Transfer to a new setup?

the-dumb1

the-dumb1

Hi,

I pulled my hard drive out and replaced it with a new drive.  I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on the new drive and was successful in installing Emby.  I was also successful in pointing it to my media library, but it didn't pick up things like what was favorited or my "persons".  I'm pretty sure these are stored somewhere on my old drive.

I've got the old drive hooked up to my computer and I can freely navigate it.  Just want to know where all the old emby files are located and any tips on how to migrate the old data over to the new computer.

If it helps I am a premier subscriber so I have access to all the plugins that may be useful.

Thanks!

@cayars

sfatula

Well, the best way (too late now?) to have done it was to use the backup & restore plugin as it restores everything except series timers. Series timers are at /var/lib/emby/data/livetv

Have a read through this knowledge base article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

There is a lot of information in that to help.

If you want to keep everything you previously had you really want to copy your old set of folders over and then check/change your libraries if any of the paths have changed.

Edited by cayars

Cthalpa

Insanely simple:

1) On the old server create a complete backup of /var/lib/emby (e.g. tar -cvf /root/old-emby.tar /var/lib/emby/ -R)
2) Download and install emby on the new server
3) Stop emby on the new server (service emby-server stop)
4) Delete EVERYTHING in the /var/lib/emby folder on the new server
5) Copy the backup file from the old server to the new server
6) Untar (unpack) the backup file into /var/lib/emby on the new server
7) Start emby on the new server (service emby-server start)

Done!

• Like 1

the-dumb1
On 7/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, Luke said:

Has this helped?

I was able to start up the old system and run a backup using the configuration backup plugin but it didn't bring over the images for the persons/people.  I'll have to try the steps above to see if the manual backup makes a difference.

Cthalpa
8 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

I was able to start up the old system and run a backup using the configuration backup plugin but it didn't bring over the images for the persons/people.  I'll have to try the steps above to see if the manual backup makes a difference.

It’s the only Way to do it right!

the-dumb1
4 hours ago, Cthalpa said:

It’s the only Way to do it right!

Favorites came back which is great.  Some of my persons pictures came back, but most are still broken.  I suspect I have permissions issues.  My media is owned by red and the group is red too.  I've added emby to the red group but I'm not sure why it's still broke ... Not sure where to start???

the-dumb1

One additional thing too ... Emby sees my media but won't play it.  Which is why I think there's a permissions issue.

Cthalpa
2 hours ago, the-dumb1 said:

One additional thing too ... Emby sees my media but won't play it.  Which is why I think there's a permissions issue.

Of course it is, so change permissions accordingly, or change the user that Emby runs as.

the-dumb1
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Has this helped?

Ok, so I'm really having trouble.  Here's more information.

My "media" is really a LUKS-encrypted drive, and so is my main (boot) drive. The media drive is not auto-mounted when I log in, and the login I use is "red" (it is a non-administrative account).  I mount the media drive from the GUI and can navigate/access all content without issue.

When I try to create a new Library in Emby, pointing it to a directory (say /media/red/filez/Videos), Emby lets me navigate to /media/red but it does not "see" the directory filez.

Output of "groups red" includes red itself AND emby, and coincidentally, output of "groups emby" also includes emby itself and red.

The owner and group of /media/red and everything beneath it is red:red with at least 77x on every directory, sometimes 775 (note: it is 775 for /media/red/filez for sure).

I'm thoroughly confused.  Don't know where to start ... but know that I don't want to go back to my old hard drive (it's on its last legs).

That kind of setup isn't going to work well at all.  There should be little need for any type of encryption for a media library and media server.

You would be best served to remove the encryption.

the-dumb1
1 hour ago, cayars said:

That kind of setup isn't going to work well at all.  There should be little need for any type of encryption for a media library and media server.

You would be best served to remove the encryption.

Do you know what my needs are?

It worked fine this way before I installed Ubuntu on a new drive.  It's a permissions issue.  The logs tell me so; I just don't know how to fix it.

the-dumb1

If I stick my old drive back in, it works fine.  So the problem isn't encryption. 

On 7/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, the-dumb1 said:

Can we please look at an example? Thanks.

the-dumb1
On 7/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, Luke said:

Can we please look at an example? Thanks.

No, because it's not material I can post without you banning me.

The only reason why the library showed up is because I copied over the configuration from my other hard drive using the steps provided in this thread.

What should the privileges be of the media folder?  Owner/group.  775 red:red is what is now.  And emby is in the red group.

What should the privileges be of /var/lib/emby be?  Owner/group.

the-dumb1
4 hours ago, the-dumb1 said:

No, because it's not material I can post without you banning me.

The only reason why the library showed up is because I copied over the configuration from my other hard drive using the steps provided in this thread.

What should the privileges be of the media folder?  Owner/group.  775 red:red is what is now.  And emby is in the red group.

What should the privileges be of /var/lib/emby be?  Owner/group.

If you Google, you'll find that a lot of people are having problems with Linux permissions.  I found one resource that fixed my issue WITHOUT undoing my encryption.  Horrible recommendation that had absolutely nothing to do with the problem.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29236-linux-permissions-for-emby/

sfatula

Would this pinned post not have done the trick? Curious if it is complete.