Skipping Forward [5 min / 10min / 15 min??]

LogicTVbox

LogicTVbox

Hello,

I must be doing something wrong or overlooking something.  I have an LG TV with the latest android web OS and the default LG remote and I just can't figure out how to skip forward or backwards more than 10 or 15 seconds at a time.  Is there any way to skip forward or backwards 5 / 10 / 15 minutes at a time? emby does remember the last position of the movie I was watching but sometimes I need to skip forward or backwards.  If there is no way to do this on the LG TV but perhaps there is a way to do this with the emby app on a fire stick I would probably just buy one of those.  

any and all help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

rbjtech

Agreed - without the magic remote - it's not currently possible to bring up the chapter points to fast skip.  With the magic remote, just gliding over the line brings up all the chapter points so you can point to where you want to go.

The fireTV stick can do this by clicking 'up' to get the chapter point (then scroll left/right) and/or then 'down' to scroll 'left/right' 10 seconds at a time once you get to the chapter point you want.

The LG App needs the same functionality, as not all LG's have the magic remote as you have found out ... but given the choice - I would buy a magic remote for all the other functionality it gives you on all the other apps besides emby.  The ability to 'point and click' on the TV is so much better than scrolling on the remote .. 

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
Just now, ebr said:

Hi.  You are talking about the LG app here?

Yes - but it's in the Android section .... 😉

LogicTVbox
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You are talking about the LG app here?

Yes.  Is this the right place for this topic? I wasn't sure

LogicTVbox
42 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

but given the choice - I would buy a magic remote for all the other functionality it gives you on all the other apps besides emby.  The ability to 'point and click' on the TV is so much better than scrolling on the remote .. 

Which "Magic" remote are you referring to? Is it the Amazon Fire TV stick remote? or is this some other remote? I've never heard of a magic remote before

nanuk

Hi *,

I found out that using the TV-Program Up/Down Buttons on the regular LG Remote Control skips a movie 5 minutes forward or backwards.

Please try that 😉

nanuk
13 hours ago, LogicTVbox said:

Which "Magic" remote are you referring to? Is it the Amazon Fire TV stick remote? or is this some other remote? I've never heard of a magic remote before

The "Magic Remote" is part of the more expensive LG TVs such as OLED Models for example.
It has a build in "Mouse" functionality so that you can use the Magic Remote like a Pointer.

Here are some pics of the different types of the LG Remotes Magic (left) vs Standard (right)

I_709314225_magicremote.thumb.png.cd528fc71ff2dd9096eaa47dc4cdc368.png41966008_standardremote.jpg.5f3490b93ba7d825b6d3d57d8a1c0102.jpg

Edited by nanuk

nanuk
13 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Agreed - without the magic remote - it's not currently possible to bring up the chapter points to fast skip. 

Disagree 😉

rbjtech
2 hours ago, nanuk said:

Disagree 😉

You can blind skip 5 mins fwd and 5 mins back I agree - but you cannot see the chapter points (with thumbnails) - so it's hardly a great experience to press the button and hope you get close to what you want, wait for it to start playing, then press it again for the next 5 mins etc.   Then skip back when you have gone too far ...  

The fireTV skip is 'good' as you can see the chapter points as thumbnails but this LG implementation without the magic remote is not.

The magic remote allows you to literally see what you are scrolling to/from as it brings up all the thumbnails as you do so and when you see the thumbnail you want, click the centre button and it plays from that section.

btw - you can buy a magic remote separately and they work will all the common apps.

Edited by rbjtech

LogicTVbox
8 hours ago, nanuk said:

Hi *,

I found out that using the TV-Program Up/Down Buttons on the regular LG Remote Control skips a movie 5 minutes forward or backwards.

Please try that

I'm fairly certain i have tried this but I will try it again tonight and report back

crusher11

It doesn't skip five minutes. It skips to the next chapter. Five minutes is the interval at which emby inserts chapters if they aren't present in the file. 

nanuk
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

It doesn't skip five minutes. It skips to the next chapter. Five minutes is the interval at which emby inserts chapters if they aren't present in the file. 

Yes that's true but I think LogicTVbox is searching for any posibility to skip forward or backwards other than in 15 second steps 😉

LogicTVbox
On 7/23/2020 at 2:05 AM, nanuk said:

Hi *,

Please try that 😉

Reporting back:  The up / down buttons on the regular LG remote did not allow me to skip forward or backwards 5 minutes or any amount of time at all.   There are the "Skip Forward / Backward 15 Seconds" Emby menu buttons and that is all I can do

rbjtech

PROGRAMME (P) Up/Down Buttons ?  This does work on the magic remote so I see no reason why it should not work on the regular LG remote - they send the same 'codes' to the TV.

Edited by rbjtech

KevinSartori

Learned something new today!  I have a Harmony One remote and it turns out that the P Up & Down buttons are mapped to Ch/Pg Up & Down.  Now I can advance by chapter for movies that have them or +/- 5m for video files that don't.

Handy!  Thanks, guys!

Edited by KevinSartori
Spelling.

nanuk
On 7/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, LogicTVbox said:

Reporting back:  The up / down buttons on the regular LG remote did not allow me to skip forward or backwards 5 minutes or any amount of time at all.   There are the "Skip Forward / Backward 15 Seconds" Emby menu buttons and that is all I can do

Sorry I can't understand this...

I own 3 LG TVs, 2 with an standard remote and one with an magic remote and all of them show exactly the same behavior when using emby.

Pressing the Page(P) up/down button makes actually playing videos jump by chapters (if exist) or +/- 5m for videos files that don't have any chapter information.

What LG Model do you have, and can you please post a picture of your remote?!?

nanuk
On 7/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, LogicTVbox said:

Are you sure you're using this buttons?

image.png.e824611843f45026fae0cb3ec40f3488.png

LogicTVbox

Thanks to everyone who has posted and is trying to help!

To everyone: no I haven't used the Page Up / Down buttons.  I was using the Arrow buttons up and down, and this may be the problem.  I'm at work and I can't test the Page Up / Down but those buttons don't look familiar.  The version of my remote looks like this 

https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video-accessories/lg-AGF76631064-tv-remote-contol

nanuk
56 minutes ago, LogicTVbox said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted and is trying to help!

To everyone: no I haven't used the Page Up / Down buttons.  I was using the Arrow buttons up and down, and this may be the problem.  I'm at work and I can't test the Page Up / Down but those buttons don't look familiar.  The version of my remote looks like this 

https://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video-accessories/lg-AGF76631064-tv-remote-contol

than you should try this buttons... and have fun 😉

image.png.3ed28fa032e41c5405671e2bd67f308c.png

• Like 1

LogicTVbox
On 7/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, nanuk said:

than you should try this buttons... and have fun 😉

image.png.3ed28fa032e41c5405671e2bd67f308c.png

This was the solution!  Thank you very much for everyone who posted and helped out.