Slow Internet causes buffering on local streaming?

Agesse82

Agesse82

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Emby, I have been using Plex for quite sometime and I have heard good things about Emby from a friend and today I finally installed.

One of the things that made me move is that  I read Emby does not requite Internet to work or stream. .. so... here is my problem.

My internet is being crappy today, I have 300 down and 25 up and today i'm getting 70MB Down an only 12-18 Up. My movies over Plex were buffering too much but I have had internet throughout the day, however its slow and I thought Emby would not require Internet to stream movies on local network, however I have noticed on movies with biterate of around 8-15 MBPS its buffering like crazy and it's playing Direct. These are 8-12MB files H264 or H265 no subtitles.

To me it looks like Emby is acting up based on my internet speed... so it does require Internet to up and to be real fast?
I'm trying to stream to my Samsung 2017 with Emby offical App

How can I set up Emby to stream locally and stream well even if my internet today is not at its best? Any tutorials?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks !

Agesse82

Hello,

Ok, so the issue has been explained in detail above. The only thing I need to add extra is that server is on a Mac

there is no error message... just the buffering issue all the time.

what about my question? Is Emby affected my how fast my internet is for local streaming? 

embyserver.txt

lorac

No it isnt affected by how fast your Internet is for playing locally. The media receiver you are using plays a large role in how well it works as well. Wired vs. Wireless can also make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

rbjtech

I can see from the logs that all machines in question are on the same LAN - 10.0.0.0 - which is fine.    Is any transcoding happening when you are playing (you'll get a separate ffmpeg log plus it will show in the admin panel) - or is it buffering without transcoding ?  Is it buffering on all clients - ie Mac (local playback via browser for example) and TV ?   Depending on the bandwidth requirements of the media in combination with your connection method, it could simply be you do not have enough local bandwidth.

Emby does not use the internet at all for local play - so after any periodic license checks (after the first install), you could disconnect it and it should still stream locally without issues.

Hi.  You say your "internet" is acting up today giving you slow performance.  While Emby would not be impacted by just a slow connection to the internet, I imagine your hardware in use for your local network (your router) is also your internet interface provided by your ISP, correct?  It is possible that it is that equipment that is running slowly which is causing your local network to also perform poorly (especially if we're talking wireless).

Have you tried rebooting that piece of equipment?

Agesse82
59 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You say your "internet" is acting up today giving you slow performance.  While Emby would not be impacted by just a slow connection to the internet, I imagine your hardware in use for your local network (your router) is also your internet interface provided by your ISP, correct?  It is possible that it is that equipment that is running slowly which is causing your local network to also perform poorly (especially if we're talking wireless).

Have you tried rebooting that piece of equipment?

Hi, thanks for the response.

I have rebooted my iMac several times and also the modem/router which is a brand new one. 
My iMac is an i7 4ghz, 16gb ram, 512 ssd 

The only thing i had not rebooted was my TV set. Samsung MU8000 65inch, and yes everything is wireless. 

Agesse82
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I can see from the logs that all machines in question are on the same LAN - 10.0.0.0 - which is fine.    Is any transcoding happening when you are playing (you'll get a separate ffmpeg log plus it will show in the admin panel) - or is it buffering without transcoding ?  Is it buffering on all clients - ie Mac (local playback via browser for example) and TV ?   Depending on the bandwidth requirements of the media in combination with your connection method, it could simply be you do not have enough local bandwidth.

Emby does not use the internet at all for local play - so after any periodic license checks (after the first install), you could disconnect it and it should still stream locally without issues.

Forgot to add this quote. 
There was no transcoding happening. Everything was direct play. I only have Emby on that TV. Via Mac browser it was fine as well, playing it ok. 

I’m thinking maybe splitting my Local Network into 2.4 and 5Ghz and forcing my TV to use the 5Ghz since the router is close to it. Maybe that would help!!

lorac

Have you tried using a network cable? I've noticed with my LG TV that some media has a lot of buffering over Wi-Fi.

Agesse82

Thanks everyone for trying to help me!!

I gave up. After splitting the connection, I set my Tv and server to be on 5GHz, I was able to watch about 15 min of Dunkirk 4K HDR and then all the buffering started again and again and again. Downgraded the movie to a regular 1080P, still buffer from time to time, which is ridiculous now...

Maybe the issue is with my 2017 Smart TV and the wireless technology is not yet ready to support 4K HDR content well..

i will look at alternatives, maybe Apple TV 4K 

lorac

Not surprising. Use a network cabke if possible and it will probably work. You could also try forcing it to transocde.

