unable to Connect: Mac

zzamm

Emby worked now it doesn't.  Won't load on my Mac OS10.15.6.  I've dumped the application, re-started, and still nothing working...

Tries to load: http://localhost:8096/web/index.html but comes up with:

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:8096.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Solutions?

Not only has my Mac OS been restarted as already stated, I have also:

updated the OS

zapped the PRAM

uninstalled Emby

Cold restarted the Mac

downloaded & reinstalled Emby

verified Emby is not blocked by either the Mac's or my network's Firewalls

looked for any possible Emby preferences that might screw it up

Yet whenever I start Emby, this is all that I get in Firefox:

Emby tries to load: http://localhost:8096/web/index.html but comes up with:

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:8096.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
         If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
         If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

BTW, Plex is working fine.  Emby worked very well for ~6 months, then this...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke,

There's no way that I know of for me to answer your question as I cannot get into Emby because it will not load in a browser.  Do you have another way to laod Emby other than in a webbrowser?

Nope, there's no file or folder of any sort of Emby other than the original download and the app in my applications folder.  Since the uninstall listed above, there's no trace of the application's support files.  The attached screenshot is search results of this Mac's hard drive.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 5.59.55 PM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 5:23 AM, TonyWoo said:

I have exactly the same problem. Tried everything. It looks like I'm going to have to go back to Plex.

@TonyWoo can you please describe the issue that you're having? thanks.

If the people at emby had bothered to address this let alone resolve this, I might have been inclined to wait for a solution.  Nope, apparently they don’t care.  Been using Plex with a 100% success rate since posting this in July.  On a modern Mac, Plex works & emby doesn’t.

Just now, zzamm said:

If the people at emby had bothered to address this let alone resolve this, I might have been inclined to wait for a solution.  Nope, apparently they don’t care.  Been using Plex with a 100% success rate since posting this in July.  On a modern Mac, Plex works & emby doesn’t.

Hi, we're happy to help. This is just a tricky one because it does not appear to be a widespread problem. Regarding the logs folder i requested earlier, the location might be hidden, so I would try entering the path into Finder rather than trying to browse to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my issue, but here goes.

I've a MBP running Catalina 10.15.7

I have a WD Mycloud EX2 ultra 2 that is running the latest version of the firmware, OS5.

I installed the OS5 version of Emby server on the Mycloud NAS

I've installed the Emby app on my MBP, Emby version 1.9.9(2)

When I try to connect to my server I get the following error

Connection failure, unable to connect to the server right now, please be sure it is running and try again.

Can someone help me with this issue?

Thank you,

Marvin

On 10/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, zzamm said:

I just upgraded to Catalina 10.5.7  and Emby stopped working with the exact same symptoms.  I too tried all the remedies listed above to no avail.  It just quit working.  Shame.  I liked Emby, but I may have to revert back to PLEX.

23 hours ago, tarinr said:

I just upgraded to Catalina 10.5.7  and Emby stopped working with the exact same symptoms.  I too tried all the remedies listed above to no avail.  It just quit working.  Shame.  I liked Emby, but I may have to revert back to PLEX.

@tarinr try installing the latest version of Emby Server from the website on top of your existing version. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

That was the very first thing I tried.  I’m really disappointed.  I really liked Emby.  It makes no sense that this is not working.

How do I completely remove Emby's associated files from my drive?  Maybe if I do a complete reset it will work.

Edited by tarinr

Similar issue.

• Mac OS Catalina
  • Fresh Instal of latest Emby server
  • Inital config went fine
  • Created Library (it's kinda large, and in my case I think this my be a contributing factor)
  • Switched to a LGTV for the Olds and added Emby app there (was able to get that up)
  • Switched back to MacOS Emby server to add another library (now that I *knew* it was working)
  • And got the same "http://localhost:8096/web/index.html " error
  • Opened up the logs in Terminal and it *looks* like in my specific case it is still fetching metadata from themoviedb.org

I'm gonna let it do it's thing for a bit and come back and check in a few hours; I suspect it's grabbing meta data and thumbnails for the library I added.

As a longtime Plex user, it is worth mentioning to the others in this thread that Plex is currently going through many of its own problems: Sony TV system is permanently broken due to App developer issues, LG is currently hit-and-miss, and some reports of Samsung issues—but doesn't seem pervasive. So given that Plex has recently driven me to Hulk-Smash status lead me to caution those thinking the grass is greener ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi, can you please try installing the latest version on top of your existing version? Please see if that helps. Thanks !

sross44

What macs are you guys running into issues on? What OS as well? I run a secondary server on a mac with no issues so am more than happy to help!