Write permissions from Windows to Raspberry Media Server

broncos22

broncos22

Hi! 

I just set up Emby on a Raspberry Pi 4 to act as a media server. It all works great. I use Filezilla to transfer the files to the Raspberry USB stick. I'm trying to find an easier shortcut to do that from Windows Explorer. 

So, I can see Emby under Network locations, I can see the library inside it and I can download files. My question is, how can I copy files to it? It would be the easiest solution rather than going into Filezilla. I know I could use Samba, but for now I don't want to add extra stuff on the Raspberry and Samba was a bit unreliable speed-wise. Also, Windows doesn't support sftp access natively.

I'm guessing I'd have to change the permissions (since my Windows user doesn't have any). But permissions to what? To the Emby installation folder? Or the USB stick? The USB stick already has 777 permissions and all my files are stored on it; Emby is installed on the Pi's SD card. 

Thank you! 

JaScoMa

Hello..

How that works, I'm not sure.  Obviously it's seeing the anonymous connection and you have read-only access to it.  Where these permissions are configured, I'm not sure.

What you may want to research is installing a NFS server on the Pi.  NFS has less overhead than SAMBA and speed wise, it's faster.  When you configure the NFS server, share permissions are assigned via IP address instead of users.

You'd have to configure NFS services on Windows (I'd assume you're running Windows 10) to mount the share on the Pi.  Then just copy the files between the two.

That's my suggestion and give it a try.