Version 1.0.80 does not support ASS subtitles - Fixed in 1.0.81 but sync issues now

Daniele

Daniele

I've been using version 1.0.76 for months on my Samsung UE50RU7475 and I could direct stream all my mkv with external ASS subtitles.

I just updated to latest version (Emby for Samsung 1.0.80) and now all of them are instead transcoding with Reason for transcoding: "Subtitle format not supported - Direct play error"

Where can I download the previous versions of Emby? In particular 1.0.76 was working great for me. I updated only to get rid of the "there is a new version available" message. 😩

immagine.thumb.png.f1980095af7dd8abc8079d88b25eeece.png

Edited by Daniele

SamES

This is something that we're working on resolving. Thanks for confirming that it worked on 1.0.76 prior to you updating.

@FrostByte, can you please check version .76 and see if this works for you?

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

FrostByte

@Daniele  here is .76  

tizen (5).zip

However, it doesn't fix external ASS subtitles for me.  I haven't been able to use ASS subs for several releases before .76 without transcoding with the same error you're getting now.  Let us know if this works for you.  If so, then maybe it's either the Tizen level or server version you're running which are both different than mine.   Thanks

Edited by FrostByte

psxlover

Not sure if that one is different from the one that was just released, but on the released one the .ssa subtitles seem to have been fixed.

Thanks, and sorry for not finding the time to provide logs about the issue before.

Edit: @FrostByte not sure at what issue your TV is running, but as I noted in the other thread, .ssa subtitles at least on my TV was broken only on versions 79 and 80, are you sure your user's configuration is set to extract subtitles?

Edited by psxlover
  • Like 1

Daniele

I haven't been able to test the new version (1.0.81) - is that what you posted @Luke?

I'll do soon and report back.

Edited by Daniele

FrostByte
1 hour ago, psxlover said:

Edit: @FrostByte not sure at what issue your TV is running, but as I noted in the other thread, .ssa subtitles at least on my TV was broken only on versions 79 and 80, are you sure your user's configuration is set to extract subtitles?

My issue for a long time wasn't SSA, but with external ASS files which caused transcoding until recent builds which broke external SSA for me also.  Both are fixed now in .81, thanks

I've always extracted and used external subs (except for PGS) so one less thing for my server to do when clicking Play

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Daniele

I installed .81 and now I get no transcoding for .ass subtitles. 🎉

Unfortunately though, there are some synching issues. While the same .ass subtitle is perfectly synched with video and audio on my laptop (using VLC), subs on Emby are completely out of sync. 🙇‍♂️

EDIT: They are out of sync when I resume or select a chapter. If I start from the beginning of video, they look ok.

EDIT2: Just for confirmation, playing the same mkv+ass and forcing transcoding (I selected 1080p - 8mbps) subs ARE actually in sync (using chapter selection).

Edited by Daniele

psxlover

@Daniele can you post the information for the file, and 1) check if the audio is being transcoded (direct stream vs direct play), 2) check if seeking forwards/backwards also causes the subs to go out of sync?

We have another thread where the subs go out of sync when audio is being transcoded and either you seek forwards/backwards or stop the video and then resume from where you left of.

• Like 2

Daniele

1) Stats for nerds shows (in Playback Info):

Play method: DirectStream

Strangely it also shows (in Direct Stream Info)

Audio Codec: AC3

While the file has only a single DTS-HD MA audio track (as you can see in the Media info screenshot attached). (EDIT: I guess it's transcoding only the audio? My TV does not support DTS-HD MA?)

2) Yes, I tried backward seeking and it caused subtitles to go out of sync (as well as resuming / chapter selection does).

immagine.thumb.png.c64897d804055d8329cea97a3d25920d.png

Edited by Daniele

psxlover

Oh... I just came here and noticed you already had that in the original post :P

Yes, that is the issue I saw in

It's not related to the .ass subtitles, I get it with .srt as well. The audio is being converted (because the TV doesn't support the format), and for some reason the application goes out of sync with the video.

Daniele

Yes I confirm the same happens with .srt subtitle. 🧐

P.S. On OP it was another media file, I dont have it anymore in my collection.

Edited by Daniele