Stuttering on Win10 store app

GunnermanBill
Go to solution Solved by GunnermanBill,

sooty234
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I think you might be missing the fact that he ran this outside of Emby as a test so ONLY one mpv.conf file is used which is from the download of the "official" mpv site with it's defaults and has nothing to do with Emby or Theater and it's MPV.conf file.  Each installation of MPV (standalone or integrated) can have it's own mpv.conf file.

I don't think you understand what I was testing.  I was not testing anything to do with Emby or Theater but just the standalone install of MPV to see if he got the washed out colors or not which he didn't which tells me that MPV itself as the player will work with his files if direct played. No false positives or negatives, just an assumption proved that the problem isn't MPV but a configuration issue of the player.

I can certainly understand why you might think it's a bad test but to me it's a positive test of what I was looking for.

That is completely incorrect.

And I don't feel like explaining further. Have at it.

sooty234
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

Gunnerermanbill try another quick test for me.

In Emby Theater go to your setting and change to using an External Play.  Add a player and set the player to the new install of MPV you installed.  Just set the path to the the mpv app we installed.

Tell me how this played the files forgetting about integration issues you might hit.  At this point I really only care about the main issue you had with color/washed out looking video.  I want to see if they look proper or not.

Thanks,

Carlo

PS you can remove this after the test if you like.

You realize the issue is the picture being too dark, not washed out? There isn't an issue with the metadata, it's a gamma variation. He already confirmed it was the same issue as the one that I linked to.

I'm sorry sotty234, totally not trying to offend you and certainly not saying you are wrong in any manner, but I do a lot of diagnostics and trouble shooting for Emby and have a methodical way of trying things that work for ME (maybe not others) that I've built up over time.

I also have worked with the lead developer of MPV for about a year as we worked on the same software integrating MPV into another media platform and spent a lot of time going over the inner workings MPV and doing development as well as integration work as well as diagnostic work to help him with code so I've got a pretty good handle on it's workings and what to check for and "a way" of troubleshooting that has worked very well for me in the past especially for 4K and HDR content which can be a pain in the ass.

I certainly don't think it's the only way or even best way, but just what works for me in the fashion I tend to troubleshoot things.  Simply put it's just a way I look for issues and the way I try to test this type of thing.  It might only be in my head and not make sense to you or anyone else yet and that's ok.

Please feel free to ignore me and continue to try and help him as you were, as he seems quite up to trying different things and between us maybe we can help him even if we take different paths to get there.  Either you or I might come across something that helps the other to "discover" what the problem might be.

I could be totally off base so PLEASE continue to help as it's very much appreciated!

Again this is just my initial diagnostic test and nothing more but to try and prove MPV can work which it did as he said. Don't read a lot into what I'm asking him to try but please follow your own logic to assist as it's greatly appreciated.

Carlo

PS you posted before I posted this message.  You could totally be correct.  I haven't gotten that far yet.  I ONLY wanted to see how the default MPV install performed on the same media, nothing more or less.

Edited by cayars

Who are you asking?

If me, yes of course as that is part of why I asked him to install MPV as not part of Emby Theater to see how it worked standalone.

Standalone he said it worked correctly and is not having a brightness issue unless I misunderstood him. So in my mind that's a configuration issue of MVP from Emby which needs correcting which we'll get more info on when he tries setting up MPV as an external player.

Edited by cayars

sooty234

*sigh* .... of course you, Carlo. You clearly don't understand mpv. You even keep calling it MVP. This isn't a sport (thank f***). I have more than 30 versions of mpv on my system, with multiple configs. I've tried to offer my experience, but you just want to go your own way. Yes, you have misunderstood the issue. But hey, have fun in your rabbit hole.

Edited by sooty234

Sending you a PM vs public posting but it's not bad in any way. 

I have high respect for your posts and knowledge as you've clearly shown that in the forums.  You clearly know the product and have helped a lot of people!

Please, please, please focus on the issue vs quibbling with me.

GunnermanBill, let us know how you make out trying thing mentioned from both @sooty234 and myself.

We are working this from different angles trying to get to the cause of your issue.

GunnermanBill

so uh anyway

21 hours ago, cayars said:

Gunnerermanbill try another quick test for me.

In Emby Theater go to your setting and change to using an External Play.  Add a player and set the player to the new install of MPV you installed.  Just set the path to the the mpv app we installed.

Tell me how this played the files forgetting about integration issues you might hit.  At this point I really only care about the main issue you had with color/washed out looking video.  I want to see if they look proper or not.

Thanks,

Carlo

PS you can remove this after the test if you like.

This looks fine but the stuttering from the win10 app is back

27 minutes ago, GunnermanBill said:

so uh anyway

This looks fine but the stuttering from the win10 app is back

Stuttering in Emby Theater like it did previously for you in the Windows Store app?

GunnermanBill
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Stuttering in Emby Theater like it did previously for you in the Windows Store app?

yes. just at the start, if i back up it goes away but this doesn't occur with the default settings on the windows theater desktop app or in the web browser.

This is with high bitrate HDR files being direct played correct?

BTW, I sent you a PM.

• Like 1

• Solution
GunnermanBill

So Cayars was able to resolve this during a remote session. The real problem here was I was editing files in the roaming/mpv folder, not roaming/emby-theater/system/x64. My googling never mentioned the appropriate directory. Cayars gets the rep points on this one.

At the same time, Sooty provided a start to the correct options for the mpv.conf file to get me on the path to have the video match the thumbnail colors/brightness

You can use

gamma

brightness

contrast

and probably others i haven't figured out yet. I've managed to get it perfect now.

Edited by GunnermanBill
  • Like 1

I also replaced the mpv used by Emby Theater with this version mpv-x86_64-20200705-git-8fbc4b1.7z knowing there were fixes in it that would help in his environment.

GunnermanBill
1 minute ago, cayars said:

I also replaced the mpv used by Emby Theater with this version mpv-x86_64-20200705-git-8fbc4b1.7z knowing there were fixes in it that would help in his environment.

I had done that too, but in the wrong directory 😛

sooty234

Uuummmm.... I'm suspecting a misnomer, here. With HDR stuff, the thumbnail and the picture you're watching should be completely different. And for SDR stuff, you shouldn't need to adjust very much. And if you are adjusting the gamma etc., you'll need auto-profiles or you'll screw up HDR. 

Can you post the contents of your mpv.conf? Making sure you have no other mpv.conf files anywhere else on your computer. 

sooty234
10 hours ago, GunnermanBill said:

So Cayars was able to resolve this during a remote session. The real problem here was I was editing files in the roaming/mpv folder, not roaming/emby-theater/system/x64. My googling never mentioned the appropriate directory. Cayars gets the rep points on this one.

At the same time, Sooty provided a start to the correct options for the mpv.conf file to get me on the path to have the video match the thumbnail colors/brightness

You can use

gamma

brightness

contrast

and probably others i haven't figured out yet. I've managed to get it perfect now.

You don't realize it, but what you're looking at is total crap. What you've done is ignore shaders, FBOs, transfer characteristics, primaries, the Windows swapchain and possibly more. You're left with garbage. Don't give me any credit toward this travesty.

• 2 weeks later...
GunnermanBill
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Nope everything's perfect

• Like 1