Can not connect as Emby won't recognise my username or password.

JKargans

JKargans

I have noticed today that I am unable to connect to Emby as it says it doesn't recognise my username / password. I was definitely entering the correct details however thought I would change my password on a device that was still logged in just in case it was me… still saying 'Invalid username or password. Please try again'. I am a premiere subscriber if that helps or makes a difference with anything.

rbjtech

So existing connections appear to work ok - but when attempting to re-connect, you get the error correct ?

So a couple of questions -

a) Did you enable remote access ?

b) Did you set a reasonable password on your admin account ?

c) Do you get a list of users listed if you try and login via a browser - do you recognise those users ?

JKargans

Yes that is correct.

Remote access is enabled.

Reasonable enough to me... Reckon I would get a moderate or good on one of those password bars you get sometimes when registering for certain websites.

Recognise all users currently online.

I may have sorted it though now I think. Every time I have logged in previously I have used my email address as username which has always worked (well up until today) however I have just put what my actual username is (which imo is less secure) and it seems to work now.

rbjtech

ok cool - reason I was asking those Questions is to ensure your account had not been compromised externally and it was locking you out of your own system.

My advice is to actually set your admin account to local only - ie no remote access.  Use another non-admin account for your day to day viewing and that can of course have remote access turned on.  If this is ever compromised, then they can do little damage as they have no rights to change anything.

To note, the emby team have no control what-so-ever on your local system - so if you did ever forget your admin password, then short of them/us advising to delete files on your local install and effectively starting the config again, there is not much they can do - so keep your credentials in a password manager 😉