Shows using the same name misidentified

Chuck Tobias

Chuck Tobias

Looking through things on my Emby server I'm finding that when there is more than one movie or TV show with the same title that Emby is misidentifying it and supplying pictures and descriptions that are incorrect.

For example, I have the 2004-2009 "Battlestar Galactica" TV series. Emby identifies this as the original 1978 series and all of the descriptions and visuals it provides are for that earlier show. Obviously I can go in and edit the pics and metadata, that's not too bad for a movie (I've done that) but Galactica has four seasons with over 70 episodes. That's a lot of manual editing! Is there a way to tell Emby to select the correct series?

Happy2Play

How is the folder named?  All same named shows or movies will require year in folder name.

There is no manual editing beside Re-Identifying the Series.  As the option to replace images is already selected by default.

Chuck Tobias

Thanks! I changed the directory name from "Battlestar Galactica" to "Battlestar Galactica (2004)", rescanned the library, refreshed metadata, and it worked fine. I'll keep that in mind for future name collisions.

19 hours ago, Chuck Tobias said:

That's a lot of manual editing! Is there a way to tell Emby to select the correct series?

Yes, have you explored the identify feature?

Chuck Tobias
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes, have you explored the identify feature?

Thanks, I just looked at that, seems like a quick way to change to the correct name and title if you manually look up the imdb id.

What would be really nice for that feature would be to include a way to change the content type of directories and/or files in "Mixed" libraries that have been identified as the wrong type. I have a miscellaneous directory with different types of videos in it (Music, TV show clips, How-to videos, etc.). Some are in subdirectories and some are not. So that was made into an Emby library with the "Mixed" content type. What I'm finding is that if a filename is the same as (or nearly the same as) a movie, Emby is identifying the file as that movie, even changing the name if it wasn't an exact match, and of course setting up all the images and metadata to match. I guess really all this stuff should be put into separate directories as separate libraries with specific content type. For now I'm just deleting as much metadata as possible for the incorrectly categorized files in question, correcting names as needed, and providing my own images so those items are somewhat recognizable on the client end.

A lot of the problems I'm seeing are apparently because my directory layout and file naming was put together years ago for a simple setup that listed directory trees and filenames as they are on the disk, with a minimum of reliance on metadata. Obviously some things are going to have to change, as I have time, for Emby to work correctly. (Considering the mishmash of items that I've given it to work with Emby has actually made a pretty decent job of it. Probably 90% of the media files are correctly listed, and I'm working to clean up the outliers.)

Chuck Tobias

A quick example I just ran into of Emby erroneously classifying a video as a movie... In My "Misc Video" library with content type of Mixed, in the "Music" subdirectory, there is a video of The Band performing at Woodstock in 1969. The filename is "The Band (Live at Woodstock '69).mp4". Emby displayed that video as a 1953 movie entitled "Band Stand"!

In mixed content libraries all videos that are not part of a tv series are considered movies.