Stuttering on Win10 store app

GunnermanBill
Go to solution Solved by GunnermanBill,

GunnermanBill

Hello,

On multiple machines, I am getting video stuttering during playback with the Win10 store app. This does not occur when I play anything through the web browser. Please let me know what other info to provide to help you get me sorted. Thanks!

Have you tried to use Emby Theater instead of the store app on Windows?

It's far superior.

GunnermanBill

I was using this but on my new HTPC the playback is very dim with the regular desktop app. Looks fine in the menus but when I play a video it's like it lowers brightness 50%. I figured it was because of HDR

You really should only play HDR video on HDR displays and stick with non HDR for non HDR displays.

Emby Theater however can handle this if setup.

sooty234

Use the latest mpv git master build, if you aren't enabling HDR in Windows, then probably add hdr-compute-peak=no to your mpv.conf. But I'd suggest enabling HDR in Windows instead.

There's a recent update that has raised the white point from 100 to 203, so it will look brighter if tone mapping HDR to SDR or watching SDR with Windows in HDR. Clipping has also be updated with better algorithm, to improve tone.

Edited by sooty234

GunnermanBill
4 hours ago, cayars said:

You really should only play HDR video on HDR displays and stick with non HDR for non HDR displays.

Emby Theater however can handle this if setup.

35 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Use the latest mpv git master build, if you aren't enabling HDR in Windows, then probably add hdr-compute-peak=no to your mpv.conf. But I'd suggest enabling HDR in Windows instead.

There's a recent update that has raised the white point from 100 to 203, so it will look brighter if tone mapping HDR to SDR or watching SDR with Windows in HDR. Clipping has also be updated with better algorithm, to improve tone.

HDR is enabled in windows and it is an HDR compatible display. 

sooty234

Then use the desktop app, and replace mpv with the lastest git master build. HDR should automatically play correctly, if SDR is a little too dark for your taste, add gamma=10 to the mpv.conf.

GunnermanBill
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

Or is your issue the same as this?

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/7600

Seems to be the same deal as what's reported there, yes. I have not dealt with nightlies or mpv anythings, but I will attempt what you said as long as it doesn't involve compiling my own release etc. 

GunnermanBill

Doesn't seem to have changed a thing. I had to manually create an mpv.conf and your gamma like is the only thing in it. The thumbnail preview on the slidebar is easily twice as bright as the video it's paying. 

GunnermanBill
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have HDR in Windows enabled?

Yes. Again, hdr in windows, hdr compatible display. 

Try something for us.  Download mvp from https://mpv.io/

How does video look when played via mpv directly?

Edited by cayars

sooty234

Get it form here: git master

Replace your mpv folder in %AppData%/Roaming, with the one I'm attaching.

Edited by sooty234

GunnermanBill
19 hours ago, cayars said:

Try something for us.  Download mvp from https://mpv.io/

How does video look when played via mvp directly?

It looks absolutely perfect when played directly from MPV. I did this by opening the .exe and dragging a video file from my emby server into it.

18 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Get it form here: git master

Replace your mpv folder in %AppData%/Roaming, with the one I'm attaching.

mpv.zip 2.3 kB · 0 downloads

After the above test I did this and it is exactly the same as before. Emby home theater desktop app has low brightness and muted colors.

Edited by GunnermanBill

sooty234

I'm not understanding what you've actually done. Can you explain with a lot more detail?

GunnermanBill
45 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

I'm not understanding what you've actually done. Can you explain with a lot more detail?

cayars said to install mpv from his link, which includes a whole software package including an executable. Video playback is perfect through that.

you told me to REPLACE my mpv folder with your upload, which I did. I deleted the contents of my mpv folder and unzipped your files into it. I do not notice a difference in playback in emby from before/after doing this. It is still very dark/muted. Video playback in emby remains the same from your suggestion.

Edited by GunnermanBill

sooty234

Did you download it from the link I gave you? And I said replace the mpv folder, not delete it's contents. Your results aren't making any sense, so I'm trying to set a baseline, but you haven't established that yet. I need specificity. I need to to know if you use the git master or release. The link I gave you has both, and you need to use one of the first two download links. Either 32bit or 64bit. These contain specific updates that aren't in the release. Then I'll have rewrite parts of the config I gave you. There are several possibilities that are causing what you described. But you also may not be seeing what you think you are seeing. HDR is often dark, as it's supposed to be. Darker than SDR. 

It makes sense.  Gunnermanbill copy the mvp.conf file if present from the install you did to me and replace it in Theater and try it that way.

sooty234

It doesn't make sense, and no usable information has been provided. But if you don't want my help.... It's all yours :)

Sorry I was a bit short on my initial post sotty234.  It makes sense to me because it stepped outside of Emby or it's software and just played the video pack using MVP itself through his file system.  That will usually work with HDR/SDR content 95% of the time with no adjustments needed from my experience.  So when I commented "makes sense" that is what I was referring to.

Now getting it to work inside the Emby client will take more work which is what you're were doing with him in a very logical way!

My test just proved that colors and brightness can be correct on his system using MPV.  Now it's a matter of getting that to work correctly in Theater via DIRECT PLAY and not going through ffmepg/transcoding.

sooty234
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sorry I was a bit short on my initial post sotty234.  It makes sense to me because it stepped outside of Emby or it's software and just played the video pack using MVP itself through his file system.  That will usually work with HDR/SDR content 95% of the time with no adjustments needed from my experience.  So when I commented "makes sense" that is what I was referring to.

Now getting it to work inside the Emby client will take more work which is what you're were doing with him in a very logical way!

My test just proved that colors and brightness can be correct on his system using MPV.  Now it's a matter of getting that to work correctly in Theater via DIRECT PLAY and not going through ffmepg/transcoding.

That's a wrong assumption. It will still read the same mpv.conf. And will the release version of mpv, it will read ALL mpv.conf files. The latest git build has had this corrected, to what it's supposed to be. And with HDR in mpv on Win 10, the process can be complicated. Your direction of testing is providing false positives, and unverified results. You need to set a baseline to work from. You haven't done this. You need to make it work correctly in the standalone, but at present, he's reported two different results. This is why it doesn't make sense.   

I think you might be missing the fact that he ran this outside of Emby as a test.

I don't think you understand what I was testing.  I was not testing anything to do with Emby or Theater but just the standalone install of MPV to see if he got the washed out colors or not which he didn't which tells me that MPV itself as the player will work with his files if direct played. No false positives or negatives, just an assumption proved that the problem isn't MPV but a configuration issue of the player.

I can certainly understand why you might think it's a bad test but to me it's a positive test of what I was looking for.

Edited by cayars

Gunnerermanbill try another quick test for me.

In Emby Theater go to your setting and change to using an External Play.  Add a player and set the player to the new install of MPV you installed.  Just set the path to the the mpv app we installed.

Tell me how this played the files forgetting about integration issues you might hit.  At this point I really only care about the main issue you had with color/washed out looking video.  I want to see if they look proper or not.

Thanks,

Carlo

PS you can remove this after the test if you like.