Folder View Issues

Chytharo

Chytharo

Coming back after 1 1/2 years, is there a proper folder view option already?

I know about the old way of creating a library as home media type and then choosing folder sort/list view, but it seems like that's not working anymore.

It always forces some random series that has nothing to do with the media content onto the last folder that's holding the video files and showing the series view, which is really annoying as like this it doesn't show all media files in the folder - only what the scanner thinks is part of the random series it pulled.

I don't want all that automatization and forcing series metadata onto the folders, I just want to stream media from my folders.

What should I do?

Chytharo
7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Keep nagging!

Paul

I'm not nagging, I'm asking for help or ideas with an issue I have.

If you don't have anything to contribute, please stop posting spam like that.

pwhodges

There is still not a pure folder view - if it matters to you, then create or vote for a feature request to increase its visibility to the developers.

Meanwhile, if you have files only in subfolders, that works best; if you have subfolders of a folder which contains files as well, this is when the present system screws things up, in my experience.

Paul

Chytharo
8 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Meanwhile, if you have files only in subfolders, that works best; if you have subfolders of a folder which contains files as well, this is when the present system screws things up, in my experience.

I'm using emby mainly because of its powerful encoding capabilities, like it properly renders anime subtitles or weird fansub encodes where many other similar programs fail. 

So, I created a folder "watching with friend" which I set as a home media type library. Inside of it there are currently just 3 folders, each with a few eps of series me and my friend are currently watching. In the past it usually worked like this and some of the older libraries I made with that structure and settings from 1 and a half years ago are still behaving like this. Yet for any new attempt to set up a library like this, emby now also looks up those folder names and creates a series-like view for them, like for example a folder got renamed and it added metadata of some random mexican short series, which lead to only 1 out of 10 episodes in that folder being available.

If it behaves like that, what is even the difference between a "mixed media" library and "home media" one?

pwhodges

Why wouldn't just setting up a TV series library and letting Emby format it for you not work for you?  You mention anime as if it's a problem; I find that anime is handled just fine, so long as the files are named according to the recommendations (or you're prepared to use the manual "Identify" function).  Even if you have only odd episodes from different series, they'd be labelled appropriately and you could navigate to them in obvious ways.

Paul

Chytharo

I found out what the issue is by myself. I had another library left using the same directory and set as a series library from a long time ago.

Apperantly you can't make a new library of the same directory with a different library type - It will always just use the settings and metadata of the first library for that directory regardless of the chosen library type. This may be a bug.

Not a bug as Emby doesn't allow the same media to be part of more than one library.

There is nothing in the software to stop you from adding things that could overlap so it's important to layout your disc by type.  For example

d:\movies

d:\tv shows

d:\music

This knowledge base article covers media setup pretty well: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159319-library-setup

Chytharo
54 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not a bug as Emby doesn't allow the same media to be part of more than one library.

There is nothing in the software to stop you from adding things that could overlap so it's important to layout your disc by type.

Isn't that kinda the definition of a bug?
"A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result"

Which it does if you create libraries containing the same files.

If the same files in more than one library is not allowed by the program, it should give an error to inform the user that it isn't able to create the library because that would cause issues.
Since the program already scans everything upon adding, it shouldn't be too hard.

I didnt read much into setting up your drive and things like that because currently I'm just using emby as a streaming program, meaning I copy files into a folder I've set as a library, watch them with a friend, then delete the files.

Yes, ideally, the system should not allow you to create this condition.  It is just a little harder to detect than it may seem so it isn't there yet.  Also, the end goal is to eventually support this.

Valid point Chytharo if you look at it that way!

Back to your issue, do you understand what you need to do to get the results you're looking for?