Is there a way to disable creation of the nfo file for DVR'd content?

MBSki
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MBSki

I really don't need the nfo file. Can I disable it's creation when DVR'ing content?

Edit your Recordings Library.  You should be able to turn it off there.

MBSki

Tried this, but it didn't work. Unless i didn't use the right setting or I need a server restart before it takes effect. This is the only setting I could find. Is this the one you're referring to?

image.png.7b6d09b541e150463c90a365bcf71e3a.png

Unchecking that will not delete any NFOs that already exist.  Are you saying you unchecked that and it is still saving NFOs for NEW recordings?

MBSki

Yes, I unchecked last night and the recording this morning had an nfo. Also, my original issue was for a completely different library that never had nfo checked and it was still generating nfo's. Is there another global setting somewhere else that I'm missing?

Are you using the default recording library or have you provided custom paths?

MBSki

I'm pretty sure I'm using the default recording library for the first one, but my second library is a custom path.

image.png.7f98244eb2a6e2227dbe865c863dd46b.png 

image.png.c341ba695ac77e55ea4659457aa3794b.png

I'm honestly not sure what that specific set of option values will produce as you've indicated a custom location for both default and then JUST series - which, I guess, is defacto meaning that the default will be for movies...

I'd try taking the path you have in the default field and moving it to the movie field.  Then setup libraries with the proper type for those two locations (movies and series) and set options accordingly.

• Like 1

MBSki

I have to set a location for the default. Where would the files record to if I don't give it a location?

Regardless, something isn't working the way it should. If I uncheck nfo it shouldn't generate. That's all there is to it. Can you please just fix it? Why would the fact that I'm using custom paths matter?

15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I have to set a location for the default. Where would the files record to if I don't give it a location?

No  you don't - not if you provide custom paths for the other two.  There are only two types of recordings - Series and not series (which we treat as movies).  So, providing a path for both series and movies covers all recordings.

15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

f I uncheck nfo it shouldn't generate

The issue is exactly where you set that option.  By doing what I suggested above, I think we can remove any confusion in that.

MBSki

@ebr I really don't understand why you're debating me on this. If unchecking nfo is supposed to stop the creation of nfo's then it should just stop creation of nfo's regardless of whether or not I have custom paths set. Maybe that's how it was originally coded, and I'm guessing it was coded that way before custom paths were added. But, custom paths are in the app now so unchecking nfo should stop the creation of nfo's when custom paths are set as well as when they aren't. 

Can you please just fix it? You can't seriously be telling me that this is how it's supposed to work when there is absolutely no indication to a user that they can only remove the creation of nfo's when using the default path for the main recording directory. That's much too confusing. Please just simplify it so it makes sense to a general user.

ebr is simply trying to help you set things up in a known working manner which will also help in diagnosing what may be causing the NFO files to write when you don't want them to.

First step in fixing something is diagnosing what causes the problem.

MBSki

@cayars Ok, I didn't pick that up from his message, but if you say so. It would be helpful to understand what the code is telling it to do. Is it "If custom paths are set then ignore nfo checkbox setting"? If that's what the code says, then I wouldn't think any other testing would be required. The code says it all.

I prefer not to mess with my production install, so I'd rather have more info before making any changes.   

MBSki

Well I attempted to test anyways and I'm still getting an nfo. Might not be understanding how I'm supposed to configure it though, which leads me back to I'd rather not mess with my production install and can you please just fix it? 😄

It's just that you're settings a bit strange looking even if working correctly.

Normally you would just set the Default path and not the movies or TV Shows paths if they fall under the default path.

You on the other hand are setting everything to "Recorded TV" which sound like TV shows but then record all TV shows to a folder called "Kids".  It appears this will make the "Recorded TV" only used for Movies while "Kids" is used for all TV Shows which could include adult or unrated shows.

The optional paths are useful if you want to store movies vs shows in different places.  Example Movies to E:\RecordedMovies and TV Shows to F:\RecordedTVShows

BTW, forgot to add I'm testing this on my system right now to see if I can duplicate your results with NFO not enabled on the recording library.  I've deleted all NFOs from my recordings so it should be easy to see if they get generated again.

MBSki

@cayars Ok, thanks. Yes, I can understand that mine is a little strange, because I'm trying to tweak it to work the way Plex does. I can't completely do it, because we obviously need the ability to pick the library we want to record to for each recording. But, I'm trying to work with the limitations as I await that upgrade. So, at the moment I'm only recording News, which I send to my recorded TV library, and Kids shows which go to my Kids library. Kids could get other shows, but I'm just choosing not to set up any recordings that are not Kids or News. Movies are the only thing I don't care about because I never record Movies from TV. I don't want the commercials. 😄

This current setup had been working in terms of getting News and Kids shows to go the correct library. Now that I messed with it, we'll see if that's still the case, but it had been working. Only issue was nfo's, which in the grand scheme of things is a much lower priority compared to getting a manual selection of libraries for each recording. So, my request is to put nfo's at #2,000 to fix and bump recording library selection for each recording up to #1. 😁 

By any chance is "D:\MediaCenter\Videos\Television\Kids" part of another library to make these recordings easier to access for you kids?

The issue is that the option of whether or not to write NFO files is per library.  If you do what I suggested (which should be functionally equivalent) then we can be sure that you are setting the option in the place where it will be effective.

Thanks.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

By any chance is "D:\MediaCenter\Videos\Television\Kids" part of another library to make these recordings easier to access for you kids?

No, it's a library just for Kids shows. Easier to physically separate the files rather than rely on filters to do the work.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

The issue is that the option of whether or not to write NFO files is per library.  If you do what I suggested (which should be functionally equivalent) then we can be sure that you are setting the option in the place where it will be effective.

Thanks.

I'm guessing I just don't understand what you're suggesting. I thought I already changed it to what you said, because I blanked out the recording path and added custom paths for both Movies and Series (screen shot below). And, both of those libraries with the custom paths have nfo unchecked, but it still didn't work. In fact, none of my libraries have nfo checked. If none of my libraries have nfo set, why would nfo still get generated? 

image.png.ff8779572ae167951bb6a1dd329a1163.png

MBSki
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

What is the name of this Library on your system?

Just "Kids".

OK.  If you edit Library Kids is NFO file creation enabled?

2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I'm guessing I just don't understand what you're suggesting. I thought I already changed it to what you said, because I blanked out the recording path and added custom paths for both Movies and Series (screen shot below). And, both of those libraries with the custom paths have nfo unchecked, but it still didn't work. In fact, none of my libraries have nfo checked. If none of my libraries have nfo set, why would nfo still get generated? 

image.png.ff8779572ae167951bb6a1dd329a1163.png

Okay, I missed you stating that you had done that.  Thanks.

That just gets us into a more standard setup so we can investigate if there is some sort of edge issue regarding recordings vs other content.

Cayars - can you reproduce the NFO setting not working properly for recording libraries setup this way?