Randomly Assigned Artist in Music Metadata

jconnin
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

jconnin

I'm struggling with artists being randomly assigned to some of my albums.  They are either all from 'The President's Own' United States Marine Band, or most of them are from that artist.  Within my music directory for Emby every artist has their own folder and there are no music files that aren't in a folder.  There are a few random albums in the main directory that aren't nested under an artist (I hope to fix that in the future).  In the first image below, note that the artist for each of the albums should be listed as 'The President's Own' United States Marine Band (that's the folder they are in, and the Artist and Album Artist are both listed as 'The President's Own' United States Marine Band within the metadata (that's what the other two images show).  Joshua Redman is listed as the artist for two of the albums, but he isn't, and he also isn't the composer.  Joshua Redman has his own folder and has 4 albums in the folder, none of which is these albums.  I selected Joshua Redman as the Artist within Emby and found that he has many albums, from various artists, that were incorrectly assigned to him (see 4th image).  Richard Wagner is a similar story, except that he doesn't have his own folder.  Wagner is a composer for some of the "songs" on some of my albums, but not that one.

Previously I had this problem, except that these albums were "randomly" assigned to Audioslave.  In an attempt to solve the problem, I deleted the library.db and the metadata folder for Emby.  After everything loaded, this is what I got.  Similar problem, but different artists assigned.  I also disabled all media updating from outside sources (last image).

Any suggestions to solve the problem?  I've attached the directory tree for the 'The President's Own' United States Marine Band folder.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

image.png.b3b15701c50f3d5ab9e369f8ad26e776.png

image.thumb.png.d2b3956bc933a74e6f97eb96914c2cd2.png

image.thumb.png.28dad9f2a28d590bfa0c4ee5e6e90958.png

image.thumb.png.8ae6dbeddd9e209f2c154e37714c11b2.png

image.thumb.png.c767e75d9c7948604e1177e48c34fb1a.png

Marine.txt

Edited by jconnin

• Solution
Happy2Play

Best guess would be the Musicbrainz metadata match.  Select edit metadata on the item, what externalids are shown?

• Like 1

jconnin
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Best guess would be the Musicbrainz metadata match.  Select edit metadata on the item, what externalids are shown?

Looks like you're right.  Could this be a relic from before I deselected Musicbrainz?  I deleted the metadata folders and library.db AFTER I changed that setting.  What would be my next steps?

image.png.9c01a4e9e2ef4bc4ff33b27bd91cab5a.png

Happy2Play

If you nuked the library.db and disabled or removed the MusicBrainz plugin and are still getting these id, then they would have to be in metadata within the folder or embedded in the album tracks.

Ideally you would need to use ffprobe to read the info from the tracks as that is what Emby uses.  I believe you have to look at extended tags in mp3tag to see musicbrainz tags if tagged.

• Like 1

jconnin
17 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you nuked the library.db and disabled or removed the MusicBrainz plugin and are still getting these id, then they would have to be in metadata within the folder or embedded in the album tracks.

Ideally you would need to use ffprobe to read the info from the tracks as that is what Emby uses.  I believe you have to look at extended tags in mp3tag to see musicbrainz tags if tagged.

I'm trying to clear that data and then "refresh metadata" and "Scan Library Files" in Emby to see what happens.  If needed, I'll delete the library.db file again after this.  I'm using mp3tag under extended tags, then deleting that data (with the 'x" on the right of the menu).  I'll post again after I find out if it works.  Thanks for your advice.

image.thumb.png.a1c60a96f6d8e29c73e3dcba2df81aba.png

jconnin
41 minutes ago, jconnin said:

I'm trying to clear that data and then "refresh metadata" and "Scan Library Files" in Emby to see what happens.  If needed, I'll delete the library.db file again after this.  I'm using mp3tag under extended tags, then deleting that data (with the 'x" on the right of the menu).  I'll post again after I find out if it works.  Thanks for your advice.

Neither of these options worked, so I'm 1) shutting down Emby, 2) renaming library.db to library.db.backup, and 3) restarting Emby.  We'll see how this works out...

Happy2Play

No knowing what other libraries you have, have you tried removing the media doing a scan, then re-adding it?

Happy2Play

Also in mp3tag if you click on the individual tracks (extended tags) do they show any musicbrainz tags?  I have only did some testing with mp3tag so I don't know all the ins and outs of clearing multi-track tags.  I use MusicBrainz Picard and will edit the tags there if needed.

Edited by Happy2Play

jconnin
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Also in mp3tag if you click on the individual tracks (extended tags) do they show any musicbrainz tags?

I've already deleted the library and am starting fresh.  It takes a while, but I'm not using anything on Emby right now, so it's not a huge deal.  Since I blank-deleted the Musicbrainz tags from the Marine Band stuff, I checked a track from Joshua Redman and found that he does have tags from musicbrainz.  Since I used Musicbrainz Picard to do a lot of the tagging for me, I'm not surprised.  I remember having trouble with the Marine Band albums in Picard, so I think I switched over to MP3tag and manually tagged them after trying to auto-tag a few, which might explain the inconsistency.  If this solves the problem, I guess I know what to do with any problems like it in the future.

image.png.0a2b906234c274d821fb6bf55bda50be.png

Happy2Play

One question would be why are those tags showing information?  When I clear those tags they disappear from Extended tags.

jconnin
2 hours ago, jconnin said:

Neither of these options worked, so I'm 1) shutting down Emby, 2) renaming library.db to library.db.backup, and 3) restarting Emby.  We'll see how this works out...

This worked.  I’m guessing there is a better way than deleting the library.db in the future. Do you have a recommendation?  Thanks again for all of your help!  

Regarding the tags showing information, I’m thinking you misunderstood what I meant above.  The tags are cleared in all of the Marine Band files now.  The file I checked for musicbrainz tags was another file.  Anyway, all of the Marine Band stuff seems to be displaying correctly now.  Thank you again!

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, jconnin said:

This worked.  I’m guessing there is a better way than deleting the library.db in the future. Do you have a recommendation?  Thanks again for all of your help!  

Ideally just removing the specific media and doing a library scan should remove linking in the database, ensuring the tags are gone from the media and re-adding should be the recommended route.