Issues with playback on Live TV channels with Fire TV app

NeilD7744

NeilD7744

Im not sure whats going on here...

Im running the latest Emby server (beta on Windows) & latest available Emby App from Amazon Fire TV App store.

I configure Emby with HDHR for my live TV channels. I've had this setup for a while, everything has worked well. Recently ive started to experience problems. This evening i tried to watch a few live TV channels via my Fire TV box & channels wouldn't load (they just showed the buffering / loading indicator). Other channels seem to be loading insanely quick (the ones that do work). Has there been some update? I've checked this issue out on 3 separate Fire TV boxes - All with the same issue. I've also reset my lounge Amazon Fire box & re-loaded the Emby app - Still the same issues.

I looked into HDHR being the issue - It isn't - All channels load & play fine.

All channels also load & play correctly on the Emby web interface, on my Android phone and tablet. If i start to "use an external player" (MX player) with Emby on Fire TV, channel changes are slower but i can now watch any of my listed TV channels without issue. 

Like i said about, my setup has remained fairly untouched, so unsure what is happening here?

Edited by NeilD7744

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks !

NeilD7744

Thanks for the reply. 

On my Windows PC (running Emby server... ive just tried to watch UK TV channel ITVBe which fails to load on Amazon Fire TV, but works ok on other platforms. These are some logs. Please see attached.

hardware_detection-63729982757.txt hardware_detection-63729982745.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by NeilD7744

NeilD7744

Ive uploaded a video to YouTube to try and show whats happening. The first attempt is to play the TV channel without "use external player option", then second attempt is with MX player.

Hi.  Try turning off that first option in your Live TV settings "Direct Stream Live TV".

NeilD7744

OK... So turning off direct stream does seek to work, however takes me back to my original issue that turning off direct stream causes seriously slow channel changes. 

I'm not sure whether this helps... I'm using 2nd gen fire TV boxes. They both experience the same issue. My partner has a much newer fire TV stick. I just tried playing live TV on her newer TV stick and they seem to load up OK, even with the option selected to direct stream TV. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking into improving it so that ideally you can just leave that on.

NeilD7744

Thanks.

Im not sure why it has stopped working. Like i said in my earlier post, i never used to have any issues leaving 'direct stream' option enabled. 

I wasn't sure whether this was / is an issue not with Emby, but with my setup. Ive reset everything, fresh install of Windows, updated everything to the latest Emby server and Fire TV apps etc. The problem still remains. I have tried the HDHR on Channels DVR - No issues and also Windows media Center - No issues. All channels load & play without issue. Strange.

Getting the Emby player to load channels quicker will be awesome.