TrueNAS Core

dcol

dcol

Now that the TrueNAS Core Beta is out and is replacing FreeNAS I was wondering if anyone had any test results yet.

Using FreeNAS has too many limitations such as no hardware acceleration or Realtime Monitoring to be useful as a primary Emby Server. Now that TrueNAS Core is using FreeBSD 12, I was wondering if these issues may be resolved.

dcol

Sort of rebranded, but a redesign. It is ixsystems new path. Uses FreeBSD 12 keeping all the same features as FreeNAS plus more. FreeNAS is at end of life and being replaced by TrueNAS Core.

I'm hoping that we can get back some of the Emby features not working in FreeNAS. I am setting up a test system as we speak.

Look here https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-core-features/

Edited by dcol

dcol

I setup Emby on TrueNAS and updated to 4.5.0.14. All went well. looks identical to Emby on FreeNAS. Still no Encoders or Decoders. (see below)

I have 9th generation Intel and Nvidia GTX 1660 installed.

EmbyTruenas1.thumb.jpg.3d92139867e09773140e8ef0542d67ba.jpg

Edited by dcol

MRobi
On 7/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, Luke said:

Is it just freenas rebranded or is it actually something new?

It's more of a rebrand. There's always been FreeNAS and TrueNAS and they were always maintained separately although over 95% of the code was identical. FreeNAS will now become TrueNAS core and TrueNAS will become TrueNAS Enterprise. It'll essentially be a free version and an enterprise version but it will now all be the same image so it will be easier to maintain. It will be based on FreeBSD12 although there's talks about future development which will allow it to run on top of Linux which is kind of exciting!

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-core-features/