind of transcode .

3 hours ago, ebr said:

I can point you to a three page thread from just today where the issue came down to the fact that the user had fiddled with an option in the app.

Yea, and burns a lot of time with people trying to help and getting thrown off course due to bad info given in addition because "they forgot" it was changed.