Mid-priced Android TV box with Emby

horstepipe

clarkss12
1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

Thanks. Do you know whether this device will be available in Europe / Germany?

Not sure

clarkss12

I cranked up my Tivo 4k and NO firmware update to correct the HDR to SDR issue, so not usable for me at this time.  Anyway, it is a mediocre media player, there is NO automatic frame rate adjustment and NO HD audio passthrough.... And like all of the Amlogic boxes, it will NOT natively play any BlueRay rips that are encoded with the Microsoft VC-1 codec.

• Thanks 1

cybergrimes
On 7/28/2020 at 2:19 PM, clarkss12 said:

I cranked up my Tivo 4k and NO firmware update to correct the HDR to SDR issue, so not usable for me at this time.  Anyway, it is a mediocre media player, there is NO automatic frame rate adjustment and NO HD audio passthrough.... And like all of the Amlogic boxes, it will NOT natively play any BlueRay rips that are encoded with the Microsoft VC-1 codec.

They dropped a new update today, still no HDR fix... blocked user from accessing developer options and broke MPEG2 OTA playback.

I've got a TV where I would really like Android TV that includes an input button on the remote and can be programmed to control soundbar volume (no HDMI CEC). TiVo was checking those boxes but now this. I recently setup a Roku Ultra for in-laws using a "One For All Streamer remote" that is surprisingly nice-- it's backlit, input button, play/pause and the buttons aren't all the same shape/size so you have to look each time you use it. It's controlling audio from an optical connected soundbar which the Roku remote can't do. Might try programming one with the old Jetstream 4K box...

What other Android TV boxes (certified for Netflix/Prime/etc) have IR control... 2015 Shield?

See the source image

Edited by cybergrimes

Sammy
On 7/31/2020 at 9:04 AM, cybergrimes said:

They dropped a new update today, still no HDR fix... blocked user from accessing developer options and broke MPEG2 OTA playback.

I've got a TV where I would really like Android TV that includes an input button on the remote and can be programmed to control soundbar volume (no HDMI CEC). TiVo was checking those boxes but now this. I recently setup a Roku Ultra for in-laws using a "One For All Streamer remote" that is surprisingly nice-- it's backlit, input button, play/pause and the buttons aren't all the same shape/size so you have to look each time you use it. It's controlling audio from an optical connected soundbar which the Roku remote can't do. Might try programming one with the old Jetstream 4K box...

What other Android TV boxes (certified for Netflix/Prime/etc) have IR control... 2015 Shield?

See the source image

Is that an IR remote?

What make and model is it?

Sammy
On 7/20/2020 at 1:11 PM, cayars said:

The latest firmware has an issue playing back mpeg2 for some people.  So until they get that fixed it's hit or miss for Live TV depending if your channels use mpeg2 or h.264.

I'm one of those people. It may be possible for Emby to fix. @softworkz seems to know the key but doesn't possess the time.. Maybe @ebr will find the time. I have beer! And it ain't no crappy light beer either. It's a nice laced Hazy IPA..

RanmaCanada

Sadly as others have said, your options are extremely limited.  If you want that lovely DRM, the Shield, the MiBox, or an Amazon device are pretty much your only options.  Formuler did recently get L1 certified, and released new firmware for the Z8, but it's using an H6 chipset, which is ancient, and the box is also priced at Shield levels.  The 4k firestick does support AFR, but the Netflix app as of 2019 did not.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/24hz-with-netflix-films-via-fire-tv-stick-4k.2211199/

• 4 weeks later...
BAlGaInTl

If you haven't found anything yet, it looks like Google's new device is close to release.  It's supposed to be ~$50, so may be worth holding off on.

We'll see how good it is.

28 minutes ago, BAlGaInTl said:

If you haven't found anything yet, it looks like Google's new device is close to release.  It's supposed to be ~$50, so may be worth holding off on.

We'll see how good it is.

Got a link or two for the device you mentioned?