Agesse82
10 hours ago, lorac said:

Not surprising. Use a network cabke if possible and it will probably work. You could also try forcing it to transocde.

Since my TV only supports NIC 10/100, 5Ghz should be faster, however I will try anyway.

on my IPad pro, the movies streams right away, no buffering at ALL in direct play, so I do believe its either the App on the Samsung TV or the TV Wifi. 

16 hours ago, Agesse82 said:

i will look at alternatives, maybe Apple TV 4K

Unless you are just married to the Apple ecosystem, there will be cheaper and more capable options than that.

Fire Stick, Roku, Mi box...

Agesse82
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unless you are just married to the Apple ecosystem, there will be cheaper and more capable options than that.

I spent pretty much the entire afternoon yesterday reading up and researching many forums regarding those options. 

Firestick 4K many complaints, many people complaining of the same buffering issues.
Roku, its a mixed bag, some good reviews and some bad.
Nvidia Shield Very positive reviews, but too expensive and my ecosystem is Apple.
Apple TV 4K also many positives reviews - the good things about Apple TV is that if Emby or even Plex still does not work well, I can try Infuse 6.

Agesse82
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Ah what the hell, I bought the Roku Streaming Stick Plus, will test it, if it works great, if it doesn't, them I return it

lorac

I have an LG B7 OLED and 4K HDR plays perfect when connected with a network cable. Technically Wi-Fi is faster but the TV doesn't seem to be able to process the data fast enough.

3 hours ago, Agesse82 said:

Since my TV only supports NIC 10/100, 5Ghz should be faster, however I will try anyway.

on my IPad pro, the movies streams right away, no buffering at ALL in direct play, so I do believe its either the App on the Samsung TV or the TV Wifi. 

Are you sure it's only 100mb and not 1gb?

Agesse82
33 minutes ago, lorac said:

I have an LG B7 OLED and 4K HDR plays perfect when connected with a network cable. Technically Wi-Fi is faster but the TV doesn't seem to be able to process the data fast enough.

I just realize how complicated it would be to use the ethernet port, the cables are going behind the wall, it would be a lot of work to trace this cable, let's see if Roku works for me today, I will post the results later today.

5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are you sure it's only 100mb and not 1gb?

The Specs are not listed on the Samsung website, however I keep reading on the Internet that its only 100mbps.

lorac

100 Mpbs is standard for TV's i beleive.

Agesse82

I officially give up.

I bought a Roku Streaming Stick Plus and the issue persistis, I really don't know where the bottleneck is. I can play on my Ipad pro over my wifi just fine, no issues no buffering.

I will return my Roku device and buy an Apple TV, worse comes to worse I will get Infuse 6 instead.

Thanks everyone!!

Why go for the "lesser" hardware/software combos?

Go Android with the Emby Client as it's the flagship of devices for Emby.

Shield TV Pro is the box you want for HDR/4K files using Ethernet cable.

You can get by with a MiBox S which you can try with wifi 5GHz or can get a dongle adapter and use it with gigabyte Ethernet as well.  I like the MixBox S a lot and it's probably my least troublesome box(s).

EZEd
I officially give up.
I bought a Roku Streaming Stick Plus and the issue persistis, I really don't know where the bottleneck is. I can play on my Ipad pro over my wifi just fine, no issues no buffering.
I will return my Roku device and buy an Apple TV, worse comes to worse I will get Infuse 6 instead.
Thanks everyone!!
If both your TV and Roku stick have the same problem with wireless in the same location. Wireless is your problem. When using your iPad are you in the same location as TV? I agree with others. A wire is always better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Agesse82
17 minutes ago, EZEd said:

If both your TV and Roku stick have the same problem with wireless in the same location. Wireless is your problem. When using your iPad are you in the same location as TV? I agree with others. A wire is always better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On my IPad I’m actually farther away, but I also tried on the same room. iPad runs smooth as baby... that rules out Network!! There is really no issues with network, including netflix 4K, YouTube and so on...

Agesse82
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Why go for the "lesser" hardware/software combos?

Go Android with the Emby Client as it's the flagship of devices for Emby.

Shield TV Pro is the box you want for HDR/4K files using Ethernet cable.

You can get by with a MiBox S which you can try with wifi 5GHz or can get a dongle adapter and use it with gigabyte Ethernet as well.  I like the MixBox S a lot and it's probably my least troublesome box(s).

I want to avoid cables at all costs. My setup is really difficult to pass cables... 

lorac

Try going through thr Internet to see how it behaves / lower your network speed in the settings to see if emby transcodes.

A good quality Android unit will probably work for you.