No sound certain shows NVidia Shield

jriker1

jriker1

I have been using Emby forever before it was Emby on XBox 360 devices.  Obviously going out. :)  

All my content up until I purchased my Shield was created with WMV/WMA.  Audio is generally WMA Pro 5.1 640 kb/s 48.0 kHZ 24 bit.

Not sure this was always the case but I was able to play stereo WMA content but not 5.1.  The video would play but the audio would not. I thought the shield could play this content natively and did but doesn't seem to be the case right now.  Attached ffmpeg logs.

Note server is Windows 2016 with 4.4.0.3.

Thanks.

JR

ffmpeg-transcode-637f14da-59f6-49ee-ba8d-ef33001cfac6_1.txt

FrostByte

The Shield supports WMA/WMV, but Exoplayer which the ATV app uses to play media does not.  I had all my music in WMA also and ATV converts it to 128 bit AAC.  

https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

I was slightly bummed when I released I had 80K songs that transcode to 128 bits, but I'm slowly switching to mp3.  Not sure I will get 100% switched over in my lifetime though

I don't think I have any WMA 5.1 any more to test

Edited by FrostByte

jriker1

Thanks for the reply.  I am considering all my current movies and shows legacy and do not plan to covert them.  The amount of steps and tools I used to encode them so cleanly I would cry to redo like 900+ and that's just the movies not my TV series.   Any idea why it doesn't play audio at all?  Shouldn't the transcoding engine for better or worse deal with that?

Edited by jriker1

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am considering all my current movies and shows legacy and do not plan to covert them.  The amount of steps and tools I used to encode them so cleanly I would cry to redo like 900+ and that's just the movies not my TV series.   Any idea why it doesn't play audio at all?  Shouldn't the transcoding engine for better or worse deal with that?

Yes, @ebr might have to take a look at why it isn't converting correctly.  Not a whole lot of people have WMV files with WMA 5.1 I'm guessing is why it was never dealt with before 

30 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The Shield supports WMA/WMV, but Exoplayer which the ATV app uses to play media does not

Exo supports what the device does and I don't believe the Shield supports WMA (not sure why it would as it is a legacy Windows format).

However, these should transcode and play fine.  I don't know if anyone has ever tested a WMV/WMA combination but the server is transcoding to h264/DD.  Does your setup support DD?

FrostByte
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Exo supports what the device does and I don't believe the Shield supports WMA (not sure why it would as it is a legacy Windows format).

However, these should transcode and play fine.  I don't know if anyone has ever tested a WMV/WMA combination but the server is transcoding to h264/DD.  Does your setup support DD?

According to the nVidia Shield page it supports WMA, WMA Lossless and WMA Pro, but Exoplayer does not.  There is a ticket open on Exoplayer dev page to add WMA support, but it's at low priority I believe

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

Dolby Audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)
DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through)

• Like 1

FrostByte

WMV support for the Shield , but not in Exoplayer

AI-enhanced upscaling for 720p/1080p to 4K up to 30 FPS
Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)
Up to 4K playback at 60 FPS (VP8, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2)
Up to 1080p playback at 60 FPS (H.263, MJPEG, MPEG4, WMV9/VC1)
Format/Container support: Xvid/ DivX/ASF/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MPEG-TS/MP4/WEB-M

jriker1

Expanding on FrostByte for the audio of the Shield:

Dolby Audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)
DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through)

Edited by jriker1

7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

WMV support for the Shield , but not in Exoplayer

AI-enhanced upscaling for 720p/1080p to 4K up to 30 FPS
Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)
Up to 4K playback at 60 FPS (VP8, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2)
Up to 1080p playback at 60 FPS (H.263, MJPEG, MPEG4, WMV9/VC1)
Format/Container support: Xvid/ DivX/ASF/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MPEG-TS/MP4/WEB-M

That specifically says WMV9 but we are also talking about both containers and codecs and then also combinations of those which may or may not impact the "support" reported in marketing blurbs...

But, in any case, we are transcoding these items on the server so - at the Shield, it should be seeing H264/AC3.

Jriker - if you set the app to downmix to stereo, does it work?  Do items with actual DD audio tracks play properly?

FrostByte
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

That specifically says WMV9 but we are also talking about both containers and codecs and then also combinations of those which may or may not impact the "support" reported in marketing blurbs...

But, in any case, we are transcoding these items on the server so - at the Shield, it should be seeing H264/AC3.

Jriker - if you set the app to downmix to stereo, does it work?  Do items with actual DD audio tracks play properly?

WMA  and WMV are not supported in Exoplayer in any shape or form.  There are open tickets on their dev page for those.

https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

If you can make my music not transcode to AAC 128 bit though I would welcome that

4 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

If you can make my music not transcode to AAC 128 bit though I would welcome that

What happens if you set the app to "Downmix to stereo" and play one of these audio files?

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

What happens if you set the app to "Downmix to stereo" and play one of these audio files?

