Android TV long loading time

Dyfcom

Dyfcom
Hello Emby Community,

I use emby now for 3 month on a nanopi with Armbian as a Docker-Server.
But 3 weeks ago on my older Sony Android TV appeard the problem, that when a movie starts, there is a loading time from ~2mins. And today the same problem appeard on my Shield TV 2019.
I updated the Server to the current version 4.4.3.0. The Apps are on the Version 1.8.10g.

All my movies are .mp4 in 1080p with external .srt subtitles and I use direct play.
When the movie starts, it paused everytime by 3s. When I forward 1-2 times or wait 1-15s, the moving is playing fine to the end.

Watching in the browser or via Android phone, the problem don't appear. The movies starting directly.

Greating

embyserver_20200705.txt

Hi I cannot see anything indicating a delay in the server log.  Can you play one of these items that has the problem, and, right after playback starts, back out and send a log from the app?

Dyfcom
On 7/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, ebr said:

Hi I cannot see anything indicating a delay in the server log.  Can you play one of these items that has the problem, and, right after playback starts, back out and send a log from the app?

You mean the debug option in the Android TV App right?

I activated the option and tried with the Local User "Florian" to watch Deadpool at 15:03 eastern time (19:03 UTC)

It was loading again a long time, I stopped when the movie started.

Edit: I noticed, that all Movies stop after the loading time, by 3sec. Only on the Android TV again

Edited by Dyfcom

3 hours ago, Dyfcom said:

I activated the option and tried with the Local User "Florian" to watch Deadpool at 15:03 eastern time (19:03 UTC)

You sent a log from the app at that time?

I did not receive it. Did you get a message that said "Log sent to developer"?  What version of the app are you using?

Dyfcom
8 hours ago, ebr said:

You sent a log from the app at that time?

I did not receive it. Did you get a message that said "Log sent to developer"?  What version of the app are you using?

No I didn't get this Message, didn't used the "Send Option" Button on my User Account, only ativated the "Acitvate Debug Option" in displays. Sorry for that.

The App Version is: Version 1.8.10g.

Now I tried again to watch Deadpool over my local account Florian at 03:43 eastern time (07:41 UTC). With the same long loading time

Hi.  Is an ffmpeg log created on the server for this playback?

If you disable subtitles, does it still take a long time to start?

Dyfcom
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Remember to send the log after doing the test.

I did ;)

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is an ffmpeg log created on the server for this playback?

If you disable subtitles, does it still take a long time to start?

I disabled the subtitles, but the same problem.

I have the ffmpeg log from 12.07.2020 at 15:03 eastern time (19:03 UTC) (in attached files).

How can I create a new log?

I can try a new clean installation in docker.

ffmpeg-directstream-33dff1a4-cae9-4d23-b908-9598af256451_1.txt

Edited by Dyfcom

I don't see any issues on the client end.  It just looks like it is taking 20-30 seconds for the server to deliver the content.  One possibility for this would be subtitles trying to extract on the fly but you said it still happens when you disabled subs (I assume, before playback).

Can we see a new example, with subtitles disabled, and see the app log, server log and ffmpeg log that all go with that one session?

Thanks.

Dyfcom
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I don't see any issues on the client end.  It just looks like it is taking 20-30 seconds for the server to deliver the content.  One possibility for this would be subtitles trying to extract on the fly but you said it still happens when you disabled subs (I assume, before playback).

Can we see a new example, with subtitles disabled, and see the app log, server log and ffmpeg log that all go with that one session?

Thanks.

is there away to force the ffmpeg log? I don't get one anymore

41 minutes ago, Dyfcom said:

is there away to force the ffmpeg log? I don't get one anymore

If the media is direct playing then there won't be an ffmpeg log. Does that answer your question?

Dyfcom
On 7/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, Luke said:

If the media is direct playing then there won't be an ffmpeg log. Does that answer your question?

Yes

On 7/13/2020 at 7:55 PM, ebr said:

So I tried now "Thor: Tag der Entscheidung" without subtitles and with the local user "Florian" at 07:48 eastern time (11:48 UTC). Log is attached and from Android TV sended.

This time, the dircet stream was loading for 30s, then the movie was playing for 2s and stopped for 30s again.

Edit 1: Is it possible that it has something to do with the 2160p display? My server is not powerful enough to transcode, so I use direct play.

Edit 2: I tried "Thor: Tag der Entscheidung" again and now it says "Direct streaming", but is in a mp4 container with ACC and AC3 with H264 codec.

Edit 3: When I stop the movie and start is again, it is direct play again.

Edit 4: Ok, I switched the resolution from my Shield TV to 1080p/60, some movies loading instandly now, some got transcode from 1080p/23,98 to 1080p/60.  So I activated in the option the two points for refreshing display resolution and framing, but this didn't fixed it at all.

embyserver_20200715.txt

Edited by Dyfcom

Hi.  In the app log you sent, the item was being direct played but it was just being delivered very slowly.  There are several time-outs from the player waiting on data to be delivered from the server.

This looks to be some sort of environmental problem like a highly congested wireless network, possibly?

Dyfcom
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  In the app log you sent, the item was being direct played but it was just being delivered very slowly.  There are several time-outs from the player waiting on data to be delivered from the server.

This looks to be some sort of environmental problem like a highly congested wireless network, possibly?

Its all over wired 1Gig Ethernet. I tested with disabled Spin-down on the harddrive, but same problem and only on the Android TVs

I try a fresh clean install from emby, maybe the whole server.

You could try rebooting the server machine as well as your router and see if that helps clear up any possible network congestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here with rpi4, but i'm playing from my gdrive, my cellphone and browser plays perfectly but on Android TV (X905E) is pausing frequently..

But I think is related buffer because if I pause the video around 30 seconds it takes longer to pause for loading, sometimes it doesn't pause anymore

2 hours ago, aerik said:

Same problem here with rpi4, but i'm playing from my gdrive, my cellphone and browser plays perfectly but on Android TV (X905E) is pausing frequently..

But I think is related buffer because if I pause the video around 30 seconds it takes longer to pause for loading, sometimes it doesn't pause anymore

Hi there @aerik, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !