non-admin-user can visit admin dashboard

Oceanus

On 12/26/2020 at 9:56 PM, cayars said:

The "vulnerability" in itself is that a non-admin can get to any admin section (regardless of what they can see or change).

exactly!

Edited by Oceanus

Thomas64

Could this be associated with a User who is NOT set to "Allow this user to manage the server" still seeing the "Manage Emby Server" icon in the Web Interface?

Should the "Manage Emby Server" Icon even be there for a user not enabled to do so?
Maybe there is some shared code/logic at work allowing both situations to happen?

The user I am logged in as to get this screen snip is NOT allowed to manage the server - but still gets the Icon..
In this instance, the "Manage Emby Server" icon ends up just giving the same exact options as the normal Settings Icon - which makes one of them redundant.

image.png.3f2249e0057ae7d92187af978385ab99.png

For a User who IS allowed to manage the server - both the normal Settings Icon and "Manage Emby Server" Icon give the exact same options (to change user settings AND manage the server). The Emby Server Icon just takes you directly to the Dashboard first.

Edited by Thomas64

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, Thomas64 said:

Could this be associated with a User who is NOT set to "Allow this user to manage the server" still seeing the "Manage Emby Server" icon in the Web Interface?

Should the "Manage Emby Server" Icon even be there for a user not enabled to do so?
Maybe there is some shared code/logic at work allowing both situations to happen?

The user I am logged in as to get this screen snip is NOT allowed to manage the server - but still gets the Icon..
In this instance, the "Manage Emby Server" icon ends up just giving the same exact options as the normal Settings Icon - which makes one of them redundant.

image.png.3f2249e0057ae7d92187af978385ab99.png

For a User who IS allowed to manage the server - both the normal Settings Icon and "Manage Emby Server" Icon give the exact same options (to change user settings AND manage the server). The Emby Server Icon just takes you directly to the Dashboard first.

Unless there is a browser cache issue I have never seen a user that does not have "Allow this user to manage the server" enabled have the option displayed on screen.

Looks like this is a change that I just never noticed.  But does not show any dashboard stuff.

But the issue in this topic is users using urls to get to said locations.

Edited by Happy2Play

You and me both Happ2Play.  I've never held the mouse over the icon to pull up the description. :)

That might however be better with a tooltip such as "Configuration" vs "Manage Emby Server".

Thomas64
21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But the issue in this topic is users using urls to get to said locations.

Gotcha'... Was just thinking maybe the underlying coding was allowing both situations to happen.

Edited by Thomas64