Emby on Android Shield TV - HDHomerun Live TV Channels keep freezing!

Daxman27
Go to solution Solved by Daxman27,

Daxman27

I finally made the change to Emby after having all kinds of problems with Plex, still to this day I have not been able to make Plex work on the Shield TV.

I love Emby, and is working great on my network. However, I am having an issue with Live TV when using HDHomerun for local channels.

The local channels streams keep freezing every 20 seconds or so and then they continue playing normally but is very annoying that the stream pauses for 3-5 seconds every time.

I isolated the problem to the channels on the guide being fed by the HDHomerun device since I am also loading an IPTV source and the channels play without any problems. I also tested the channels using the HDHomerun on my device and they stream fine. The problem is just related to the channels being fed by the HDHomerun Quatro.

I have tried removing the HDHomerun source from Emby Live TV section and adding it again, refreshing the guide and I cant get rid of the issue.

Has anyone experienced this problem or know what the issue might be? Any suggestions on how I can fix the problem?

I really like Emby and I want to make it work since their interface and features are the best I have seen so far. I hope I have better luck with support compared to Plex.

Thanks in advance.

Emby Server Version 4.3.3.0 running on Nvidia Shield Pro.

So this is Emby running on the Shield. Playback on the Shield and the feed coming from the HDHomeRun Quatro correct?

When looking at the channel what does Emby Server show for this?  Direct Stream, transcode?

Daxman27

Correct. Server running in shield tv pro, streamig to another shield tv pro and also happening when streaming to the same shield tv where emby is running. Feed is coming from HDHomerun for local channels. It is direct streaming as you can see from the screen shot attached. Screenshot_20200712-154644_Emby.thumb.jpg.c9a89d0d47a27bf40a0b04571d6fcb29.jpg

It shouldn't be pausing like that.  Have you tried playing the HDHomeRun through LiveChannels to see how this plays back on the Shields?

Have you restarted the Quatro?

Daxman27

Yes and yes. The channels stream without any problems using the hdhomerun app on the shieldtv. I tried restarting both the hdhomerun and the emby server. I also try to stream to an iPad and still having the same problem so it looks like is a server related issue. 

How is your Shield connected to the network.  Are you using WIFI?

Daxman27

The HDHomerun device, Emby server and the other shield tv device are all Ethernet connected. The Ipad I used for the testing is connected via WIFI. It really seems related to just the HDHomerun feeds since, as I mention before, I also have an IPTV feed using M3U and all the channels channels stream without any issues. Is just the local channels coming from the HDHomerun.

I just reboted both, the HDHomerun and the Emby server, and I am still having the problem. I am even running the HDHomerun Config GUI tool on my computer to check the signal strength of the channels and they all are 100% so there are no issues with the antenna signalseither. It has something to do with the Emby server processing the HDHomerun feed.

If you start a stream and then from the HDHomeRun web check that specific tuner channel what is it showing?

Daxman27

I apologize but I don't understand the question. I am streaming channel 4 on the Emby. I am opening the GUI interface and that is the feedback I get on the signal strength. I am not sure what you mean by HDHomeRun web check. 

Your HDHomeRun will have an IP.  Open Chrome or other web browser and type in

http://192.168.1.22/ or whatever it's IP is.

Click on Tuner Status and then the channel being played back in Emby.

If you can take a picture of that screen as there will be bunch of info on it.

Do you have the ability to test with a server running on a different platform?

I'm going to guess this could be some sort of bottleneck related to storage access on the Shield (that is running the server).

Oh, that's the same info from the utility :)

Safe to assume this happens with any of the primary channels x.1?  One thing I can think of is that these are likely mpeg2 video while the IPTV streams are likely h.264 encoded.

I'm sort of at a loss of things to check as it might be the storage isn't fast enough.

Curious what the Mpbs of channel 4.2 if you have one or another sub channel?  Same issue with those?

If you have a local FOX network channel can you try that as well?  I fishing to see if any difference between 720p vs 1080i and HD vs SD channels.

Any chance you could install the PC version of Emby and ONLY configure the one HDHomeRun tuner in it (no libraries or IPTV feeds required).

Just as simple a test as possible to see if you experience the same issue streaming Live TV from a PC based server.

Have you recorded any shows on the Shield TV?  If so how do they playback?

Do you get any stutter or delays with recorded stuff playing them back?

Edited by cayars

Daxman27
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Oh, that's the same info from the utility :)

Safe to assume this happens with any of the primary channels x.1?  One thing I can think of is that these are likely mpeg2 video while the IPTV streams are likely h.264 encoded.

I'm sort of at a loss of things to check as it might be the storage isn't fast enough.

Curious what the Mpbs of channel 4.2 if you have one or another sub channel?  Same issue with those?

If you have a local FOX network channel can you try that as well?  I fishing to see if any difference between 720p vs 1080i and HD vs SD channels.

Yes it only happens with the channels coming from the Antenna (HDHomerun). Here is the screenshot for FOX and it happens as well. I will be surprise that is an issue related to storage since as I mention I am getting close to 200 channels with IPTV and they all stream without any issues. When I got the Shield TV Pro the reviews and feedback was that it is a powerful device capable to host a server for Plex or Emby without any problems.

image.png.f2ae53b1caf57b5b856e9cd858050d62.png

I had edited my previous message and you might not have see the question.

If you record a movie/show and then try and play it back AFTER it's done recording do you have any problems playing it?

Worth a try but these weren't transcoded streams.

If you record a movie/show and then try and play it back AFTER it's done recording do you have any problems playing it?

Daxman27
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

Worth a try but these weren't transcoded streams.

It records but it crashes when I try to play it back. If I record any of the iptv channels it records and plays back fine. 

Daxman27
37 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

If you are using hardware acceleration turn it off and restart server and retry.

I checked that when I added the source originally. I will try that. 

3 minutes ago, Leoh27 said:

It records but it crashes when I try to play it back. If I record any of the iptv channels it records and plays back fine. 

Crashes the app?

Is this the same Shield TV that is the server?  If so play it back on a PC or other device.

What is the current firmware on your HDHomeRun?

Daxman27
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Crashes the app?

Is this the same Shield TV that is the server?  If so play it back on a PC or other device.

What is the current firmware on your HDHomeRun?

It crashes the playback and takes me back to the emby screen. This is on the same shield but I am experiencing the problem on another shield client and an iPad.