Add favorite channels to the favorite tab on ALL platforms

MBSki

MBSki

Can you add favorite channels to the favorite tab on ALL platforms? Right now I see favorite channels on Android TV, but not on any other platforms. I mainly use Android Mobile, so that would personally be my highest priority platform to add them to.

• Like 3

This would be a nice way to quickly access favorite TV stations you watch a lot such as CNN, Fox News, etc..

MBSki

I was thinking of it for music channels too. For those that still have cable and don't have a SiriusXM subscription, it's actually a nice way to stream music. With Verizon Fios I have about 20 music channels that I can play and having these show up in the favorite tab would make them easier to access.

I forgot about them as I turned off all the music channels in the HDHR menus.

MBSki

Great, thanks, Is this particular "parity" item just making its way through all the apps?

• 3 weeks later...
MBSki

@Luke Thanks for adding favorite channels to the Android Mobile beta. One question though. How is the sort of favorites determined? Android Mobile and Android TV are sorting the favorites in a different order. At a bare minimum, set all the platforms to use the same sort. Ideally I'd like to be able to put them in the order I want, but maybe for now just match the sort used on the Home page for the different libraries? 

Are you sure it's not different settings on the clients?  For example putting most recently used at the top.

MBSki
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are you sure it's not different settings on the clients?  For example putting most recently used at the top.

I'm not aware of any setting that would put most recently used at the top on either Android mobile or Android TV. Where would that be?

6 hours ago, mbarylski said:

I'm not aware of any setting that would put most recently used at the top on either Android mobile or Android TV. Where would that be?

By sorting your guide by last played.

MBSki
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

By sorting your guide by last played.

I've got the Live TV Guide sorted by channel number on both Android TV and Mobile, yet channels is at the top of the list in Favorites on mobile, but at the bottom on Android TV. Besides, why would a Live TV Guide sort have any impact on how the different media types are sorted? I'm not talking about the sorting of the actual channels. I'm talking about the sort of the media types.

So, in favorites, on Android TV, this is the order: Movies, Trailers, Shows, Videos, Photos, Channels, Artists, Albums, Songs, Playlists.

On Android Mobile this is the order: Channels, Shows, Movies, Videos, Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs.

Why are they sorting differently?

54 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I've got the Live TV Guide sorted by channel number on both Android TV and Mobile, yet channels is at the top of the list in Favorites on mobile, but at the bottom on Android TV. Besides, why would a Live TV Guide sort have any impact on how the different media types are sorted? I'm not talking about the sorting of the actual channels. I'm talking about the sort of the media types.

So, in favorites, on Android TV, this is the order: Movies, Trailers, Shows, Videos, Photos, Channels, Artists, Albums, Songs, Playlists.

On Android Mobile this is the order: Channels, Shows, Movies, Videos, Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs.

Okay, when you said "sort" I assumed you were talking about the particular channels in the row but you are talking about the order of the rows.  There are no sort options for this so I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks.

MBSki

@ebr No problem. I figured I didn't explain it well. So there are no sort options for the user, but are you looking into what's happening behind the scenes in mobile and TV?

3 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Any chance you could manage to get a picture or screen capture showing these differences?  I know it's hard but maybe use a 2nd phone to take pics, if you don't know how to do device screen captures.

MBSki
8 hours ago, cayars said:

Any chance you could manage to get a picture or screen capture showing these differences?  I know it's hard but maybe use a 2nd phone to take pics, if you don't know how to do device screen captures.

Yea, I know how to take screen captures. But they don't tell you much. Like I said, on Mobile, channels are at the top, and on TV, channels are closer to the bottom. Don't you see the same thing on your Android phone?

Top of Android Mobile

Screenshot_20200805-204609.thumb.png.f8ded0a59331d7f4ef92b582b0037b9a.png

Top of Android TV

image.thumb.png.54f4cd453bff21e00eae48caa016ebb9.png

IMO I would think most of our audience is more interested in their library content than channels but I'll get with Luke on this and figure out a common order.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

IMO I would think most of our audience is more interested in their library content than channels but I'll get with Luke on this and figure out a common order.

Thanks.

Like home screen, let the user configure the order but have a standard that is used as the default. :)

MBSki
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Thanks.

Agreed, as a first step, but ideally user configurable as me and @cayars are suggesting would be better.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, ebr said:

Thanks.

@ebr I got the new server update with the favorite channels which is nice, but they're still at the top. Shouldn't they be at the bottom? 

Just now, mbarylski said:

@ebr and @Luke The different platforms are sorting the channels differently. Can you please move the channels closer to the bottom on ALL platforms?

It's on our list for review. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, but I just don't understand why you release something new rather than figuring it out before release. Why not make sure it matches before you release?