Emby Premier popup needs to go.

BajungaDustin

BajungaDustin

I literally just started using this software yesterday and already have had 3 popups asking me to buy emby premier. I have been a plex pass user for about 4 years and am fully aware that there is a premium version and after I have thoroughly assessed the program and its limitations compared to plex i will decide on purchasing Emby Premium instead of my plex pass at that time. I also understand that premium subs help pay for development. 

HOWEVER. 

spamming me with popups that make me wait feels like begging and its annoying as hell. The pop ups alone are enough of a reason fro me to never purchase premium. 

Tons of apps are successful without in your face popups like this. This could be make or break for me switching from plex to emby. 

Gilgamesh_48

I am sure the developers will want to know exactly where you are seeing the popups. I have been using  Emby for years with a premiere license and I have never seen even one popup. 

I know that does not help but it does show that there is a need to know exactly where the popup you see shows up.

Spaceboy

He doesn’t have premiere. He’s complaining about the valid pop up telling him to buy it.

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

He doesn’t have premiere. He’s complaining about the valid pop up telling him to buy it.

I can think of a way to make that disappear...

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

I see that now BUT it does not change the fact that the developers or others need to know where he is seeing the popup. It "sounds" like it is a little too often but without knowing where and why it is happening no one can tell if it is as planned.

BajungaDustin
17 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I see that now BUT it does not change the fact that the developers or others need to know where he is seeing the popup. It "sounds" like it is a little too often but without knowing where and why it is happening no one can tell if it is as planned.

It popped up a couple times right when I connected to the server and it just now popped up in between two episodes of a show. It literally stopped the show from moving to the next episode until I clicked "continue" where the other option was to "get emby premier" or whatever its called. 

This is a massive fail and I'm literally about to uninstall the server because of it. Each time it pops up just brings me closer and closer to getting rid of the entire thing. 

It doesn't even show me what the features are the lost is cut off at the top of the scree  with no way to scroll up and look at it. 

Just from a brand new user trying to experience the app and see if I even like it I'm being hit with these pop ups to buy premium on minute 1 of using the service. And it continues to remind me even while watching shows. It seems like the developers are desperate and shoving this down my throat. Of the program is good then it should speak for itself. And in that case I would get the premium version. I've been using the plex pass for 4 years and if I'm honest I don't even know what that's giving me in terms of features. I was just supporting the app until they started putting limits on how long I can watch TV before it shuts off bllile Netflix asking me if I'm still watching. I am thinking about migrating to emby because it has this as an option. But if it's going to be all desperate for my money and shove these ad pop-ups down my throat then that's not likely to happen. 

Edited by BajungaDustin

Gilgamesh_48
34 minutes ago, BajungaDustin said:

It popped up a couple times right when I connected to the server and it just now popped up in between two episodes of a show. It literally stopped the show from moving to the next episode until I clicked "continue" where the other option was to "get emby premier" or whatever its called. 

This is a massive fail and I'm literally about to uninstall the server because of it. Each time it pops up just brings me closer and closer to getting rid of the entire thing. 

It doesn't even show me what the features are the lost is cut off at the top of the scree  with no way to scroll up and look at it. 

Just from a brand new user trying to experience the app and see if I even like it I'm being hit with these pop ups to buy premium on minute 1 of using the service. And it continues to remind me even while watching shows. It seems like the developers are desperate and shoving this down my throat. Of the program is good then it should speak for itself. And in that case I would get the premium version. I've been using the plex pass for 4 years and if I'm honest I don't even know what that's giving me in terms of features. I was just supporting the app until they started putting limits on how long I can watch TV before it shuts off bllile Netflix asking me if I'm still watching. I am thinking about migrating to emby because it has this as an option. But if it's going to be all desperate for my money and shove these ad pop-ups down my throat then that's not likely to happen. 

I know this will not directly address your issues about the popup and you very well might have a point as far as it being intrusive but I, as a former Plex user and a current Emby user with lifetime premier licenses on both platforms,  I can very comfortably say that Emby, for the purpose of watching owned content, is vastly superior and well worth the low price of a premier license.

I suggest that, if the popup is so irritating to you you spend the very low monthly fee for a month or two to see if it is to your liking and then, if it is, upgrade to yearly or lifetime. If it is not then just stop the premier renewal and let the license lapse. It really is a small price to pay to have an uninterrupted viewing experience to evaluate Emby. 

You may be very correct in your assessment about the nag message but you can also be assured that Emby is not going to change their policies based on the complaints of one potential paid user.

Emby has its warts but they are different and less intrusive than the ones Plex has. The big advantage of Emby is in its responsiveness to user problems. They almost always answer questions or fix reported bugs about as fast as it can possibly happen, The actual developers respond to most issues and they do listel to their users but, just like the Christian God, they here and answer all prayers but sometimes the answer is "no."

Again I recommend you try Emby with premier for a few months and the either drop it or go lifetime premier. It is a small cost to be absolutely sure.

One more thing: It "sounds" like you are watching using the same machine you are running the server on I recommend that you use a client box instead. Emby is really designed as a client server media solution and it seems to really work smoother that way. The clients I have tested and use are: Roku (Ultra and 3). Fire 4K stick, Fire TV, Shield TV and, of course, a free standing computer running as a HTPC. I use Roku Ultras almost all the time because of their ease of use and stability.

You can take my advice or not. It is offered just as an idea to move forward in watching your media.

• Like 1

nadforever

I can say that i am a Premiere user and i still on occasion get the popup on my client devices in my home. if and when it happens is onyl when i first open the emby client.  if there is a way to get this to finally get disabled that be great!

That likely happens because the client hasn't connected to a server yet to know it's "registered".

You should not get a popup once connected to a server.

• 6 months later...