Shared Network Folder

jackalopes

jackalopes

I've successfully created mount points on my FreeNAS so that Emby can access my media files using the group writable solution. I'd like to have Emby use a shared network folder (\\server\media) for the media instead of using the locally mapped folder so that I can use the Emby for Kodi plugin. When I try and use the shared network folder when selecting a path for my media on Emby, I get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." Yet, all my other devices can access this network path when given the group permissions.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the path to not be found by Emby?

Edited by jackalopes

Hi there, can you please give an exact example of what you're adding? Thanks.

jackalopes

The current movie folder is /media/Moves.  That folder is mapped to my server located at the share \\server\Media\Movies.  The Emby jail user (UID 989) has read and write access to the folder using a group ACL.  When I try and add the \\server\Media\Movies as an (Optional) Shared network folder:, it gives me a path could not be found error.

When using the /media/Movies folder, Emby is able to save images to the appropriate folders so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Emby.jpg

MRobi

You would likely need to specify the IP address of your main FreeNAS since Emby runs in a jail so \\server\ would not point to a valid location.

But with that said, there should be absolutely no reason to do this. The Emby for Kodi plugin connects to your Emby server directly and any media loaded into your Emby server will be available to the plugin. So mount the storage directory(ies) into your Emby jail, setup your permissions in the ACL manager (Assuming 11.3+), then setup your libraries and you will be good to go.

Edited by MRobi

jackalopes

I've tried using the servers IP address and get the same error.  When I try and sync Kodi with Emby, it gives me a can't locate file and to use path substitution. While Kodi will still allow me to play the files, it will only do so if I use the Add-on. What I'm trying to do is be able to use the standard Kodi navigation to find all my movies under movies and not navigate to the Add-on to see my movies and other media.

EmbyKodi.jpg

5 hours ago, jackalopes said:

The current movie folder is /media/Moves.  That folder is mapped to my server located at the share \\server\Media\Movies.  The Emby jail user (UID 989) has read and write access to the folder using a group ACL.  When I try and add the \\server\Media\Movies as an (Optional) Shared network folder:, it gives me a path could not be found error.

When using the /media/Movies folder, Emby is able to save images to the appropriate folders so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Emby.jpg

The problem in this screenshot is you've entered only movies as the path to your movies folder.

MRobi
12 hours ago, jackalopes said:

I've tried using the servers IP address and get the same error.  When I try and sync Kodi with Emby, it gives me a can't locate file and to use path substitution. While Kodi will still allow me to play the files, it will only do so if I use the Add-on. What I'm trying to do is be able to use the standard Kodi navigation to find all my movies under movies and not navigate to the Add-on to see my movies and other media.

Again, don't try to link to your FreeNAS server's IP. Mount the storage into your Emby jail and then you can navigate to the path as-if it were a local directory. 

Reading this further explanation it sounds like your issue is in your Kodi library and not Emby. If you can play the file if you go through Kodi under add-on's/emby connect, I would also assume if you log on to your emby server in your web browser you can see and play the files, then everything on the Emby side is setup correctly (Unless you've changed it by trying to enter server ip addresses and such).

You should fully wipe your Kodi library and rebuild it. It's been a long time since I've used Emby-Connect but there used to be an option in there to do exactly this. Clear out the library, images, etc... you'll have to log back into Kodi and it will take a while to rebuild but you should be fine. In my experience, even the slightest change in configuration would require this step. I ditched it long ago in favor of the actual Emby app which should be available for almost all platforms now.

jackalopes
2 hours ago, MRobi said:

I ditched it long ago in favor of the actual Emby app which should be available for almost all platforms now.

Ha, I didn't even know there was a native Emby app for my Samsung TV!!  Thanks!

Did you get this resolved with the change Luke suggested?

jackalopes
12 hours ago, cayars said:

Did you get this resolved with the change Luke suggested?

Unfortunately not.  I do not fully understand what should be entered in the "Folder" field. Plus, as much as I'd like to use the app on my TV, it isn't stable, and I find it difficult to navigate.

You didn't setup the library pointed at the media correctly.

Folder: Movies

Shared Network:  \\Server\Media

But you said content was located here: \\server\Media\Movies

You didn't point the library at Your media correctly..

jackalopes

I've tried many variations of the Folder and Shared Network fields, including "\\SERVER\Media\Movies" in both fields.

I'd do this in stages.

For example don't use the optional network path right away but only use the folder at first.

Scan library and test playback in web app which will stream from the Emby Server.

Once that works go back and add the optional network path and test with a client such as Emby Theater that can use the network UNC and make sure that works.

Once you have these set correctly from the above tests you know the Server is good and can work on Kodi integration.

jackalopes
On 7/19/2020 at 8:20 AM, jackalopes said:

I've successfully created mount points on my FreeNAS so that Emby can access my media files using the group writable solution.

Using locally mapped folders, Emby sees all the appropriate media with write access. I can chromecast data from Emby and browse media within the app.  This was all easily accomplished.

Where I keep running into a problem is when I try to add a shared network folder and that's where I keep running into problems. 

Hi, why not just add the locally mapped folder instead? That's what I would suggest anyway.

jackalopes
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, why not just add the locally mapped folder instead? That's what I would suggest anyway.

Not to be rude, but did you read my first post? That is why I want to use shared network folders.

You've got your mapping wrong based on pictures uploaded.  I know you've said you've tried different things but going by the uploaded pictures it's wrong.

17 hours ago, jackalopes said:

Not to be rude, but did you read my first post? That is why I want to use shared network folders.

You can still do what I'm suggesting and then enter the corresponding Optional Network Path.

MRobi
On 7/25/2020 at 11:22 PM, jackalopes said:

As mentioned in post #4 and post #7, there is NO NEED for shared network folders to access your media files on your FreeNAS server in your FreeNAS jail. This is simply the WRONG way to do it! Not just for Emby, but for every single FreeNAS jail.

In FreeNAS you need to mount your storage folder to your jail. 

From there this folder is now viewed as a local folder in your jail. IT IS NOT A NETWORK PATH.

You simply browse to your now local folder and enter it into your library. In Emby you can literally browse the folder tree to the correct path, you don't even need to type anything.

You are making this considerably more complicated on yourself than it needs to be. If your embyconnect instance on Kodi is giving you an error afterwards, you need to wipe your kodi library and rebuild it since Kodi is likely pointing to old/outdated links. Or better yet, use the Emby app for your Samsung TV

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html