4K Remux doesn't play

mariokings

mariokings

I have Emby installed on my LG smart TV, my movies are all on a NAS and all devices are in the same network.

I don't know why but for some reason the only version that transcodes and I'm not able to watch a movie is a 4K Remux version. It only says that is a direct play error, does anyone know why does this happen?

Thanks in advance,

Mário

error.png

Edited by mariokings

Happy2Play

Please post server and ffmpeg logs.

1 hour ago, mariokings said:

embyserver.txt 41.28 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode.txt 26.52 kB · 0 downloads

Here! It start at 15:38:00 to 15:39:00

The ffmpeg-remux is related to one first try 1/2 min earlier with audio TrueHD which my LG TV doesn't support, thats why I played it again but with DTS-HD at 15:38. The error is "direct play error".

ffmpeg-remux.txt 19.16 kB · 0 downloads

It appears portions of the ffmpeg logs are removed. Can you please supply the whole thing? Thanks.

SamES

Please try playing again, but select a different audio track before starting playback.  As you have found, TrueHD is not supported for playback by LG apps and this will cause remuxing which does not work well with 4K hevc files.

DTS should be OK, but it looks like there may be a 60Mbit limit set either in the client or the server which is very close to the file bitrate.  Try removing this and repeat playback with some different audio tracks and no subtitles.  Ideally you want to find the settings that allows this to DirectPlay as remuxing audio and transcoding video probably won't be successful.

mariokings

I have erased all subtitles and audios besides DTS-HD-MA 7.1 and AC3 5.1 which I tested both but it still trancoded the 2 times with the same error as before "direct play error". I still haven't a clue why does this happen with a remux version but with any other 4K version it runs direct play without a problem.

I will leave here the embyserver and all the ffmpeg logs of these 2 tests done together, in case it helps finding the problem.

ffmpeg-directstream.txt ffmpeg-remux.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2.txt ffmpeg-transcode.txt embyserver.txt

SamES

I am fairly certain that you won't get this file (4K/HEVC) to play successfully if audio or video needs conversion.  It will only be possible via DirectPlay.

I you have tried to select the AC3 track before starting playback and it still fails, then I'm not quite sure what's going on.

DTS and AC3 should play fine.  

I'm not sure what you've used to remove the audio streams, but can you try copying just the video and AC3 track to a new file (ie: remove the DTS and all the mjpeg streams).  Make sure you force Emby to rescan/refresh the metadata for this file and test playback again.  If that does not work then it is possible that there is a problem with the video stream. 

mariokings
12 hours ago, SamES said:

I am fairly certain that you won't get this file (4K/HEVC) to play successfully if audio or video needs conversion.  It will only be possible via DirectPlay.

I you have tried to select the AC3 track before starting playback and it still fails, then I'm not quite sure what's going on.

DTS and AC3 should play fine.  

I'm not sure what you've used to remove the audio streams, but can you try copying just the video and AC3 track to a new file (ie: remove the DTS and all the mjpeg streams).  Make sure you force Emby to rescan/refresh the metadata for this file and test playback again.  If that does not work then it is possible that there is a problem with the video stream. 

Yes, that was my point exactly, DTS and AC3 should play fine. In fact, it plays fine with 4K x265 and 4K x264, only on a REMUX version does not play direct and gives this error ("direct play error"). That's why I posted this post.

I used MKVToolNix GUI to remove the other audio streams.

Can you post the metadata for a file not playing correct?

You can find this information on the detail screen at the bottom of the page in the web app for the movie/show.

Thanks for posting that.  That will help the devs to determine if any any of the specs are too much for the device triggering a transcode.

mariokings
48 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks for posting that.  That will help the devs to determine if any any of the specs are too much for the device triggering a transcode.

Thank you!

SamES
7 hours ago, mariokings said:

Yes, that was my point exactly, DTS and AC3 should play fine. In fact, it plays fine with 4K x265 and 4K x264, only on a REMUX version does not play direct and gives this error ("direct play error"). That's why I posted this post.

I used MKVToolNix GUI to remove the other audio streams.

With MkvToolNix are you actually removing the streams, or just copying the streams you want to a new file?

rbjtech

.. are you playing via wifi or a direct Ethernet connection ?

If only higher bitrate REMUX's cause the problem - then it could simply be bandwidth related.

mariokings
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

.. are you playing via wifi or a direct Ethernet connection ?

If only higher bitrate REMUX's cause the problem - then it could simply be bandwidth related.

I am playing via direct ethernet connection.

True...but if it is indeed a bandwigth issue, shouldn't it say that? When I try to watch something via VPN for example, it says that has in fact bandwidth problems.

rbjtech

If Ethernet, then it's unlikely to be bandwidth as even though it's 'only' a 100Mbit connection (on the LG TV) - it is still plenty for all but the highest bitrate REMUX's > 85 Mbit/sec.

If you look throughout the LG section of this forum though you'll find many examples where users actually saw better performance on wifi than Ethernet.

nanuk
On 7/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, rbjtech said:

If Ethernet, then it's unlikely to be bandwidth as even though it's 'only' a 100Mbit connection (on the LG TV) - it is still plenty for all but the highest bitrate REMUX's > 85 Mbit/sec.

Sorry but here I have to disagree...

I also have an LG TV with 100 LAN Port, and as you say correctly same 4K Remuxes are having problems with the bandwith, but this not causes Emby to transcode the stream

When the bitrate is too high, the movie stucks for a second or two and then it continues to play 😉

Btw. since I use a gigabit LAN adapter on the usb 3.0 port, I never had any bandwith probs even with 4K remuxes anymore 😉

Edited by nanuk

SamES

If you copy the version of the file with just the DTS and AC3 file to a USB drive and connect it to the TV does the file play?

mariokings
1 hour ago, SamES said:

If you copy the version of the file with just the DTS and AC3 file to a USB drive and connect it to the TV does the file play?

With what app should I play the file on TV?

rbjtech

Just use the built in 'Media' app - you should see the USB stick appear as a 'Source' and then just scroll to the file to play it. 

4 hours ago, nanuk said:

Btw. since I use a gigabit LAN adapter on the usb 3.0 port, I never had any bandwith probs even with 4K remuxes anymore 😉

What adapter do you use?  Any special setup needed other than plugging it in?