Backup with and without plugin

Turosian

Turosian

Read a question just asked about copying user data to a new server with plugin.  Is there any sort of documentation on things like where config data is stored, and how to back it up with and without the plugin?  I like knowing a bit about systems I'm running so I can tweak a bit.  It would be nice to know what I can expect moving my server from Windows to Linux, and how much my users will have to redo.

As a first attempt moving my Windows server to CentOS, after I got the server up and running, I copied the contents of my Windows "User/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/programdata" into the Unix's "/var/lib/emby" directory (all the subdirectories were the same, so I thought it might work), which resulted in an evil core dump...lucky I backed up the original emby directory before I did that, so no permanent harm.  Still, it should just be a matter of finding the right files and copying them over, not copying over the system/OS specific ones, and then making a few tweaks for the new environment, right?  If only I knew which files to move and which to tweak... :)

Thanks very much,

Hi.  This is in our database but the internal implementations are all subject to change (and have in the past).  That is why we have it in the plug-in.

Turosian

Sorry, but can you give me a quick pointer to where in your database this information is available? (if it is publicly available, that is)

Thanks,

Have you read this knowledge base article? https://emby.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/44001159936

That might help point you in the correct area.

There is no single answer to your question and some information is stored in files on the system and some configuration information is in the database.  So in order to be specific with an answer we would have to have a specific question about what exact configuration item you are referring to.

If you have any specific questions let us know.

I personally backup the directories mentioned in that article as well as use the backup plugin.  I tend to use the backup plugin to help me when I do something stupid like delete the wrong user,  Super easy to restore only certain things with the plugin.

With a backup or xcopy outside of Emby you can keep a backup of all the things that might need downloading again otherwise.  I look at as both methods are good to employ and understand.

Edited by cayars

Turosian

Actually @cayars, there is one specific question.  I will be moving from Windows (Current) to either Linux or Docker, can't decide which.  In both cases, however, the way I am finding to connect SMB shares is to mount them to a path and then use that path.  So, my Video SMB share, which is referenced as "\\SALAMANDER\Video" in the Windows version is now being referenced as "/mnt/SMB/Video" in the Unix/Docker version.  The last paragraph of the instructions you linked says this:

After the Scan

If your library was configured with identical paths as the old setup then user data will generally be preserved as well as user library permissions. You may still want to review the library access for each user to ensure their channel and folder access is restricted as desired.

Does that mean that when I recreate my "Movies" Library pointed to "/mnt/SMB/Video/Movies" instead of "\\SALAMANDER\Video\Movies" that my user data will not be preserved since the movie path is different?  Or will the fact that the relative path is the same be enough?  

**crosses fingers and hopes for relative pathing**

What you'll want to do is edit each library and use the picker (or type it in directly) to select the NEW path as used on linux/nas then remove the PC style drive mapping you presently had.

Try it on your smallest library first and just scan that library.  Make sure you got it working before going nuts changing every library.

Basically just repoint each mount of your library.  Use the GUI or type it in, either way.  The biggest hurdle that get's most people is not setting permissions correct.  You have to make sure the user on windows running Emby Server has access to the files.  Not hard but trips many people us as linux/nas aren't always as easy to configure as Windows.

If you get stuck, just pop back in and ask for help.

Edited by cayars

As for your question on the user data - as long as those items were properly identified with a global ID (like from tmdb) at the time the user data was created, and they are properly identified again after the move, the user data will carry with them (if backed up and restored via the plug-in).

• Like 1