AVI files won't play on Roku any longer

anujpuri85
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

anujpuri85

Since the recent Emby update for Roku, none of my AVI files play. They'll begin playing, and then a minute into the file, it'll start buffering, then continue playing again, and will start buffering again, until it then gives a playback error. This is only with AVI file types. Everything else seems to work fine. Looking on my Emby server dashboard, it shows the files as transcoding, and has buffered plenty, so it shouldn't be a buffering/internet issue (plus this is inside my home network and outside on another roku, and on both Roku tvs and Roku ultra). Any thoughts? I've attached the server log file and the ffmpeg log file from Emby.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1f754d01-240b-47bd-9462-fbd453ff6675_1.txt

Hi, as a test, if you turn off hardware transcoding under server transcoding settings, does that make a difference?

anujpuri85

@Luke

I went to the Transcoding tab and set "Enable hardware acceleration when available:" to No. Is this what you mean? Setting this to No had no effect.

Edited by anujpuri85

• Solution
Happy2Play

Will have to look for the other topic but if you disable Transcode Throttling is should resolve your issue as the Roku firmware update has created a issue here, if it is the same issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87119-roku-93-loadingtranscode

Edited by Happy2Play
added link

Hi.  Was the reason you only saw this with AVI files because those are the only ones that needed to be transcoded?

anujpuri85

@ebr

I honestly don't know why AVI was the only file type that wasn't playing, as other extensions (MPG, MP4, MKV) all played fine and they were transcoding as well (or at least the dashboard showed them as transcoding).