My WMA files are already 2.0, but I tried setting "downmix to stereo" and it still converts to AAC 2.0 128 bit

Can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks.

FrostByte

Have you tried using VLC as an external player @jriker1 ?  I believe it supports WMV.  I know it supports all formats of WMA on the Shield

If you haven't yet maybe send an in app log to ebr after play some WMV / WMA 5.1  that doesn't have sound

Edited by FrostByte

jriker1

Couple things and thanks for the input:

The app log is that different than the ffmpeg log I sent above?

I will see how to cut a piece of a WMV to send as they are all like 6 - 8GB

With VLC is that to test or as a solution?  Don't think having people open VLC and manually route to a network share and scroll thru and get the file would be very family friendly. :)

Thanks.

JR

I'm sure these items will need to transcode to play properly in Exo (there is just no way Google has addressed these formats) but, again, the transcode to AC3 should be working if your system can support that.  So, these questions are important:

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Luke - we already have an example (first post).

FrostByte
2 hours ago, jriker1 said:

Couple things and thanks for the input:

The app log is that different than the ffmpeg log I sent above?

I will see how to cut a piece of a WMV to send as they are all like 6 - 8GB

With VLC is that to test or as a solution?  Don't think having people open VLC and manually route to a network share and scroll thru and get the file would be very family friendly. :)

Thanks.

JR

VLC was more just as a test just because I was curious to see if it worked and if the Shield could play your WMV (there are several versions of WMV other than just 9).  I know VLC works for playing WMA music on the Shield because I've tested that. 

You're right a permanent solution where the app automatically converted is the solution.  You would need to install VLC and then go into the Emby app in the settings and say to use external player.  Then put it back when done.  That is if you wish to do that, up to you.

The app logs are done by going into the app settings and turning on debug (it's there somewhere).  Then reproduce your no sound issue, then click on your user at the very top of the screen and there should now be a "send logs" option.  If ebr needs them

Edited by FrostByte

15 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

VLC was more just as a test just because I was curious to see if it worked and if the Shield could play your WMV

I imagine VLC could play it because it has ffmpeg inside of it but that isn't a test that "The Shield" can play something as many of these players use ffmpeg to convert things the native device cannot handle (just like we do on the server).

At this point I'm not worried about the WMV/WMA as the system is handling that properly.  I need to find out why the conversion to DD is producing no sound for him.

jriker1

OK I'm getting to this slowly.  Have some family challenges with timely troubleshooting this I won't get into.  Here's a clip from the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87zqq7e1vm5b8mt/out.wmv?dl=0

Tweaking my audio to stereo only and trying with VLC are next but sounds like the VLC test won't prove valuable from what I'm hearing.  Will also enable debug logging if that helps.

JR

FrostByte

I just played your test video on my Shield and got sound.  Looks like it converted audio to AC3 5.1 .  Do you have all your transcoding options turned on at the server?

FrostByte

As a test I also used VLC as an external player and according to VLC audio was being passed through.  Whether or not that proves anything I don't know.  I do know it started instantly where as with Exoplayer it took a second or two while it waited for Emby server to start transcoding audio and video.  Got to believe though that when nVidia says the Shield supports WMA and WMV9 that VLC wouldn't need to transcode this file for that reason.

Oh, I also thought the video looked a whole lot better using VLC as an external player.  It doesn't look transcoded at all

However, I do believe Emby is working correctly (at least for me it is) and transcoding and converting audio to AC3 5.1 using Exoplayer as media player

Video 
ID : 2 
Format : VC-1 
Format profile : Main 
Codec ID : WMV3 
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 9 
Codec ID/Hint : WMV3 
Description of the codec : VC-1 - VC-1 Simple/Main Profile 
Duration : 2 min 2 s 
Bit rate : 5 400 kb/s 
Width : 1 280 pixels 
Height : 528 pixels 
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1 
Frame rate : 23.976 FPS 
Color space : YUV 
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 
Bit depth : 8 bits 
Scan type : Progressive 
Compression mode : Lossy 
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.333 
Stream size : 78.9 MiB 
Language : English (United States) 
Duration_Source : General_Duration 
Audio 
ID : 1 
Format : WMA 
Format profile : Pro 
Codec ID : 162 
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio 
Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 10 Professional - 640 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass CBR 
Duration : 2 min 2 s 
Bit rate mode : Constant 
Bit rate : 640 kb/s 
Channel(s) : 6 channels 
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz 
Bit depth : 24 bits 
Stream size : 9.35 MiB (12%) 
Language : English (United States) 
Duration_Source : General_Duration 

FrostByte
1 hour ago, jriker1 said:

Tweaking my audio to stereo only and trying with VLC are next but sounds like the VLC test won't prove valuable from what I'm hearing.  Will also enable debug logging if that helps.

JR

You may change your mind after looking at the video using VLC vs Exoplayer

What about other content that has actual DD tracks?  Do you have any of those?  That is the key here...