Strange Issue with resume playback

Shidapu

Shidapu

Heya, I have been having some strange issues with playback since a year or 2 now, I've since then reinstalled Emby 2 times in total. But the issue has always been the same via web or locally.

• When someone or myself are streaming content, pauses the video, and then resumes the video at any time thereafter, the video playback stops 10-30 seconds after playback, i thought it had to do with the stream cache at first, but then more issues arises, sometimes the video stops playing at all, and nothing happens until i restart the stream (Common problem).
  • Sometimes i get artifacts on the screen, a big mess of colors (can still see subtitles perfectly), this requires a restart of the stream (Doesn't happen so often).
  • When limiting total streams at 1 per user account, sometimes when someone tries to play something else, or switches to the next episode, they get the message that they exceeded the total number of streams allowed, I've since increased the total streams per account to 2, but defeats the purpose.

I haven't reported on the issue before, because i thought you guys knew about this issue, as it can't just be me..

RIG and setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
GTX 1080 with driver patch for more streams.
Nvme drive that Emby runs on, 8 mechanical drives with really good transfer speeds.
Nginx setup for domain and emby subdomain.
500/500Mbit Fiber broadband, 1-2ms to the closest city, another 1-2ms to the vpn server in that same city, cloudflare around 30-190ms delay on subdomain.
EBeV5mm.png

If you need logs, i'll provide, please specify what logs you need.

Edited by Shidapu

Is this happening inside your lan or from the Internet?

Have you tried without the VPNBox or NGINX inline?

• Like 1

Shidapu
49 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is this happening inside your lan or from the Internet?

Have you tried without the VPNBox or NGINX inline?

The VPNbox are a Vilfo box. I rather not use Emby without VPN. This is happening both locally and on Internet.

I had these issues before using Nginx aswell, and the Nginx server is very good setup, for both security and performance, it also allows me to use port 443 for the subdomain without redirecting to another port, and it also allows me to use the Emby server in locations that would normally block all ports but 80 and 443.

Cloudflare doesn't cache anything but pictures. 

EBeV5mm.png

Edited by Shidapu

What you really need to do is try without them to isolate where the source of the problem is.

This should be easy to do as you turn off VPN and just forward from the router to Emby (ports adjusted).  Not saying this is the cause but when I've seen similar type issues it's from "caching" not tuned properly. Also going through QOS or Adaptive QOS can cause havoc as well.

Not sure why you think Cloudflare only supports pictures as that is not true at all.  It can support caching a lot of different options and has very good control.  However with that said since Emby is dynamic the value of caching other than pictures is greatly reduced.  Just caching pics speeds things up greatly.

While on LAN you should be able to talk to the server directly without these other functions getting in the way which at least allows some testing.

Shidapu
16 hours ago, cayars said:

What you really need to do is try without them to isolate where the source of the problem is.

This should be easy to do as you turn off VPN and just forward from the router to Emby (ports adjusted).  Not saying this is the cause but when I've seen similar type issues it's from "caching" not tuned properly. Also going through QOS or Adaptive QOS can cause havoc as well.

Not sure why you think Cloudflare only supports pictures as that is not true at all.  It can support caching a lot of different options and has very good control.  However with that said since Emby is dynamic the value of caching other than pictures is greatly reduced.  Just caching pics speeds things up greatly.

While on LAN you should be able to talk to the server directly without these other functions getting in the way which at least allows some testing.

I'm only caching pictures with these 2 page rules.
Cloudflare cache rules are set to respect headers.

ATl0Bqu.png

I guess i could try what you suggest, and see if the issues persist with the VPN. But im monitoring ping times and website access in realtime everyday though. My VPN provider is OVPN.com
QoS is disabled in the router, and router is set to access point mode (No DHCP).

Compression is enabled on the VPN though, might that affect the streams in some way?
Only allowing ipv4.

The accounts in mention are only allowed on LAN, has been setup on the clients, and works only on LAN. But the freezing picture issue happens less on LAN, but do still happen, and gets sorted quicker after resuming playback, it's rather a small hiccup if compared to Internet resume playback.

Looks like a solid setup and nothing jumps out at me.  That's sort of my I thought to strip it down to basics of just the Emby server to see if the problem is still there or not.

If the problem goes away then add things back until you discover what layer causes the problem again.

• 2 weeks later...