QNAP TS-230

PaulJNodine

PaulJNodine

Just wanted to let the community know how this $180usd nas works with Emby 

I have owned it for approximately 4 days and installed Emby server.  According the QNAP product site this nas supports hardware transcoding of h264 files even though it has a Realtek processor not Intel.  I can confirm that indeed hardware transcoding is supported as well as being able to play back 4K HDR video files. 

Only downside I can find so far is that the Emby package is unavailable through the QNAP app store so has to be installed manually and the security center gave a warning about the package not being digitally signed

Only downside I can find so far is that the Emby package is unavailable through the QNAP app store

We're currently working on this !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ginmare

Hi @PaulJNodine, I'm also considering this one, but I'm a little bit confused on the transcoding, in your experience did it hardware transcode x265 (hevc) to eg 1080p x264, or didn't that work?

Thanks a lot

PaulJNodine

According to the product information hardware transcoding is for x264 files.  Under emby transcoding options is ARM V4L2 H.264 (AVC)

• 5 months later...
PodEvans

what are the transcoding stats?  When you are transcoding the stats are in the server dashboard.

ie: Transcoding (22 fps)\
845 kbps H264 MP3

I do not know anything about the transcoding efforts.......but I know it depends on the CPU.  I also am not sure if transcoding depends on the filetype.  

Was just considering this Qnap NAS.........over my current one.

Thx.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2020 at 19:06, PaulJNodine said:

Just wanted to let the community know how this $180usd nas works with Emby 

I have owned it for approximately 4 days and installed Emby server.  According the QNAP product site this nas supports hardware transcoding of h264 files even though it has a Realtek processor not Intel.  I can confirm that indeed hardware transcoding is supported as well as being able to play back 4K HDR video files. 

Only downside I can find so far is that the Emby package is unavailable through the QNAP app store so has to be installed manually and the security center gave a warning about the package not being digitally signed

Can you tell me what Emby package you used. There seems to be different installers. Bit beyond me. I have the same NAS, only had it for a week. 

• 3 weeks later...
PaulJNodine
On 1/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, PodEvans said:

what are the transcoding stats?  When you are transcoding the stats are in the server dashboard.

ie: Transcoding (22 fps)\
845 kbps H264 MP3

I do not know anything about the transcoding efforts.......but I know it depends on the CPU.  I also am not sure if transcoding depends on the filetype.  

Was just considering this Qnap NAS.........over my current one.

Thx.

This NAS has a Realtek Quadcore cpu and transcoding works on H264 files.  I have seen transcoding on both mp4 and mkv files. 

PaulJNodine
On 1/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, rav4cas said:

Can you tell me what Emby package you used. There seems to be different installers. Bit beyond me. I have the same NAS, only had it for a week. 

I use the ARMv8(TS-x28 and TS-x32 Series) from the emby.media download page