Remote Access help

Prydwyn

Prydwyn

I've done a search on the forums, and can't find exactly what I am looking for so I am hoping someone can help...

I've been able to remote access my Emby server via mobile and tablet for well over a year. Nothing has changed in my server configuration (which is the default settings - I've never changed them, apart from adding the tick to 'Allow Remote Connections') . However, on Tuesday I received my nice new shine BT Smart Hub 2 router as part of a new broadband deal. Now I can no longer access Emby remotely (when not on my home network). At home, it is fine. Both tablet and phone connect and play with no options. When I am not on my network and launch Emby however, I end up with a 'Select Server/Add Server/Sign in with Emby Connect' screen. My server is shown, but I get a failed to connect error. The same if I try to sign in with Emby connect.

I am guessing that I need to change a setting in my Router config, or adjust the default Emby Port settings. But if anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate it if you could post what changes I need to make!

Many thanks,

John

You need to login to your router, go to the port forwarding and setup one port forwarding rule.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

If you're having trouble figuring this out install TeamViewer on your computer.

Make sure you can login to your firewall in a browser.  Start TeamViewer and PM me your Teamviewer account number and one time use password.  I can help you set this up in 2 to 3 minutes especially if you are already logged into your router. :)

• Thanks 1

Prydwyn

Hi Cayars,

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the port forwarding in my router, and Emby Server was listed twice - once with port 8096, and a second time with 8920. However, it was mapped to an 'Unknown Device' suggesting that the router didn't pick up the settings from my PC (which runs the server) automatically, despite the UPnP. I manually added the server again, this time inputting the correct IP address for my PC. I turned off the Wifi on my phone, and then launched Emby - it connected straight away.

I'll try it again tomorrow when I am actually out of home, but thanks for your suggestions - it would have taken me much longer to (potentially) find the problem without your suggestions. 

I guess we are all getting lazy with technology nowadays - we just plug in, switch on, and expect everything to work! 🙂

If I still have a problem after testing away from home, I'll post again - but in the meantime, thanks again.

John

Edited by Prydwyn
spelling

Glad you got it worked out.

You can do a test with your cell phone using it's mobile data vs wifi (turn off).  Try and connect to your server and that will be an internet connect.  Even if you don't have the client just try it in the browser.

Or just PM your URL and I'll see if I can access it.  No need to login, but just to see if it's passed through the router and gets the login page.