Direct Play questions / Oppo 203

allineedis

allineedis

Looking for some help or confirmation.

My setup.

Server 4430 on a W10 i7

Using Direct Play to an Oppo 203

Emby Premiere user

I cannot get the following items working.

Playing 1 or 2 trailers as intro. 

Basically nothing happens trailer wise, the movie just starts. When I disconnect the Oppo, trailers works when using eg. the ipad directly or when using my APTV 4K. Only those 2 devices are of course not near the playback quality of an Oppo. Disconnecting also makes the trailer icon appear. Connecting to the Oppo makes the icon disappear.

Related question. Does emby support a trailer folder? I like to add my own trailers, ripped from disc or downloaded from apple. The quality of the trailers offered thru the plugin is not great.

Playing an iso file. 

I know this is a minority case and the general consensus is converting to mkv. But currently not one of the remuxers can correctly remux Atmos titles to mkv, especially seamlessly branched ones. There are plenty of reports out on the net confirming this. Also Dolby Vision, albeit that it is coming to mkv, is a vote for iso files. So the original iso is the only usable source if you want to enjoy a true 1 to 1 experience. Is there something that I can maybe add to the Profile of the Oppo to enable this?

Automatically play next episode.

This just does not work, although enabled. Playback stops after each episode.

Maybe all of this is just a because I am using Direct Play in combo with the Oppo 203 and it means I am out of luck, but actually I am hoping that it is an oversight on my side, setting I missed or some more (advanced) tweaking is needed.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Edited by allineedis

allineedis

Luke, thanks.

I am using the Oppo since that is the only way to get Dolby Vision and no glitches in Atmos tracks in case the titles are using seamless branching.

Ended up with emby since emby is the only media server that recognizes the Oppo right away and lets me use the Ipad as a remote. Really like that. 

Only when playing around with the combo more and more I found a couple of things I could not get to work and decided to ask. Some folks are masters in tinkering and maybe it was something I just did not have the technical know how for.

The trailer folder I meant actually only one folder that contains all trailers for all movies I have, not as a subfolder of the movie itself. I also have trailers where I do not have the full movie “yet”. As I understand from the link, trailers in emby are located in the movie folder, either with -trailer added or in a trailer folder.

Basically all these features are not available in my current set-up. That’s fine, just needed to know so I do not chase for nothing.

Related follow-up question.

Now that mkv has agreed a Dolby Vision standard and MAKEMKV is supporting this. Is there a mediaplayer that works perfectly with emby, plays dolby vision, atmos and possibly has full menu disc support? I might retire the Oppo. The shield?

Edited by allineedis

• 2 weeks later...

@allineedis

Yes I would suggest our app on the nvidia shield. It is currently the most robust device you can use for playback outside of a home theater computer.

allineedis

Thanks. Already tinkering with the shield. Actually a much better experience and my premiere subscription makes sense now.

• Like 1