Nvidia Shield use with no internet?

NeilGriffin

NeilGriffin

Hello,  I am using Emby on an Nvidia Shield (server and client) with my media on an external hard drive attached via usb.  I setup the libraries when I had access to internet and downloaded all the meta data and art, everything working great.  I was hoping to use it as an offline media server at a remote cabin with no internet or cell phone access occasionally. 

I saw this forum thread and bought the "unlock" they mention I believe (can't seem to find confirmation in the app that it was purchased but I was charged $5) but there isn't much information after that point.  I have not purchased the Premiere subscription as I mostly just plan to use directly on the device.

Now I didn't test this before I left so was a bit disappointed when it didn't work when I got there but I figured I'd inquire about more information.  Let's start by confirming it is possible for Emby client to access Emby server without internet?  Do I still need to have a wifi network or can it just access it since the server is running on the same device as the client and the network couldn't connect to the internet anyway?   

Any suggestions/tips to get this working would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi, yes you can use it without an internet connection but it will need a network connection of some kind. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

NeilGriffin

Thanks, I thought that might be the issue.  It isn't ideal to take a router just so the client can talk to the server on the same device but I can probably track down an old router to leave there.  I will test before I go next time.  

It should work if you attach to a network.  The entire system (both server and client) is designed to operate using network protocols and I'm afraid Android (in their infinite wisdom) doesn't make those available if there is no network.