Media missing within Emby?

johnsonb

johnsonb

I am running Emby 4.4.3.0 under Mint. Everything, literally everything, was great until yesterday. We had three power outages in a row (over 10 minutes). My 3 PC little UPS failed and the Emby PC went up and down three times. After it was backup and running again, I went to watch a movie and Emby showed only 1 movie and zero collections. This is even at the console. I restarted the server with no change. The PC is working fine.

I had it all looking so good. All the correct box covers, descriptions and collections. It was finally all cleaned up - then this happened.

Does anyone know what happened? Or even how to fix it? If it's a matter of starting over, my enthusiasm is just not there.

thanks

Hi there, did you try running a library scan? Is your media back up and available?

johnsonb

Hi. The media drive (external HD) is up and running fine. If I run a  library scan it runs for maybe 5 seconds. I do not remember if normally a job shows up in Dashboard, however no job is appearing now.  If I go to folders and try to play a movie it lists all the movies I have however it cannot find them to play.

I pointed the library to another folder within my files. My media folder is /media/bj/System F/Media I and  I pointed it to /media/bj/System F/Media I/007 It sees all the movie names (no artwork), just not the movies. I tried that a 2nd time and it failed.

Outside Emby I can play all the media files successfully. So a permission thing within Emby?

thanks

Edited by johnsonb
clarity

mark-in-dallas
1 hour ago, johnsonb said:

Outside Emby I can play all the media files successfully. So a permission thing within Emby?

That's what it sounds like to me.  If you su to the emby user in the terminal are you able to navigate to the media folder and see the movie files? 

johnsonb

Recently I struggled with permissions and with alot of help I got that resolved. I do not remember how to su as the emby user. However....using  the Users and Groups utility the only account is me, no emby user.  I am unable to add the account emby. On the backend it says the user emby already exists.

Weird or just me?

Edited by johnsonb
clarity

mark-in-dallas

Yeah, I don't know why but you'll not see the emby user under Users and Groups, but if you look at ownership and group permissions for any file or folder it does show there.

I was wrong about using su to change users, because to use su you need the password.  To change to the emby user in the terminal type this instead:  sudo -u emby bash, then try to navigate to the media folder to see if you can see it and the files within it.  You could also open Nemo, Nautilus, or whatever file explorer you are using and check the media folder ownership and group permissions there.  I don't know about Nautilus, but if you're using Nemo you can also right click within it and Open as Root

Edited by mark-in-dallas

johnsonb

Hi to all who were helping me. I had the idea to cycle the usb drive. I powered off the PC, turned the usb drive off and started everything up again and plugged the dive back in. It all works now. This can be marked solved.

thanks guys

johnsonb
On 7/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback.

You are welcome. Everything needs a period.