HEVC video freezes, audio continues

davesurfer

davesurfer

So never had issues with HEVC video before, but lately, a lot of HEVC content is freezing a few minutes into the playback, it either freezes or the screen goes black, but the audio track continues without an issue, sometimes it will resume the video, most of the time it doesn't and I have to forcibily close Theater. What hardware acceleration settings should I configure for Theater or what should I do? I attached an image of the settings. I also wiped Windows and installed fresh, what video settings should I be using (i5-6500 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 530 graphics)? Thanks!

videosettings.jpg

Edited by davesurfer

Quick question.

When you are playing back the media is it showing as Direct Playing on the server?

davesurfer

Sorry guys I'm an idiot. It was doing this, so that's why I formatted and re-installed Windows, I quickly tested it on VLC player before installing Emby and saw that it was doing the same thing (It did it in VLC and other players and Theater before the Windows wipe). I installed Theater and then found that it works now! Sorry for wasting your time. However, should I just leave the video settings as is?

davesurfer
21 hours ago, cayars said:

Quick question.

When you are playing back the media is it showing as Direct Playing on the server?

Yep it's Direct Playing.

15 hours ago, Sammy said:

Post your server and transcode logs.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

So, I was wrong, I guess I should've tested it for longer than a few minutes! It still does the freezing with audio track playing on. Here's a posting of my logs (didn't know what "transcode logs" were so I posted some other ones if that helps! Thanks

ffmpeg-remux-c3cb3b1f-c8b9-45eb-ab81-436defc528ee_1.txt hardware_detection-63730272974.txt embyserver-63730272961.txt

Edited by davesurfer

If you are having issues playing these files back in VLC that would indicate it's not an Emby Theater problem but something on the system as a whole or the media itself.

I'd try playing this media back on another computer or two or sticking it on USB and plugging into a device or TV directly and try to play it.  That will help narrow it down to media or not.

davesurfer
12 hours ago, cayars said:

If you are having issues playing these files back in VLC that would indicate it's not an Emby Theater problem but something on the system as a whole or the media itself.

I'd try playing this media back on another computer or two or sticking it on USB and plugging into a device or TV directly and try to play it.  That will help narrow it down to media or not.

For sure, yeah I know it's not an Emby problem, but possibly some setting that was changed on a server update or something. I also know that VLC settings need to be adjusted to play HEVC movies as well. I can successfully play anything from my other PC, so it's something with that PC I guess. Would it be a hardware issue with the motherboard or something? It's the Intel 530 graphics.

First thing I'd do is stick a couple on thumb drives and try them on another computer.  Or of course just try playing from a network connection if other computers are on the same network.

That will help to determine if it's the media itself or computer.

davesurfer
30 minutes ago, cayars said:

First thing I'd do is stick a couple on thumb drives and try them on another computer.  Or of course just try playing from a network connection if other computers are on the same network.

That will help to determine if it's the media itself or computer.

Yeah it's the computer alright. Movies play fine over the network on my laptop. So the server is on the same machine as the Theater is installed. It's really weird why it all worked a couple weeks ago, then suddenly, stopped working--and it's only HEVC movies, and worse when it's a 4K one. If it was a hardware issue, you'd think I'd see artifacting of video or other issues.

• Like 1

davesurfer

Just on the dashboard part where it's saying "direct play" and where I can pause or stop the video? Or is there a more details stats?

Annotation 2020-07-14 220132.jpg

Also, I was positive it was fixed when I played a few minutes of another movie, then over 6 minutes of Avengers Endgame until it froze up again. It never played that far before. What I did before was to update to the latest Intel graphics driver, remove useless Intel services from loading like the HDCP protection service etc.

Edited by davesurfer

sooty234

No, actually in Theater. When playing, press Ctrl+j. A stats for nerds will overlay on the video you're watching. Take a screenshot of that and post it.

As it's direct playing, probably good to get an mpv log.

Edited by sooty234

davesurfer

Hey so weird, I tried hitting CTRL+J but nothing comes up. It works on my other laptop with Theater fine. Does this display things only about the video file or some things directly related to the machine it's playing on? Because I could do a screenshot from a working computer on that same video if you need?

I can't see the MPV log in the list on the dashboard, I'm guessing it's found elsewhere in the log folder?

sooty234

You'd have to manually set up the logging, but now I'm curious...

When playing, pull up the settings (the gear/cog) and try enabling the stats from there. 

davesurfer

So this is weird, I can't see the progress bar or the gear or anything while it's playing. It's just all black. When I play another movie, I can't see them either, but if I hover my mouse overtop of where I think the buttons are, I can click the buttons, such as the gear for settings. However, the only hidden button I can click on the Avengers Endgame x265 movie is the back button, which is also hidden. I've had this before a while back, is this a permissions thing or something?

Just an update, now when clicking on settings, nothing happens, settings doesn't pop up like it did the first time. So for all movies it just is black, I can hover over the buttons (when my mouse arrow changes to a hand icon and it shows a little label, "settings") and try press them but nothing happens. 

Edited by davesurfer

sooty234

Yeah. Just extract it to it's own folder, and run it from there. Then, whatever issues you have, we can work from that point.

davesurfer

Wow, so with this beta version or whatever, I've been running the 10 bit hevc movie that had been crashing for the last hour without issues!

Edited by davesurfer

sooty234

Yeah, I suspected that something was interfering with the render. It wasn't actually freezing, but the render to the display was being affected. The test build is using a different renderer, by default. It eliminates window conflicts.

davesurfer

So that version was posted April 2017, is it that old or is it being renewed from time to time? Just wondering about compatibility issues with newer Emby server and and stuff, if I will encounter that?

sooty234

No, the thread was started then. That build was posted recently. Luke updates it with test builds for us.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, davesurfer said:

So that version was posted April 2017, is it that old or is it being renewed from time to time? Just wondering about compatibility issues with newer Emby server and and stuff, if I will encounter that?

That is one disadvantage of a admin update/modifying a post and we have no idea.  But it looks like June 17 was about the last update

sooty234

For all to be aware. The test build is using libmpv as the default renderer. Under electron, it has limited functionality. Most notably, it will break HDR playback on Windows 10, if you run it in HDR mode. You have to switch to the GPU renderer for HDR playback, which will bring back all the existing overlay (and some uncommon playback) issues. And not to confuse you too much, you can force it to tone map, if you don't enable HDR in Windows 10. But that is probably confusing some of you. It will also break some of the hardware acceleration options. Just set that to auto, and most of you will be fine. This is also the reason why HDR won't work, but I won't get into that...