Genre posters auto-deleting

tuvx

Over the last month, my custom genre posters have been deleted. I have gone back and reverted them by "uploading" the custom pictures, but within a week or so they revert back to the "tiled" movie poster.

• Like 1

seanbuff

Hi, it's a known issue with the current beta and has been reported a few times.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85196-library-main-dynamic-image-never-updates/&do=findComment&comment=885153

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/88023-where-have-all-the-genres-gone/

Hopefully the devs can get it sorted sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
moviefan

This isn't just impacting beta anymore.  Happening in stable now as well.  Any update on a fix?

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, moviefan said:

This isn't just impacting beta anymore.  Happening in stable now as well.  Any update on a fix?

Only the database hack shown here.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85196-library-main-dynamic-image-never-updates/&do=findComment&comment=889748

moviefan

Sigh.  We need to hack the database to get the program to work?  

What version can I downgrade back to not be impacted by this?

Happy2Play

It works, just not the way you want it, as customization of these images were taken away, to give dynamic images per genre instead of static images.

That is why old databases still work and new ones don't do to this change.  So all we can do in a new database is hack it to be like old.

moviefan

But, customization of these images wasn't "taken away."  They can still be customized, via the WebUI - the way that @Luke and all of the other admins have been pushing us to use for picture customization of everything for the last few years.  And then Emby overwrites them.  To me, this is not working correctly.

The auto generated images don't look that nice - and especially when viewed from ten feet away on a TV screen all just look the same and are hard to tell apart.  This is a really poor decision is this was intentionally thought through by Luke.

Within that thread Luke seems to be surprised that this is impacting images which were customized via the Web so perhaps that wasn't intentional?

Lastly, I don't understand how to "hack the database."  How do I give the database a path for those images?

seanbuff
38 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That is why old databases still work and new ones don't do to this change

Mine is definitely an old database, and does not work.

I find it surprising that this defect has made its way to Stable, not acceptable imho.

Happy2Play

Basically Emby has killed all the custom images via metadata folder and none of them work any more.  (People, Genre, Studios, Views, Year, MPAA Rating)  Some have different methods now.

Edited by Happy2Play

moviefan
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Basically Emby has killed all the custom images via metadata folder and none of them work any more.  (People, Genre, Studios, Views, Year, MPAA Rating)  Some have different methods now.

But I am not trying to use the metadata folder.  I am customizing them via the WebUI.  And then Emby is overwriting them.  This should be easy to stop.

The one thing that Emby has always been better at than Plex, etc is its customization.  Please don't start taking these aspects away.

Can someone tell me which version this was changed in so I can downgrade back to the previous one?

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, moviefan said:

But I am not trying to use the metadata folder.  I am customizing them via the WebUI.  And then Emby is overwriting them.  This should be easy to stop.

The one thing that Emby has always been better at than Plex, etc is its customization.  Please don't start taking these aspects away.

Can someone tell me which version this was changed in so I can downgrade back to the previous one?

Yes Emby would have to go back to using a dedicated folder to maintain these specific images to know not to change them.  The dynamic image process will only then know not to change them.

Downgrading would more then likely break all clients except the web client as this change was over a year ago.

moviefan
5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Downgrading would more then likely break all clients except the web client as this change was over a year ago.

Maybe in beta this change was made a year ago?

This only started happening over the past month or so for me.  And I have not been using a. dedicated folder for quite some time.

@Luke can you please explain the rationale here?  You have decided that your users can't customize images like these anymore?  Why?

moviefan
2 hours ago, Luke said:

It wasn't intentional, sorry.

Thanks for confirming.

So, is it something you plan to address in a future version?

Does the removal of about 30% of my actor images have anything to do with this issue?

Edited by tuvx

seanbuff

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
seanbuff

@Luke can you bump this up on the priority list please? Displaying the ugly Genre page just brings down the overall aesthetic look of an otherwise well presented UI.