Multi User Frustration!

yakuzah

yakuzah

Hi there,

I am an Emby Premiere Subscriber.

I appear to be having major difficulty enabling a feature to allow Emby Connect users who live in the same home to easily switch between profiles using a PIN when viewing on the living room TV.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160269

I have followed the guide above, but the only user who has the option for a PIN under the user account and password option in myself(the Admin).

All other users just get the option to change their password.

So If I run the Emby Client on my Nvidia Shield on my living room TV, each user has to login with their username and full password! Which is a huge pain in the ass!

I used Emby a couple of years ago and this option was available under each user, making user switching very easy. This option appears to be absent and unavailable on my installation?

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please?

I am running Emby on my Synology NAS 1019+.

Emby version - .Emby Web 4.4.3.2

thanks!

3 minutes ago, yakuzah said:

I have followed the guide above, but the only user who has the option for a PIN under the user account and password option in myself(the Admin).

All other users just get the option to change their password.

This sounds like maybe those users don't have passwords set.  If there is no local password, you cannot set the local PIN.  Give those users a local password and that option should show.

This is completely separate from Emby Connect and you won't want to use Connect in this instance.

• Like 1

yakuzah

Great information, thanks for coming back so quickly. Stupid question :D how do I turn users to local please?

thanks

G

Hi.  They already are local.  Just provide a password for them in that screen you showed, save and then you'll have the option to set a PIN.

• Like 1

Sometimes things are so obvious you look right past them. :)

rbjtech

I do not think it is that obvious to be honest ..

Why not add a line of text along the lines of -

'To use and set a PIN, the user must first have a local password set'

.. then it is obvious... 🤔

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

I'm meant the solution, not the cause. :)

That's a very good comment you just made. Until a password is entered you do not even see where to create a PIN code or set it's use.

Maybe we need a line that says something like:

"A Password must be setup before local access or PIN CODES can be set for this user" or like you said "'To use and set a PIN, the user must first have a local password set'"

something like that on that screen to indicate there will be more options available after setting the password.

@Luke Is this something we can add to that screen?

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

I think seeing the set PIN part of the page but having it be disabled (greyed out) along with a note that you must set a password would be the best option.

• Like 2