No sound certain shows NVidia Shield

jriker1

jriker1
34 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I do believe Emby is working correctly

I'll play around with my audio a bit on my receiver but wouldn't working correctly be that it isn't transcoding it at all?  Can't speak for the limitations of the Exoplayer.  Would think with VLC it's not trancoding at all no?  Didn't even think VLC did transcoding as a player.  Thought it just had every codec and the kitchen sink.

Just now, jriker1 said:

but wouldn't working correctly be that it isn't transcoding it at all

No, Emby as a system is designed to play all of your content on all of your devices regardless of whether those devices directly support that content.  So the system (including the server) can convert your items "on the fly" so that it will play.  That is what the system is doing now.

Transcoding is not "bad" - it is actually a huge feature of the Emby ecosystem.

Having said that, if you have server constraints that cause problems (which it doesn't seem that you do) then you can provide your media in a format that is widely compatible with a lot of devices to minimize the necessity of conversion.

FrostByte

BTW: I can duplicate this using the following settings

Which is why I asked if your transcoding options were all set earlier

Untitled.jpg.5e643be6039cc1d3b1aacfd0e759696e.jpg

• Like 1

jriker1

Can you clarify I can duplicate this?  Are you talking no sound?  For the above, is that set per client?  I see this in the windows client under the user settings but not on the Shield.  Should I have it as you have above or all boxes checked?  If I go to the user settings for my login I see:

image.png.c5cc60b7245c0c7a6f5708492719f2f9.png

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

Also tweaked some settings on my receiver, which I'm not convinced is related, and sound is working now.  I'm still not happy it's transcoding as I think some of us feel the Shield can play this content natively and as FrostByte mentioned the picture isn't the greatest after transcoding.  One other item I noted with the shield.  Not sure if it's these videos but when I go back to the list of movies, in this case the three Rush Hour movies, and try to click on one of them nothing happens.  Then suddenly the screen goes blank and I can't get back in.  Then eventually it will try reload and will do so but after excessive spinning.  Not sure if this is related, but there are hundreds of the same entries in the embyserver.txt log milliseconds apart and other various errors about bad formatting and  Void MoveNext():

I attached my log.

Also my app is version 1.8.10g is that the latest?  Not sure how I pull it up but sometimes it shows the version of the server on the bottom left and the version of the client on the bottom right and the bottom right says Retired or something like that after the version number which I thought was odd.

embyserver.txt

Edited by jriker1

10 hours ago, jriker1 said:

Also tweaked some settings on my receiver, which I'm not convinced is related, and sound is working now.

That's great news and does sound related.

I'm still not happy it's transcoding as I think some of us feel the Shield can play this content natively

You are taking a video format designed over a decade ago for Windows Media Center and feeding it to a modern streaming device.  Google (developers of Android and the player we use) simply have not accounted for this.

and try to click on one of them nothing happens.  Then suddenly the screen goes blank and I can't get back in.  Then eventually it will try reload and will do so but after excessive spinning. 

Right at that point (after getting back in the app) can you please send a log from the app?

Not sure how I pull it up but sometimes it shows the version of the server on the bottom left and the version of the client on the bottom right and the bottom right says Retired or something like that

That is on the app settings page and what it says is "Registered" which means you either have Premiere or have unlocked the app.

jriker1
On 7/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, ebr said:

hat is on the app settings page and what it says is "Registered" which means you either have Premiere or have unlocked the app.

Just found where it is again.  Says Expired.  When you are on the main page of Emby and you click on the gear on the top right the bottom of that page shows the version of the server on the bottom left and the version of the app on the bottom right.  Version installed is just from the Google Play store.

1 hour ago, jriker1 said:

Just found where it is again.  Says Expired. 

If it says "Expired" then playback should not be working at all...

Do you block domains or do any filtering on your router?

Specifically mb3admin.com.

If so unblock that domain.

jriker1

Nope I have not setup any restrictions.  I assume you are talking outbound communication.  If so nothing outbound gets blocked.  Obviously everything inbound is restricted due to NAT.  In a browser I paste in mb3admin.com and it redirects to emby.media

I just added "jriker1" to a test account on my system with one test library visible.

Try logging in using Emby Connect and let us know if it still shows as Expired after connecting to my server.

jriker1
On 7/14/2020 at 9:19 AM, ebr said:

What happens when you play something?

It plays movies and recorded tv shows.