Transcoding always required

tmedia

vdatanet

Maybe, but as far as I know there are no changes in the player. Later I will try with a device using the release version.

vdatanet
28 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@vdatanet could it be a stable vs beta difference?

Looks like tvOS 1.4.5.24 vs 1.4.6.8

There's no difference for me using the stable version:

1203666780_Capturadepantalla2020-07-17alas23_29_35.png.76b3ecc49fa30b23e5056b4be418493e.png

tmedia

I can successfully direct play HEVC 10 bit mp4 files with the hcv1 tag. Maybe this should go on that help page I linked in the first post?

tmedia
26 minutes ago, cayars said:

WOW, I am dumb!! I'm so sorry for wasting peoples time on here. I read that page multiple times and still missed that....

One good thing is that I know that those tags exist! I had no idea before this so I would have probably ended up here anyway.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Emby rocks :)

No sorry, I just added it after it was mentioned it should be added.

Is that ok there for the article?

tmedia
1 minute ago, cayars said:

No sorry, I just added it after it was mentioned it should be added.

Is that ok there for the article?

Oh man! I'm glad it wasn't me just missing it then!

Yes, I think that works just fine. I think it's not something most people know about. I've been messing with this stuff for about 3 years now and this was my first encounter with it.

It's a new one for me as well.  I have no Apple products and my family doesn't either so I've not been exposed to this.

I do have a question maybe someone could test and see what happens.

Take a mp4 that has been updates with the proper flag and remux it to an MKV.

Now what happens when it plays on your device?  Does Emby still transcode it or will it direct stream?

In the near future I might put together a new article that have advice for best way to prepare your media as a whole regardless of client.  Someone like me without apple products would never see this where I just updated it but if it's part of a general page then if followed a friend with apple would have no issue with the media.

Do I'm curios what happens with this MKV as this thread has only covered mp4.

vdatanet
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Do I'm curios what happens with this MKV as this thread has only covered mp4.

1) Using native player: Direct play of MKV files is not supported so direct streaming is used, but if MKV file is HEVC then transcoding is required because Emby uses HLS MPEGTS streaming. Apple requires HLS fMP4 for HEVC streaming and Emby does not support that  That's the biggest difference with Plex. Plex supports HLS fMP4 and you can direct stream HEVC MKVs.

2) Using MPV player: You can direct play HEVC MKVs, but if item is HDR it looks ugly:

Look at the post date, this problem is still present.

I am a former Plex user and that is only what I miss.

Developers: We need MKVs HDR HEVC support for Apple TV, please 🙋‍♂️

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

Riggs
7 hours ago, vdatanet said:

1) Using native player: Direct play of MKV files is not supported so direct streaming is used, but if MKV file is HEVC then transcoding is required because Emby uses HLS MPEGTS streaming. Apple requires HLS fMP4 for HEVC streaming and Emby does not support that  That's the biggest difference with Plex. Plex supports HLS fMP4 and you can direct stream HEVC MKVs.

2) Using MPV player: You can direct play HEVC MKVs, but if item is HDR it looks ugly:

Look at the post date, this problem is still present.

I am a former Plex user and that is only what I miss.

Developers: We need MKVs HDR HEVC support for Apple TV, please 🙋‍♂️

That feature is needed for a long time. And will be work not for Apple only, other devices need that too.

vdatanet

This has been previously discussed, but I take this opportunity to comment again, since it is related to the OP. This is why you cannot stream HEVC MKVs to Apple TV using native player. Developers say it is very hard to implement and requires major changes to the Emby server. So the only option left is to wait for improvements in the MPV player. 😟

General Authoring Requirements

A stream that matches these requirements should be compatible with iOS, tvOS, or macOS. Rules with a leading asterisk (*) are modified by one or more of the Amended Requirements.

Video

1. Video encoding requirements

1.1. All video MUST be encoded using H.264/AVC or HEVC/H.265.

1.2. The container format for H.264 video MUST be fragmented MP4 (fMP4) files or MPEG transport streams.

1.3a. For maximum compatibility, some H.264 variants SHOULD be less than or equal to High Profile, Level 4.1.

1.3b. * Profile and Level for H.264 MUST be less than or equal to High Profile, Level 5.2.

1.4. For H.264, you SHOULD use High Profile in preference to Main or Baseline Profile.

1.5. The container format for HEVC video MUST be fMP4.

• Like 1