Is there a way to disable creation of the nfo file for DVR'd content?

MBSki
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK.  If you edit Library Kids is NFO file creation enabled?

Nope

image.png.4f3e5c60012d762058830bd05c689281.png

It was however enabled on my "Recordings" library when I first posted. I've since disabled and restarted the server, but it's still generating an nfo.  

Edited by mbarylski

Besides your Kids library do you have any libraries using these mount points?

D:\MediaCenter\Videos\Television\

D:\MediaCenter\Videos\

D:\MediaCenter\

I've setup on my test system something similar to your layout (I think) and have set a couple of recordings.

In the mean time would you be up for a remote TeamViewer session?  I could do a quick look at your lib setup and layout to see if I see anything that could cause this as well as get a better idea for trying to duplicate your NFO results with testing.

Download and install TeamViewer if you don't have it already and then just send me the ID and one-time use password via PM if this is OK with you.

Carlo

OK now here is something interesting.

I TeamViewed in and took a look.  Besides the "weird" path thing everything looked good. However with NFO turned off and even changing where recordings went to (I created new folder off the root), the NFO appeared.

So on my system I tested by kicking off a brand new recording and got the NFO generated at the start of recording and I have NFO turned off for my Recording Library.

I removed the NFO plugin from my system, restarted and did a recording and the NFO file is again created at the start of recording.

In about a half hour I'll know if the NFO is removed when the recording is complete but the NFO seems to get written regardless if the NFO plugin is installed or not!

• Haha 1

@Luke I've been testing this and even without the NFO plugin loaded on the system NFO files are being generated in the DVR recording folder.  There does not seem to be any way to turn this off.  The NFO file is written at the same time the .TS file is generated.

The NFO setting in Recording library does not control this at all obviously with the NFO files still being created without the NFO plugin installed.

• Thanks 1

• Solution

That's correct. There's currently no way to turn this off. It's possible for the future.

Is the NFO used for anything?

Would it be safe to delete using a post-processing script?

That's going to be a standard setup option for any library when the NFO plugin is installed.  In this case it seems like there is a reason the NFO needs to be written when Emby starts recording.  It could be a place holder for guide and metadata information.

What we need to find out from Luke is if there is any reason it can't be deleted after the show/movie is done recording.  If so we can delete this via a post-processing script.

10 hours ago, mbarylski said:

@Luke If there's no way to turn it off, what is the checkbox in the library for?

For the normal metadata fetched by the library scan. This nfo contains the metadata from the guide used by the recording process.

MBSki
9 hours ago, Luke said:

For the normal metadata fetched by the library scan. This nfo contains the metadata from the guide used by the recording process.

But the checkbox doesn't do anything for the DVR. The nfo gets written no matter what. So, take the DVR out of the equation for a second. What is the nfo checkbox for in the library if there's no DVR? If I check the box is it supposed to generate nfo's for my 1,000's of existing video files?

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

What is the nfo checkbox for in the library if there's no DVR?

Exactly what it is labelled to do: save metadata for your items in an NFO file.  The issue here is that the DVR is a separate system depositing not only the content but also the NFO into the library you pointed it to - so it "bypasses" that option.

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

If I check the box is it supposed to generate nfo's for my 1,000's of existing video files?

Yes, but only when they are saved.  It isn't going to take off and create those just by turning on the option.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but has there been any change to this? Also, would it be possible now or in the future for recordings to not save jpg and system files as well as the nfo files? It makes everything so very messy.

I think I asked the same thing a few months ago. 

@Luke Any chance you can change how this works? We don't all need the extra files. We just want the recording.

Also saving media in a more appropriate file structure would be great!

i.e.

Show > Season > Episode files (without the nfo, system info, and jpg files tacked on)

EDIT: Also, can we get properly named files without the LOOONG date/time stamps in the names?

sorry this is like 12 things in 1 lol

Edited by lukeoslavia

2 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Also saving media in a more appropriate file structure would be great!

i.e.

Show > Season > Episode files 

Doesn't it already do this? Only thing I'd like to change is how Season numbers are shown i.e. 01 vs 1, but that's a really tiny nitpick.

9 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Doesn't it already do this? Only thing I'd like to change is how Season numbers are shown i.e. 01 vs 1, but that's a really tiny nitpick.

mine just seems to dump them in the show folder outside of the season folders. If there is a setting available to change that, id be super happy to learn about it.

Mostly though, I just don't want a bunch of extra unnecessary files added in, if we can get rid of that, I can take care of the rest.

Edited by lukeoslavia

21 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

mine just seems to dump them in the show folder outside of the season folders. If there is a setting available to change that, id be super happy to learn about it.

Hmmm, I'm not aware of an extra setting. Is your library a TV Show library? Maybe if it's mixed content it doesn't create the season folders? Not sure about that one. It's always created season folders for me.

21 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Mostly though, I just don't want a bunch of extra unnecessary files added in, if we can get rid of that, I can take care of the rest.

Agreed.

Since it goes into a mixed content library it's not always easy for the library scanner to determine if something is a movie or an episode of a series. In such cases the presence of the nfo can help.

Also you most likely have internet metadata enabled on the recording library, but presumably you don't want incorrect matches with metadata lookups. So the nfo helps prevent that.

Even if it's not, the internet metadata reasoning still stands.

There are a lot of programs in the guide that won't exist on metadata providers and that will lead to false matches and wrong data.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Since it goes into a mixed content library it's not always easy for the library scanner to determine if something is a movie or an episode of a series. In such cases the presence of the nfo can help.

Also you most likely have internet metadata enabled on the recording library, but presumably you don't want incorrect matches with metadata lookups. So the nfo helps prevent that.

Would it be possible to just use the guide data to name the shows appropriately? I would prefer a few mislabeled episodes due to improper guide data than 3 additional files with every recording personally. 

Either way additional file handling would be excellent for Live TV recordings to get them in the right place. From the media servers and services I've used, emby seems to be the only one that utilizes these additional files.

I would much rather do without them, even if it means the occasional show doesn't line up with internet metadata. Maybe even in that event allow us to dump them into a separate folder if metadata cannot be fetched?