Windows 10 PC Rebooting At Server/Web Interface Start-Up

jimozach

jimozach

I am running a Windows 10 Desktop with the most recent versions of the Emby server. When the server loads in the system tray, immediately followed by the web interface (Chrome or MS Edge), my dual monitors (one HDMI, one digital) both go blank, come back up, go blank again which can repeat 3-4 times.  Eventually, the  computer either reboots or the screen stay blank and everything locks up.  I tested all memory, disconnected all usb devices, etc., to eliminate other potential causes. Interestingly, after the boot is complete and all system tray items are loaded (I unchecked the load server and web interface at startup), if I load the server into the tray and bring up the web interface, much joy...no reboots.  That leads me to conclude that either the server or the web interface (http://localhost:8096/web/index.html#!/home) are not playing nice with something that's loading in the system tray at startup.  I know that the next step would logically be to step by step prevent each program from loading at startup to see if I can determine which could be causing the conflict.  Before i do that, I thought I would post this to see if anyone with more experience than me (that means everyone) has experienced this issue or has any advice.  Thanks in advance from an Emby Noob, premiere and soon-to-be lifetime subscriber as soon as I solve this PITA issue.🤪

Edited by jimozach

Hi, is this when the machine starts up, or when starting the server manually after the machine has already started?

jimozach

Machine already started and Windows loaded.  As the systray programs load, the last one is the server.  If I let it load automatically, then it crashes the machine after the screens blip on and off 3-4 times.  If I uncheck the load at startup, and then let all other systray programs load, wait awhile, then load it, the screen still blinks on-off a few times.  Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it reboots the machine.  So, I closed each syytray program one by one and then reloaded the server each time.  None of the systray apps seem to be causing the problem.  I then when into taskmgr and looked at what non-system processes might be conflicting.  I use Acronis Backup, which loads a number of processes at startup.  When I closed all of them, and then reloaded teh server, that did the trick.  I'm still testing it to make certain it's one or more of the Acronis processes or just dumb luck.

@jimozach Try disabling everything during startup except Emby Server and let's see how this goes.  This very easy to do.

Here's a decent article on how to do this if you aren't familiar with this.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-startup-programs-windows-10/#:~:text=Step 1 Right-click on,the program and select Disable.

Let us know your outcome.

jimozach

Thanks both.  I followed cayars advice and shut off everything except the server.  I'll turn each systray program on, reboot each time see at what point the behavior occurs.  Will report back, thank you again.