forum to localise date formats

pwhodges
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

pwhodges

Surely there's a way to get this forum to localise date formats?  But I just can't find it, and I'm getting fed up with getting misled by illogical US-style dates!

Paul

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Surely there's a way to get this forum to localise date formats?  But I just can't find it, and I'm getting fed up with getting misled by illogical US-style dates!

Paul

You better watch out!! The rest of the world must be wrong because all the important nations like The US, Myanmar and Liberia are clearly in the right and even use the imperial system instead of the confusing metric system. We must be right because we are. It is the divine right of pigheadedness. 😁😕👿

But even the rest of the world gets it wrong because of stupid things like leap years and the fact that in most calendars there was no year zero.

We should just pick an event whose location in time can be exactly determined, something like an astronomical alignment or event that has a reasonable mathematical certainty, and count the days since then or, even better, the number of microseconds since then. Our methods of time and date calculations are so inaccurate as to be nearly meaningless for anything but the crudest applications.

The people of the world need to awaken and free themselves from the claws of inaccurate time. You have nothing to lose but the chains of the past.

But on a seriou note I wish we could all use the reverse of the European time: That is instead of "dd.mm.yyyy we should use yyyy.mm.dd That way dates would sort correctly without any modification and for older people like me we would not have to read more than four characters to find the important thing, what year it is.

And don't even get me started on the stupidity of 12 hour clocks and time zones and daylight saving time. (If you want an extra hour of daylight then start tings one hour earlier.)

Oh: "And don't call me Shirley."

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
Made more humorous, I think
  • Haha 1

Why not do like the Japanese? Then you would have "Trump Era 4".

Although, a countdown might be a better fit..

pwhodges

On checking, I find that the other forum I visit which uses this software also cannot provide date localisation to users - however, as it is based in my country it's set up the way I'd expect.  Mind you, looking at the support forums, I see that even doing that requires some hacking,

I'm surprised that this option is not simply there, as this is a very long-established forum software supplier; I set up and ran a forum using the first (free) release of their software in 2002 - of course, it's changed hugely since then!

Paul

pwhodges

Fine, but how is this not a forum issue (though there appears to be no resolution possible)?

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Fine, but how is this not a forum issue (though there appears to be no resolution possible)?

Paul

Just for the info, as you said you been using this forum software since 2002 (as some of us using it even before that date), IPS switch to based local format for IPB 4.x since 2015, it not per user profile matters, it simply system based settings, for your forum, simply switch the language from en_us to en_uk, then you can see the date format you looking for.

So, it not forum issue, we here locale as en_us, I hope I explain the issue to you in clear matters.

• 3 weeks later...
CBers
2 hours ago, CBers said:

@Abobader When quoting other's posts from a day ago or older, the posted date for that quote is always in US date format (MM/DD/YYYY).

Is there any way that this could be displayed in the localised date format (UK=DD/MM/YYYY) please?

Or is there a forum setting I'm over looking?

Thanks.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:07 PM, Abobader said:

Just for the info, as you said you been using this forum software since 2002 (as some of us using it even before that date), IPS switch to based local format for IPB 4.x since 2015, it not per user profile matters, it simply system based settings, for your forum, simply switch the language from en_us to en_uk, then you can see the date format you looking for.

So, it not forum issue, we here locale as en_us, I hope I explain the issue to you in clear matters.

This is a forum issue, possibly only in this version, as we never had this issue in the old version of the forums.

Forcing US date format on non-US people is poor.

Please speak to INVISION again about how to fix this.

Thanks.

EDIT: Another forum I moderate on (DriveBender), also has the same issue, so it must be a bug with INVISION's software.

Edited by CBers

9 minutes ago, CBers said:

This is a forum issue, possibly only in this version, as we never had this issue in the old version of the forums.

Forcing US date format on non-US people is poor.

Please speak to INVISION again about how to fix this.

Thanks.

As I explain, we already give feedback for IPS about this and other matters as well, but this how it work now, just forget the other old forum, this new one, not upgrade, we sure upgrade to this new build, but that about it, this build is completely difference in everything.

Maybe I can find workaround for this but after I am sure everything is fixed regarding some issue we have now.

CBers
7 minutes ago, Abobader said:

As I explain, we already give feedback for IPS about this and other matters as well, but this how it work now, just forget the other old forum, this new one, not upgrade, we sure upgrade to this new build, but that about it, this build is completely difference in everything.

Maybe I can find workaround for this but after I am sure everything is fixed regarding some issue we have now.

The thing is though Abo, when I start a new thread, the Moderator options are displayed and they use the correct UK format, DD/MM/YYYY.

Not sure why there is an inconsistency.

image.png

Not a major issue, but it's certainly non-US people would like to see changed.

Edited by CBers

Testing after adding another language (UK), time and format now correct for whom want that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
pwhodges
On 8/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, Abobader said:

Testing after adding another language (UK), time and format now correct for whom want that.

How do I change this, then?  This screenshot taken as I type this post still shows the quote date in US form:

usquote.jpg.7f5eb64b9a838216769be59f37f093a4.jpg

EDIT: And it shows like that after posting, too (I checked in case it might be changed in one place and not the other).

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

• Solution
CBers
5 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

How do I change this, then?  This screenshot taken as I type this post still shows the quote date in US form:

EDIT: And it shows like that after posting, too (I checked in case it might be changed in one place and not the other).

Paul

At the bottom of the forum page, there is a drop-down LANGUAGE option, just choose  English (UK).

image.png.b6d1ad086ce16dfa57894700e82031d4.png

• Like 1

pwhodges

Thanks - I was expecting it somewhere in the user profile, but this works for me so I'm content.

Paul