actor images folder location (Synology NAS)

richardyu301

richardyu301

Can someone tell me where I should put the images of the actors?   I have read related topics and found that the location depends on different OS.  

I already put the folders (from folder A to folder Z) in homes/embysvr/Metadata/People and chose a movie in random but nothing happened.   I also refreshed the metadata and still no luck.

I have set below in the library settings too:

- save to nfo

- save artwork into media folders

Thank you

Edited by richardyu301

richardyu301

Can someone be kind enough to advise?  I just want to know:

-  where I should put the actor images?

- if I have nfo/artwork/.actors folder info together with videos now, will Emby still read the actor images in homes/embysvr/Metadata/People folder (or somewhere else)?

PenkethBoy

actor images - are not supported in the old a to z folders - was removed several months ago

actor images are pulled from online sources and stored in the metadata/library folders - but not by name

.actor folders were IIRC never supported

If you want your own actor images you would have to apply them manually to each actor - not something you are going to do for a large number

You could update the actors images using a script as another option - but would have to write that yourself as i dont think one exists

Another alternative is the People Backup plugin - which may or may not work for you

richardyu301

Thank you.  Can you advise where the actor images are stored (Synology NAS)?  Is it  homes/embysvr/Metadata/People?

Happy2Play

"/Metadata/People" is pretty much obsolete except on really old instailations as the database entries still point there, but no new actors gets saved there anymore.  All people go to \metadata\library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" folder assuming they are downloaded otherwise they have a url in the database.  No metadata is written to nfo, it only resides in the database.

That is why the People Backup plugin was created, to export all metadata and images to a older structure and be able to restore from same.

If you look on Dashboard at the paths section you will/should see your "metadata" location.   (don't fully know this system)

Edited by Happy2Play

richardyu301

Thank you.   

I checked the dashboard and the path is /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata.

So should the actor pictures be saved as follows?

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata/actor A.jpg

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata/actor B.jpg

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata/actor C.jpg

Happy2Play

Sorry Emby no long saves people in the /metadata/people/"a-z" folders.  It dumps all people in the /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx id folders.  So legacy people/imagebyname folders are somewhat obsolete.  You can point the People Backup plugin to said people/imagebyname folder to restore said images assuming person is in your database.

richardyu301

I have to fill in the folder locations:

Path to your People folder: 

Path to your Artists folder: 

Can someone kindly advise what their difference is (they look same to me)?  And should I fill in the copy-from database (local computer) or the server database (/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/metadata)

pünktchen

If i remember correctly, people (actors) need parent folders A to Z and (music) artists not.

But first of all, what is your primary goal?
Do you have already images that you want to restore now or do you want to create a backup for a future restore.

richardyu301

I want to restore actor images to the NAS.   The actor images in my local computer (to restore from) are in A to Z folder structure.   There are also new actor image info in NAS so the restore should combine both NAS and local computer database (if there are already images in NAS then both overwrite or not are ok to me).

pünktchen

Then point the plugin to the parent folder of your A to Z folders. If it's only about actors and directors then only fill in the person folder path, leave the artists folder empty. Remember the plugin will only restore images of actors that are already in your library. It will not create new persons. Existing images in your database get overwritten.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
29 minutes ago, richardyu301 said:

I want to restore actor images to the NAS.   The actor images in my local computer (to restore from) are in A to Z folder structure.   There are also new actor image info in NAS so the restore should combine both NAS and local computer database (if there are already images in NAS then both overwrite or not are ok to me).

You would configure the plugin to your local location of said people images.  Restore will push those images to your Emby installation. 

backup.jpg.afed0b956ca38996393936063a6ca877.jpg

In my example all my images are only backed up to this location and I can restore them from there into my Emby installation.

If there are people in your local folder that do not exist in Emby installation they will not be restored as there is no place within the database to restore them to.

People folder contain character and a-z folders with by name people folders with image and person.xml.

Artists folder contains by name artist folders with image and artist.nfo.

**So ideally you would want to do a Restore first, before the Backup ever runs to prevent the chance current database image from overwriting your current local images.

Edited by Happy2Play

richardyu301

Thank you.  Will this remove the info of actor images currently in Emby installation but not in my backup copy?

pünktchen
Thank you.  Will this remove the info of actor images currently in Emby installation but not in my backup copy?
No.

richardyu301

I see there is a option "backup/restore people and artist metadata from inside your Media Directories (Kodi style)".   I would also like to save the actor images in .actors folder within each video folder.    Can you advise how to set up in Library?  I have already selected "save artwork into media folders" now but there is no option to put actor images within each video folder.

pünktchen
I see there is a option "backup/restore people and artist metadata from inside your Media Directories (Kodi style)".   I would also like to save the actor images in .actors folder within each video folder.    Can you advise how to set up in Library?  I have already selected "save artwork into media folders" now but there is no option to put actor images within each video folder.

There's nothing to setup in the libraries. Just set the plugin option and the .actor folders are created automatically at the backup process. Keep in mind the plugin only backups people images or metadata that where already downloaded by Emby. For this to happen you have to go at least into the movie details screen to get images. For metadata you even have to enter the actors details screen.

richardyu301

Unfortunately after multiple tries it still does not work.   Anyway I don't want to spend too much time fixing this so I simply manually work on a few favourite actors.   

pünktchen
5 hours ago, richardyu301 said:

Unfortunately after multiple tries it still does not work.   Anyway I don't want to spend too much time fixing this so I simply manually work on a few favourite actors.  

But why didn't you ask for help then? It works for me, but of course i'm not perfect and couldn't test every possible system configuration. Maybe it's just a simple error that needs to be fixed on my side that would also help other users. You only had to send me your log file to start with...

richardyu301

Thank you for asking.   Right now most of the actor images are available already.   At least for those I care about.

So if a few tries still don't fix the remaining then I just become lazy and don't want to investigate more deeply.

In the past I spent too much time on managing the software and database.  Now my mentality has changed and if it is good enough then I would rather spend time really enjoying the movies/TV.

I am a Hong Kong guy living in China and the government has made it difficult to access TMDB/TVDB.   So I would rather fixing these issues first as not being able to use scrappers (or painfully slow) is a much bigger problem.  Recently these are at least partially fixed so now I just want to spend time enjoying the screen time instead.

Your kind offer of help is much appreciated anyway.