Emby on Android Shield TV - HDHomerun Live TV Channels keep freezing!

Daxman27
Go to solution Solved by Daxman27,

It crashes with those other clients as well?  How about if you play it back from a web browser.

What is the Firmware version on the HDHomeRun?

Daxman27
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

It crashes with those other clients as well?  How about if you play it back from a web browser.

What is the Firmware version on the HDHomeRun?

Yes. It is like the recording is currupted because the original stream was bad. 

HD Home run firmware : 20200521

30 minutes ago, Leoh27 said:

It records but it crashes when I try to play it back. If I record any of the iptv channels it records and plays back fine. 

Was this just a recording and no Live TV going on at the same time?

Do me a favor and see what the reported speed of your network is on the Shield (long shot).

freddyfinn

A few things one is WiFi. 

Make sure the WiFi channel on the router is NOT set to auto.  The Shield wont work properly on the higher 5Ghz channels.  Always use the lowest chanel possible.

If hardware transcoding is on even though it is not in use for the direct streams it causes playback to start slow and channel locking is more prevalent.

Edited by freddyfinn

Daxman27
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Was this just a recording and no Live TV going on at the same time?

Do me a favor and see what the reported speed of your network is on the Shield (long shot).

I recorded the show while doing live tv but the recording is corrupted because the stream froze several times while recording it. 

Speed is good over 100 Mbps. Up and down. 

I appreciate all the help. After all the troubleshooting it is really isolated to live tv coming form the HDHomeRun device. 

The streams coming from the iptv channels work flawlessly. Recordings also work as well. They all stream well to all the devices. Is just playing live tv from the hdhomerun source that is causing the issues. 

I even have feeds of the same local channels from the iptv source and they play without any issues. Using these channels for now is my workaround but I want to make the hdhomerun work since it provides a more reliable source in case the iptv service goes down. 

Daxman27
10 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

A few things one is WiFi. 

Make sure the WiFi channel on the router is NOT set to auto.  The Shield wont work properly on the higher 5Ghz channels.  Always use the lowest chanel possible.

If hardware transcoding is on even though it is not in use for the direct streams it causes playback to start slow and channel locking is more prevalent.

All devices with the problem are connected using ethernet. 

I will make sure to change the hardware transcoding settings. 

Edited by Leoh27

freddyfinn
2 minutes ago, Leoh27 said:

I appreciate all the help. After all the troubleshooting it is really isolated to live tv coming form the HDHomeRun device. 

Since the HD Home run firmware update 20200521 i've had nothing but issues 

Great ethernet excellent.

Have you tried a different drive for transcoding?

We don't know why it did that.  Try not to use the device at all.

From a PC find a 30 hour show and record it.  Then we'll try and play that back.

This way there won't be any other processes getting in the way.  This may shed some light on where to look.

1 minute ago, freddyfinn said:

What kind of problem?

Daxman27
12 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

Great ethernet excellent.

Have you tried a different drive for transcoding?

But if the HDHomeRun works well and steam the channels without any issues using the hdhomerun app. Can it still cause issues in emby? 

I just did the standard installation on the shieldtv pro

I don't know how to change the drive for transcoding. 

Still, if the drive is the problem, wouldn't it be also causing problems transcoding the iptv feeds? 

freddyfinn
25 minutes ago, cayars said:

What kind of problem?

For me the tuners locking.

10 minutes ago, Leoh27 said:

But if the HDHomeRun works well and steam the channels without any issues using the hdhomerun app. Can it still cause issues in emby? 

I just did the standard installation on the shieldtv pro

I don't know how to change the drive for transcoding. 

Still, if the drive is the problem, wouldn't it be also causing problems transcoding the iptv feeds? 

Under Transcoding in emby look for Temp Path 

Edited by freddyfinn

Daxman27
21 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

For me the tuners locking.

Under Transcoding in emby look for Temp Path 

Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Leoh27 said:

Yes. It is like the recording is currupted because the original stream was bad. 

So nothing is actually "crashing" - the playback is just stopping, correct?

Daxman27
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

So nothing is actually "crashing" - the playback is just stopping, correct?

Correct. Recordings work fine. The only problem is playing back the recording since the original feed had problems.  After doing more testing and playing recordings the app crash and I got a message that the USB drive I am using got disconnected. I am wondering if the problems are related it might be related to a faulty USB drive.

freddyfinn
35 minutes ago, Leoh27 said:

Correct. Recordings work fine. The only problem is playing back the recording since the original feed had problems.  After doing more testing and playing recordings the app crash and I got a message that the USB drive I am using got disconnected. I am wondering if the problems are related it might be related to a faulty USB drive.

I am getting the same issue with internal drives. I've used a M.2 SSD and a Raid SSD drive. 

Watching live HD TV tonight I got 45 minutes into the news and the playback just stopped. I could skip back and watch but couldn't go forward. This issue has caused the app to crash a few times. 

Not ideal using a USB drive but it seams one of the segments becomes corrupted. 

I had no issues on Windows Server 2016 only since switching to Windows 10 build 2004. 

2 hours ago, Leoh27 said:

Thought we asked this but looking back don't see the question.

Where are you saving your records to as far as location?  Is your storage space to a USB drive?  Is so what kind.

Edited by cayars

@freddyfinn Would you mind starting a different thread to make this easier as your running your server on a PC and this is the Shield TV Android Server.

Thanks

• Solution
Daxman27

Problem Solved!

After the last test of one of the recordings, I noticed that I got an USB disconnected error on the ShieldTV. Since I have an older 128GB USB thumb drive as additional storage, the Emby Server and Media servers were located in the USB.

I replaced the USB drive, did a clean install and now all the feeds from the HD Homerun device are streaming without any problems.

I want to thank you all for your help and quick responses. I was just planning on doing Emby premium for this  month to determine if it was going to replace Plex with it but after the awesome support I got in this group I am definitely staying with Emby.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

That's awesome news.  You might find a 128 GB drive will fill up rather fast depending on how much info you typically record.

Congrats on your choice between the two.  You won't regret the decision!

Daxman27
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

That's awesome news.  You might find a 128 GB drive will fill up rather fast depending on how much info you typically record.

Congrats on your choice between the two.  You won't regret the decision!

Actually I replaced it with a 1 TB external HD. But I am thinking on buying a dedicated hard drive for recordings. Is there one you recommend in regards to performance and stability? Or am I better by mounting the new drive as a network drive on my computer instead of attach the USB drive to the ShieldTV?

Faster the better.  I do my recording to SSD drives personally which keeps the IO fast.

If you have something that works right now, do nothing and just monitor how the speed of your present drive works.  Then you got a "baseline" speed of drive you know will work.  Anything faster will just be a plus for you!

freddyfinn
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Faster the better.  I do my recording to SSD drives personally which keeps the IO fast.

SSD all the way. But for storage depending on how much you record an external 2tb should do. 

Really happy you got it fixed. I've been going through the same check list on Windows but the issues still persist unfortunately. 

I will load it up on shield and test now you have it sorted. 

It seems to be an issue in my case with Win10 and I'm tempted to put my Server 2016 M.2 card back in and retry that. 

Open a new thread for your machine and let's have at it. :)

freddyfinn
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Open a new thread for your machine and let's have at it. :)

😂😂😂

I've got a mac mini sitting gathering dust so I will load emby up on that just to discount any potential hardware issues. I can then bootcamp and test Windows 10 1903  then upgrade to 2004 and see if that's a problem.  

You never know with MS!